+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to photograph reluctant models?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How to photograph reluctant models?

Can't find the thread I discuss my art work in, but basically I make oil paintings working off photos. Recently I've asked three beautiful women (my GF, my daughter, and a co-worker) if they would be willing to pose for a short period for some photographs for me to make portraits from (fully clothed--I paint nudes but I have severe shyness issues to overcome with all three, so I'm not even going there now--and with my daughter, of course, ever). All three are mulling this offer over, and I suspect that one or the other of them will agree to pose at some point.

How I do deal? What should I do to take a shy, self-conscious person who's pretty uncomfortable putting her beauty on display reveal that beauty in a short period before the camera? Any tips, suggestions, warnings, ideas, etc. appreciated. (I've stressed that I'd only want them to pose for a few minutes--the idea of sitting for an actual painting for hours on end is simply out of the question.) I'll be glad to hear from both experienced photographers and models,reluctant and otherwise.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Registered
    Apr 2009

I take a lot of photos and some of my subjects are not particularly comfortable with or excited about being under the lens. I would say, *don't* make a thing of it being just a few minutes. I have my camera around a lot, I take a ton of pictures of all sorts of things, only a very few of which ever end up being used. It's familiar, therefore less attention-getting. I see you're more of a painter than a photographer, but if you keep a camera on hand for a while and take a lot of shots, you might be more likely to get everyone more relaxed about it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    I take a lot of photos and some of my subjects are not particularly comfortable with or excited about being under the lens. I would say, *don't* make a thing of it being just a few minutes. I have my camera around a lot, I take a ton of pictures of all sorts of things, only a very few of which ever end up being used. It's familiar, therefore less attention-getting. I see you're more of a painter than a photographer, but if you keep a camera on hand for a while and take a lot of shots, you might be more likely to get everyone more relaxed about it.
    This is great advice. Having a few minutes of intense scrutiny under the camera is a good way to make a shy person really uncomfortable and end up with some very awkward looking photographs. Just having the camera around and taking lots and lots of pictures all over the place with little formal "modeling" and then discarding everything you don't need will go a long way towards setting everyone at ease.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think you should follow the above advice. Sometimes the best poses are unposed. Get shots of them in candid situations, show them how beautiful they are, and over time you will build their confidence and get the poses you need.
    I have a grand daughter whose Stepfather is a glamour photographer, and I hate that he has trained her to always "pose" when a camera comes out. It is tough to get good playing shots of her.

Vintage Wrench Collector Tool Talk
    Photographer My Flickr
    PapawsImages
    Brazoria County Forum

+ Reply to thread