+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is mainstream Christianity becoming more accepting of Jehova's Witnesses?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Is mainstream Christianity becoming more accepting of Jehova's Witnesses?

Maybe with growing secularism in the western world, hardcore Christians are opening up to the idea of considering JWs as one of "them", under the premise that any belief is better than no belief.

Have you noticed that JWs are getting more consideration than they used to? Has any church removed opposition to JWs from their doctrine in recent years?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd be interested just to hear Christians and people of Christian background tell us about how their church considers JWs (and, for that matter, Mormons.) I know they're not always considered by more "mainstream" Christians to really be Christian, but that always sort of puzzled me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

While I don't know about JWs specifically, I know my church has become really big on accepting other branches of Christianity. From there it's not that hard to go to accepting them.

Both JWs and LDS seem to go out of their way to express their beliefs as being as close as possible to mainstream Christianity. One book I got from my JW aunt consisted of perfectly valid (from my church's POV) theology up until the last chapter. And, in that chapter, the only thing that stood out was the idea the Jesus returned invisibly in 1914. And, while he never actually tried to convert me, he also emphasized the similarities. In fact, he seemed surprised when I brought up stuff that I knew was different.

Anyways, my point is that the question is not only if mainstream Christianity is becoming more accepting of JWs and LDS, but whether they are actively trying to get this to happen.

Registered
    Mar 2009

To the best of my knowledge, the churches I have attended do not accept Jehovah's witnesses or Mormons as Christians.
    Last edited by Elyanna; 15 Nov 2009 at 03:06 PM.
    "There are no ordinary people. ... It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." C.S. Lewis

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by BigT View post
    Anyways, my point is that the question is not only if mainstream Christianity is becoming more accepting of JWs and LDS, but whether they are actively trying to get this to happen.
    Yep, that's pretty much what I'm asking. My impression is that standard Christians and JWs are growing closer together. My general question is if this is officially sanctioned by the churches.

Good point btw, Exy, about the Mormons. There aren't any of them where I live though, so I can't tell from observation.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate Christmas or Easter because the dates and traditions did not originate with Christianity but with earlier pagan rituals (Christmas is tied the equinox, Easter to fertility) that were co-opted by Christian authorities to make the religion more appealing. I'd think that would limit just how "mainstream" JWs can be at the end of the day.

Vast Right-Wing Conspirator
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm a Lutheran. Nobody ever mentioned whether Jehovah's Witnesses are Christian or not. As a matter of fact, I can't remember many specific references to any other denominations at all, especially not regarding who is and who isn't a Christian.

The only reference I have any memory of is the joke -
    What do you get if you cross a Lutheran and a Jehovah's Witness?

Someone who knocks on your door, and doesn't say anything.
    Regards,
    Shodan

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Shodan, I think that joke's punchline should be "Knocks on your door, doesn't say anything, and gives you a hotdish."

As for JW's and Mormons, I don't recall ever hearing that they weren't Christians. Then again, I don't recall that we ever talked much about other denominations in church.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I know there's a segment of the Christian population that doesn't believe that the JW or LDS are Christians. To that group, it would be similar to saying that Christianity is a denomination of Judaism. While there may be beliefs that overlap, there's still enough of a difference that many people don't accept "them" (JW and LDS) as part of "us" (mainstream Christianity).

+ Reply to thread