+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hot Stove 2009 [Baseball]

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Hot Stove 2009 [Baseball]

Free Agent list looks thin.

I would bring back Andy for 1 more year as you cannot have too much pitching and one year contracts do not hurt the Yankees.

I would pursue a trade with Houston with our young spare parts for Super Two Arbitration eligible Hunter Pence. He has some pop and appears to be a good fielder with a great arm.

The Astros have holes and age everywhere and their farm system is not great at the moment. We can offer them a selection of players from a list that includes Cervelli (C), Romine (C), Laird (3b), Pena (SS/UT), Shelley Duncan (RF/1b), Juan Miranda (1b), Ian Kennedy (SP), Brian Bruney (RP), Kei Igawa (SP), Ivan Nova (SP), Jonathan Albaladejo (RP), Edwar Ramirez (RP) or even Chad Gaudin (SP). Stats for these prospects.

Most of these are spare parts or bench players. I know Kei is not worth much, nor Duncan but like many of the others are major league ready in theory. I would only give up one of Cervelli, Romine, Pena or Kennedy.

Assuming we do not pull off a trade, I would offer Matsui and Damon one year deals and take back only one of them. I am leaning toward Matsui but Damon plays the field. Both put up really good numbers. My hopes would be that Matsui could play 30 games in left and 80 as DH and give us a great bat of the bench for 50 games. This still lets Posada drop to 100 games at catcher and 55 as DH and leaves 25 games for A-Rod as DH. Basically once a week. Assuming Cervelli is not traded I would let Molina walk but offer him a really good minor league deal to be a play coach at whatever level Montero is at. He is the big power hitting catcher prospect that could use all the instruction Molina could give him. I would have Pena be one of our utility men. He plays 2b,ss,3b & OF. I would consider bringing Hairston back but I am not worried about it.

For the starters this gives us CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett, Andy Pettitte and then Joba, Phil Hughes, Wang, Gaudin & Kennedy competing for two spots. Ideally Wang and either Hughes or Joba would win the spot and the other would be in the bullpen. Gaudin would be our long guy and Kennedy would return to Scranton for seasoning.

Rivera, Joba or Hughes, Robertson, Marte, Phil Coke, Gaudin would be the bullpen with one spot open for a large number of people.

So I see no reason to pursue Jason Bay, John Lackey or Matt Holliday. They will all get big contracts and are not really great fits. Keep in mind that Austin Jackson could be on the team and starting in Center by June. We could use a right fielder, a left fielder is useless except on a one year contract. Ideally either by trade or Jackson pushing Melky to Right, Swisher takes over left. The infield of course is set and set for several years.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Red Sox declined their option on Alex Gonzalez. Hopefully they will make a play somewhere for a SS, cause I'm not sure Lowrie can hack it full time.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy View post
    Red Sox declined their option on Alex Gonzalez. Hopefully they will make a play somewhere for a SS, cause I'm not sure Lowrie can hack it full time.
    What do you think they will do about Left Field, Catcher and adding a Starter or two? They don't shed much salary this year, will they raise payroll as the Yanks decrease theirs?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've got know detailed suggestions for the Blue Jays. Just, in general, see if you can find a bullpen that's less terrifying than leaving in the starter, someone solid for the starting rotation, or two someones if you deal Doc, and, hey some guys for the four to nine spots of the order, including, oh, I dunno, maybe one lousy switch-hitter might be OK.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dodgers have 15 free agents this year. The ones we definitely need to resign are Wolf, Belliard, and Padilla. Castro, Loretta, Weaver, Hudson and Ausmus would be nice to have, but not essential. The rest can go somewhere else, if they can.

Manny exercised his option, so we'll see if he can survive another year of every-day defensive play.

Torre is in talks to extend his contract, which expires at the end of the next season. I hope they reach an accord soon. I like Joe, and he has been good for the Dodgers. With Coletti in the front-office and Joe on the field, we are in good hands. I don't think the divorce will seriously impact the team, although it will be a distraction for some time to come.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ah, Manny. The fun will continue, hoo-ray!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    What do you think they will do about Left Field, Catcher and adding a Starter or two? They don't shed much salary this year, will they raise payroll as the Yanks decrease theirs?

For catcher, I'm sure they'll go with Martinez. I really wish Tek would retire and take a coaching job or something, because as important as his work with the pitching staff is, I just don't see the front office paying him much for his poor offensive production (and let's face it, he was never that good at throwing guys out).

As for Bay, apparently he's already turned down a 4 year/15mil contract. They're not going to give him much more than that, I don't think. I'd like to see him stay in Boston, though.

I'm more worried about the bullpen than the starters so long as Matsuzaka, Lester, and Beckett are all healthy.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy View post
    For catcher, I'm sure they'll go with Martinez. I really wish Tek would retire and take a coaching job or something, because as important as his work with the pitching staff is, I just don't see the front office paying him much for his poor offensive production (and let's face it, he was never that good at throwing guys out).

As for Bay, apparently he's already turned down a 4 year/15mil contract. They're not going to give him much more than that, I don't think. I'd like to see him stay in Boston, though.

I'm more worried about the bullpen than the starters so long as Matsuzaka, Lester, and Beckett are all healthy.
    As a Yankees fan I hope it is Martinez, as great as his bat is for a catcher, he is a bad catcher. Varitek has a contract that gives him either $5m (team option) or $3m (player option).

I didn't hear about Bay. He might be overplaying his hand or maybe he is just trying to squeeze out a 5th year.

Do you think Dice K will return to form? I wouldn't have considered that too likely.

Silenus, what divorce?

Rube, I think it will take the Jays a few years to recover from the worst GM in baseball. Doc on the market is a big wildcard in this hot stove season. The other big one is if Tampa puts Carl Crawford on the market.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Silenus, what divorce?

This one.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus View post
    Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and his wife Jamie, the team's chief executive, have separated,
    That could be pretty big for the Dodgers. Bad timing if they do decide to sell.

Registered
    Mar 2009

As a Yankees fan I hope it is Martinez, as great as his bat is for a catcher, he is a bad catcher. Varitek has a contract that gives him either $5m (team option) or $3m (player option).
    It's official, Sox picked up Martinez' option: http://vyous.com/sports/mlb/bostonre...rtinezs-option

Registered
    Feb 2009

Word is San Diego will be trading Gold Glove power hitting First Baseman Adrian Gonzales. This should prove a big pick up for a team that needs a first baseman.

Boston apparently signed Wakefield. Still looking for details.

We need a baseball smiley.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Does anyone know much about Hunter Pence? He is the Super-Two arbitration eligible Right Fielder for the Houston Astros and appears by stats to be a solid and improving hitter with a great arm. Houston has so many holes and money issues that I think he could be traded for in the right deal. How good is he? Do you think his power numbers will improve?

Registered
    Feb 2009

My kid tells me the Jays are working on a three-way deal with the Mets and Cubs that would see Lyle Overbay go to the Mets, and Milton Bradley come to the the Jays (forget what the Mets/Cubs part is). We can live without Overbay, and God knows we could use some slugging, but I'm dubious about Bradley. As far as I can make out, dude's got more issues than National Geographic.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    My kid tells me the Jays are working on a three-way deal with the Mets and Cubs that would see Lyle Overbay go to the Mets, and Milton Bradley come to the the Jays (forget what the Mets/Cubs part is). We can live without Overbay, and God knows we could use some slugging, but I'm dubious about Bradley. As far as I can make out, dude's got more issues than National Geographic.
    That must be part of the Mets & Cubs looking for Castillo (2b) going to Cubs.

Apparently Detroit is looking at moving Granderson (CF) and the Yanks are already talking to them. His numbers are great away Detroit though not so great in the Bronx. His defense is superb overall. He has power and speed. I have no clue what the trade would have to include but this is a salary dump by Detroit. He is locked in until 2012 with an expensive 2013 option year.

Registered
    Apr 2009

I think the Yankees should sign their free agents, all to short term contracts, and add either Granderson or Figgins. I can't see the need to do anything else. I'm a little worried about Posada...hopefully Montero develops quickly.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by SeeOhTwo View post
    I think the Yankees should sign their free agents, all to short term contracts, and add either Granderson or Figgins. I can't see the need to do anything else. I'm a little worried about Posada...hopefully Montero develops quickly.
    Well Pettitte is the really important one. Between Damon, Matsui, Figgins and even Granderson you only need one of them or if you bring back Matsui, maybe Figgins or Mark DeRosa to go with him.

As to catchers. Cervelli is already an excellent defensive catcher with a great arm and hits a lot better than Molina with a lot more foot speed. So at least we have a stopgap while we wait and hope on Montero. Montero is developing quick by the way. He will start in AAA next year and for a 19 year old that is really rapid development.

Registered
    Apr 2009

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Damon was let go. I just can't stand to watch him throw the ball.

I hope the Yanks cool it on free agency and develop players like Montero and Austin Jackson. One of my favorite things as a fan is watching young talent come up and contribute. I really don't feel the need for Lackey, Bay or Holliday.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by SeeOhTwo View post
    I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Damon was let go. I just can't stand to watch him throw the ball.

I hope the Yanks cool it on free agency and develop players like Montero and Austin Jackson. One of my favorite things as a fan is watching young talent come up and contribute. I really don't feel the need for Lackey, Bay or Holliday.
    My feelings exactly. I would prefer to bring Damon back for only one year and let Matsui walk. I don't think Damon will sign a one year.

I think Cashman is really committed to the farm mixed with free agents. If Pettitte returns I don't think they will really pursue Lackey.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Well, now I don't get to see Jackson come up, but how could they not take Granderson? Next they'll probably lose Montero in a package for Halladay and there won't be a Yankee rookie until 2015. Sigh.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Overall the Granderson deal looks sound and at least we traded for a young fast guy well suited to the stadium and not some aging All-Star. He is even cheap by Yankee standards.

His swing is built for Yankee Stadium and if we can correct the hole vs. lefties we will have a really special player. Joe mentioned that we would use him in the 2 hole vs. righties and bottom of the order vs. lefties to start at least. He covered a huge amount of ground and should hit 30 homers easily at the stadium while hopefully getting back to hit better hitting ways of around .290. He strikes out a lot but is a very good base-stealer and under Girardi instead of Leyland is likely to swipe 30. He does not hit into double plays. His arm is below average to weak though by reports.

I had high hopes for Jackson, but he appears to be 3 years away from showing power, so I am not heartbroken by this. So far his defense had not been any thing special, just solid for a AAA CF.

Coke was a very good lefty and still improving. We'll feel his loss the most next year, but not unreasonable for the trade. Kennedy was never likely to contribute and will probably be another Jake Westbrook. He'll be a solid 3-4 guy for another team but the Yanks would not have the patience to wait and develop him.

I really don't think we'll trade for Halladay and I actually think he won't be traded in the end, at least not until June/July.

Montero I would really hate to give up on at all. We have a rookie this year by the way in Cervelli will catch at least 60 games and maybe more.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The big trade: I think the Blue Jays did not do all that well considering their hopes and offers last season. I think the Phillies did fine as the have the best pitcher locked in for 4 years and Lee had little interest in extending. If Lee does not extend with Seattle, they may have given up too much.

As to Lackey, do any sports writers or Theo look at his numbers in Fenway or against the Yankees? They are paying him a small fortune and Fenway is where he pitches close to worse. He made far more sense for a team like the Mets with a nice roomy ballpark and NL opponents. If the Dodgers had the ability to make decisions right now he would have been a very good pick up, but going to Fenway should blow up in their faces. Why is this be hailed as a great move?

Speaking of the Mets, are they actually going to get anything done? They currently have the worst GM in the game in my opinion.

Yanks are fairly quiet at this point. Damon won't go low enough for the Yanks and will move on. Bay is not a good fit overall and Matsui went to the Angels. They will probably pick up a starter and I keep thinking Mark DeRosa would be a perfect fit for the team and he grew up a Yankees fan and has expressed interest in coming to the Yanks.

Anyone got anything?

What do all of you think of the Cameron signing? The Juan Pierre trade to the White Sox with the Dodgers sending about $10 million in cash? Matsui becoming the Angel’s DH for only $6.5m?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Javier Vazquez returns to Yanks along with 24 year old lefty Boone Logan. Yanks send Melky Cabrera and Mike Dunn a promising AAA lefty reliever that was slated to replace Phil Coke. Also a minor leaguer to be named later.

Atlanta got the outfielder they were looking for and the salary relief they wanted.

Yanks got the solid 4 man for the rotation that always gets 10+ wins and alway over 190 innings pitched. He is due 11.5 million and is done. He will be 33.

This will now run up speculation about the Yanks adding a veteran outfielder. Damon and DeRosa will probably be the leading names.

+ Reply to thread