+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help me sort out Imageshack

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Help me sort out Imageshack

I have been cruising the web to find a suitable cover photo for the premier issue of our little infrastructure journal (produced by a non-profit for non-commercial purposes, circulation 300). Via a Google Images search, I found this photo on Imageshack:

http://img82.imageshack.us/i/semanggi1ev1.jpg/

I signed up for an imageshack account, but even so I cannot determine:

1) Am I allowed to use this photo?

2) If I need to credit it or get permission, who is the photographer and how can I contact them?

I guess I have a case of teh stoopids today, because surely the answers to those questions should be obvious. But I use flickr all the time, and had no trouble figuring out their protocols and procedures.

Anyway, thanks in advance if anyone knows enough about Imageshack to help me with this.

(PS - I tried to post this question already this morning but we are having internet trouble and it seemingly vanished. So apologies if this question shows up twice.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hatshepsut View post
    2) If I need to credit it or get permission, who is the photographer and how can I contact them?
    One difference between Imageshack and Flickr is that Imageshack allows you to upload images without an account. If that is the case here then you are probably out of luck. Unfortunately that seems likely because there is no user listed on the page.

Compare that to this image that I posted today:

http://img441.imageshack.us/i/350pxk...iglingfla.jpg/

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks. Why would someone upload images without an account, I wonder? Oh well. It's tempting to just use the image and figure "hey, if you don't want your photos downloaded and used without credit, don't post them on the internet without identifying yourself." But I guess there is no implicit permission for use granted, is there?

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hatshepsut View post
    Thanks. Why would someone upload images without an account, I wonder? Oh well. It's tempting to just use the image and figure "hey, if you don't want your photos downloaded and used without credit, don't post them on the internet without identifying yourself." But I guess there is no implicit permission for use granted, is there?
    I'd say you'd be fine either way, if the thing is non-profit it might be a fair use, you're not likely to be caught. If you're worried you could print somewhere in it that you tried your utmost to get permission for the image's use from its creator.

+ Reply to thread