+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things that annoyed me about jury duty yesterday

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Things that annoyed me about jury duty yesterday

1) Taking the train downtown. OK, the train ride itself wasn't that bad. But the train talks to the passengers. CONSTANTLY. It told me what side the doors would open on. It told me that eating and smoking are not allowed on the train. It told me not to place objects on the seat next to me so that others can sit down. It told me that priority seating is given to the elderly and handicapped. And it told me these things over and over and over. I GET IT.

2) There are individuals who talk as incessantly as the train, in situations where it is not. appropriate. Picture a large room, 9:00 in the morning. It is filled with potential jurors who are half asleep and grumpy due to the necessity to upset their routines and drag their asses downtown to sit in a large room with a bunch of other half-asleep, grumpy potential jurors. They are not talking. They are reading, sipping coffee, staring off into space. Imagine one gentleman with a deep, gruff voice who is engaged in conversation with they guy next to him. Except, it's not a conversation as much as a monologue. For 45 minutes, he doesn't seem to stop even for a breath. I have no idea what he was talking about, but I just wanted to read my book. I don't mind a bit of buzzing conversation, but one person's voice should not drown out the white noise of the crowd. As much as I was hoping not to get on a jury, I was grateful to get called into a court room. Dude. SHUT. UP.

3) Rules like: You may not use a cell phone even to text message, but if you want to use a laptop computer, that's ok. Well, I don't have a laptop, but I would have loved to use that time to send some e-mails from my phone. Why in god's name should that be against the rules? They probably don't want the phones ringing, so why not make it a rule that your phone can't ring? I could mute it and still send my e-mails. I just hate arbitrary, unfair, illogical rules.

4) The final annoyance was an understandable thing, but still irked me. A bunch of us were called into a courtroom, the judge explained it all to us and selected 12 people for questionning (for a 6-person jury), and he and the lawyers asked them a bunch of questions. This took an hour. We were given 1 1/2 hours for lunch. I left, got some lunch, came back, the judge walked in and sent everyone home except for the 6 they selected from the 12. So, that was an extra hour an a half I did not need to be sitting in a food court trying to kill time and eating overpriced food. I know, I know, I should have brought my lunch. Stupid me. Also, I realize that they needed time for the sidebar selection discussion, but it was still kind of annoying.

On a brighter note, I didn't get selected (although I wouldn't have minded too much, since the trial was expected to be over that day), and the $17 they gave me covered my morning coffee, my train ride, and my lunch. So, I guess it wasn't all bad.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 28 Oct 2009 at 10:55 AM.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The gavel-pounding smiley seems especially appropriate here.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I thought that was a nice touch, too, OCS, if I do say so myself.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post

Imagine one gentleman with a deep, gruff voice who is engaged in conversation with they guy next to him. Except, it's not a conversation as much as a monologue. For 45 minutes, he doesn't seem to stop even for a breath.
    This guy (maybe the exact same guy) is at nearly every sit-down restaurant and movie theater I have ever been to.

Shut up! Shut up, you self-important whining dick and let someone else talk, or just enjoy the peace.

Silence does not necessarily need to be filled.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

He was on my train this morning.

He was talking about HIS BOOK.

HIS BOOK would be finished by next month and THE SEQUEL and THE THIRD BOOK would probably be finished by next spring. He loved writing HIS BOOK and he can't believe that the journey is almost over although he's already looking forward to HIS NEXT BOOK or series, he hasn't decided. He's hoping that a publisher will love HIS BOOK.

He kept looking around to see if he had an audience. He was an annoying twat.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali View post

HIS BOOK would be finished by next month and THE SEQUEL and THE THIRD BOOK would probably be finished by next spring. He loved writing HIS BOOK and he can't believe that the journey is almost over although he's already looking forward to HIS NEXT BOOK or series, he hasn't decided. He's hoping that a publisher will love HIS BOOK.

Oh man...the one's that are looking for additional listeners are the worst.

Bastards!

It's almost always men, too.

Shut up!
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali View post

People like that are why we have middle fingers.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

+ Reply to thread