+ Reply to thread

Thread: The NFL at Wembley NE vs TB

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default The NFL at Wembley NE vs TB

Well, it looks as though we have the NFL invading London yet again with the New England Patriots vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

It will probably pick up a large crowd along to watch the fun and games, but is the NFL really that desperate to expand it's audience that it needs to hold one of it's league games over seas.

How do the fans of the two teams feel about the game being held abroad?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I did not really like the Giants game in London a few years ago. I thought the travel time was too long, but as long as both teams are scheduled for byes the following week it should OK.

I don't think it is going to do much to expand the game, I don't really understand what the NFL is thinking. At least when Baseball goes to Japan, Mexico and Puerto Rico there is already a large following. They are strengthening the bonds.

How many people follow NFL Football in England?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Card-carrying NE Patriot fan checking in (I doubt there are any TB Bucaneers fans around here).

I really don't care if the game is in London. The Bucs are the 'Home' team so the Pats still get 8 games at Foxboro this year. I admire the NFL's brand management and believe there will be an NFL franchise in London within 10 years.

(I totally didn't understand the reflexive revulsion some NFL fans had to the idea of the Super Bowl someday being played in London.)

I hear this game at Wembley sold out in minutes. True?

Cat, how much interest is there in the NFL in London? Is it seen as merely a curiosity? Would you characterize it as a cult phenomenon?

Registered
    Feb 2009

This is about as one sided a game as you can get, IMO.

The Bucs just can't seem to win. Maybe a change in continent will do them some good.

I think it's great to expand the league. NFL football rules!
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    Card-carrying NE Patriot fan checking in (I doubt there are any TB Bucaneers fans around here).

I really don't care if the game is in London. The Bucs are the 'Home' team so the Pats still get 8 games at Foxboro this year. I admire the NFL's brand management and believe there will be an NFL franchise in London within 10 years.

(I totally didn't understand the reflexive revulsion some NFL fans had to the idea of the Super Bowl someday being played in London.)

I hear this game at Wembley sold out in minutes. True?

Cat, how much interest is there in the NFL in London? Is it seen as merely a curiosity? Would you characterize it as a cult phenomenon?
    The game sold out quickly to about 84,000 fans. I think there were a lot of fans not just from London or England but across Europe using it as an excuse to see an NFL match live.

There is a far amount of interest in the NFL in England as a whole, and I think it is a bit bigger than just a cult following.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, it looks like Wembley is about to get a couple of games from next year's schedule.

It will be amusing to see a permanent franchise over here. The home and away games would be fun for all concerned. Looks like the NFL is serious about expanding further.

Is there any reason, for not moving into Canada though?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Is there any reason, for not moving into Canada though?
    Canada already has its own professional football league, the CFL. I'm not sure if there's any informal understanding between the two leagues about poaching on each other's turf. They do use more or less the same pool of athletes, but the better players tend to be in the NFL.

I know the Buffalo Bills (an NFL team) are playing one home game in Toronto Ontario this year, even though Toronto has a CFL team.

Many people have pointed out it might make sense for the NFL to get a team in Los Angeles (the second largest metropolitan area in the US) before they expand to London.

+ Reply to thread