Closed thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Middle Earth FA64 D&D Game: Sixth Adventure - Harrying Harad by Sea.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Actually Deor and Ghan, of great use would be refills for the Injection Dagger of paralysis and sleep. I seem to have run a little low in that last fight. Can you think of anything anti-troll I could use as well.

Is there any chance of Gilraen doing something similar against the undead. A holy water of some kind?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Ghan will be happy to help make the refills.

Gilraen thinks about and says, "Mulligan, I do believe that given time and the right location and equipment I could help you, but there is nothing I can do here and now to help you against undead except offer a small herbal brew that might or might not cause them some extra pain. I will work with Ghân on this."

The potions will go to those not getting other items.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    ...Gil-Gandel pieces together that the Lords of the town may have sent sacrifices to the local undead beasty to appease it....
    Can Thoroncir and Gilraen (using her Rod of Kanotir, as noted above) learn any more than this, such as what the sacrifices were, and how often and where they were made? The Sea-knight captain would also like to know as much as possible about the exact nature of the undead creature - its age, habits, tastes, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Thoroncir and Gilraen using her Rod of Kanotir work with Deor and Gil-Gandel and find the following.

Many of the tales of sighting do not hold up are a mish-mash of other stories or even retold lies.

The more trustworthy stories make it sound like a fiend that eats the victims alive and turns them into undead slaves. It appears it favors the young over the old. It seems to prefer the plump. Rumors have it as anything from a dark maleficent shadow creature of the night to a fearsome dead look human with long pointy teeth and a foul odor. The sacrifices are made twice a year but many local disappearances outside the town are attributed to the creature. To this day not one victim has returned but a party of soldiers was accosted many years ago and one recognized one of the assailants as wearing clothing of a sacrifice from the year before. He knew the clothing as the sacrifice was a young cousin. These attackers were led by a shadowy creature that never directly fought in this case and led and company of 6 dozen decaying undead humans. Zombies would seem to be a good word for them.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Actually Deor and Ghan, of great use would be refills for the Injection Dagger of paralysis and sleep. I seem to have run a little low in that last fight. Can you think of anything anti-troll I could use as well.

Is there any chance of Gilraen doing something similar against the undead. A holy water of some kind?
    Yes, certainly. Give me something to do today. I'll see if I can come up with the necessary ingredients around here.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir rubs his chin thoughtfully upon learning more of their prospective foe, and prepares his weapons and gear for the adventure yet to come.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Port Hatha is fairly well subdued within the 10 days the party stays and recovers. Then it will be off to the next mission.

Hatha itself is apparently an old name of a long ago local King. There was over a thousand years ago a much larger city not too far that was called Hatha but war and then the desert largely reclaimed the lost city of Hatha and no one knows how much further back in time King Hatha lived.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bitur is interested in the paralysis cure flask, and depending on how the potions get divided a cure potion or fire resistance potion as well.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh well, I wonder if we are going to wind up hunting around a lost city avoiding Trolls and the Undead.

I wonder what treasures I can find.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It had been late in the afternoon on the day of the fall of Port Hatha, and the shadows had grown long on the ground, when the knight-errant finally found his princess.

Gilraen was in the front yard of the inn under a shade tree, briefly resting on a crude wooden bench from the strains of her work as a healer. When she saw him approach, she rose to her feet at once. Thoroncir dismounted from his horse, tied the reins to a sword-scarred post and strode over to her, casting aside his helmet and caring not where it fell. She flew into his arms, and they embraced, then kissed. The rest of the world seemed to utterly drop away.

"I have missed you, my love," she said finally, smiling shyly, but heedless of the curious and admiring stares of a passing battalion of Gondorean men-at-arms.

"You have again proven yourself a mind-reader, my lady," he replied, brushing a curl of hair away from her face, "for I missed you, too, more than I can say." He saw neither the bloodstained hem of her dress, nor the sleeves torn to serve as bandages, nor her smudged cheek. He saw only the beauty, grace and wisdom of the woman he loved more than life itself.

She looked up at him. "I realized this was the first time we have been apart, and you in such danger, since... since what happened on the road from Tharbad." She did not have to say, Since you almost died, but he seemed to hear it just the same. "I worried about you so. You are unharmed?"

"Yes," he said lightly, "but had I been otherwise, at least I might have been brought back here for your healing touch forthwith, and thus seen you again all the sooner."

She smiled a little. "You should not make jests of such things. Better late and unhurt, than early and wounded, say I. How are your men?"

"Some casualties, but lighter losses than I had feared. None of our friends were hurt, I think, but perhaps you know more of that than I. You should be proud of Theogrim, in particular, for he led bravely and fought well at my side. Victory is ours! We now hold the field, and the city." He paused. "I am sorry, however, to say that my horse was killed."

Her hands went to her mouth. "Oh, no, poor Seafoam! What a shame. Alas! Oh, I am so sorry, Thoroncir."

"As am I," he said heavily. "But the dark wizard who slew her has paid dearly for his villainy, and will trouble us no more. For now, I ride a borrowed mount. Tell me, my lady, how are things here?"

She gestured behind her. "We have set up a hospital, of sorts, and are helping the wounded as best we can. It has been a very long day, and I confess I had to rest for a moment. But seeing you now, oh, my beloved Thoroncir!" She smiled at him, and wiped away a tear. "It has lifted my spirits more than anything else could have. I am so glad - so relieved - to have you safely back again."

"There was never a moment when I was not praying for your safety, and looking forward to this moment, my love," he said. For she stood like a Vala in his eyes, aglow and pure amidst the dust and blood of the tumbledown inn's yard, and he drank in the very sight of her.

They kissed again, and at length he said, "I have word of your father. Gen. Haldon says the King is well, but remains at war to the south; he is not expected here anytime soon."

She looked disappointed. "Then your meeting must await another day, alas." A wounded man cried out in pain from an upper room of the inn, and with a start she said, "I must now return to my work, my love. Please excuse me."

"Of course. I am to meet again with Gen. Haldon and Marshal Ailred in an hour; may I help you in the meantime?"

She took his hand. "Well, let us see how Ghan is getting on, and I'm sure we can find something for you to do...."

Once again they were content simply to be together. Despite his weariness from the rigors of battle, Thoroncir felt renewed in the presence of she who loved him more than any other, just as he loved her; as ever sworn to her service, and glad to provide it once more.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 10 Feb 2010 at 02:04 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Bitur picks up 3 potions: Fire Resistance, Speed & Cure Paralysis and 500 gold. No level.
    Sir Thoroncir does gain level and now has 67 HP and 200 GP.
    Gilraen does not make level, 1 potion of Fire Resistance, some rewards of gems and jewels.
    Gil-Gandel goes to 3rd level Bard. Get the 12 +3 Arrows & 200 GP.
    Rorimac Brandybuck makes 6th level Ranger. The Cloak of Invisibility and 200 GP.
    Mulligan Took makes 8th level Treasure Finder (Thief) and picks up a potion of Fire Resistance and around 1000 GP in valuables.
    Deor does not level but picks up the Red Shield and the Wand.
    Theogrim makes 5th level gets the +5 heavy lance and 300gp.

Sala would be happy to act as a scout for you and a provisional member if you will have him on your next adventure. He is lawful neutral and extremely good with his magic rapier.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 07 Oct 2010 at 07:41 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

We have some heavy hitters now! Sala is more than welcome, especially as someone who is familiar with local customs and so on.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir is a little suspicious of Sala but willing to let him come along, since Gil-Gandel does not object. Does the swordsman know any more about the rumors around town of past encounters with the undead?

The knight-errant will also seek out Garan, his second cousin, for news of Linhir generally and his family specifically, and will buy him an ale or three at the inn.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well if Gil-Gandel and Gilraen will vouch for him, then accepting Sala as someone who can guide around the area will be useful.

Mulligan is glad for the large number of heavy hitters seeing as we are going troll hunting.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Not to mention solid local scouts! I'm pleased to have Sala on board.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Gwaelur made level and is still with the party. He is now 7th.

Sala knows a bit about the old town. It is said on the nights of the new moon, that phantom building can be seen there and horrors walk the streets.

Garan is happy to discuss home though he knows only a bit more than Thoroncir.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Is there any tradition of fine jewelwork, silversmithing or the like among the craftspeople of Port Hatha? Thoroncir would like to buy a gift for Gilraen.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Bitur had found, their finest craftsmen seem to work in driftwood and glass beads. However as a trade town there are some finely made pieces of jewelery made from Ivory and other of gold and silver of course.

Registered
    Sep 2009

When they take a stroll through the shops or the merchant district, Thoroncir will note which jewelry the Princess admires and buy a fine piece for her - a bracelet or necklace, perhaps, or earrings.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It is rather odd, but she seems to take no interest in the jewelry but does take interest in some of the bags in one stall. You notice she seemed attracted to a small pouch with beads sewn onto to it in the shape of an dragon. The pouch is made of fine kid leather.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If he can afford it, Thoroncir will later go back, haggle a bit and then buy it, and present it to her in private.

Yes, I know Valentine's Day wasn't celebrated back then.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The pouch costs a surprising 12 gold. Seems a little high but the beads are apparently of a local gemstone.

Sala is earning his keep by coming up with a map of the ruins of Hatha.

Sandy and Ghân both wish the party luck but are staying out of this one. Sandy and Dugar are staying with the army and Ghân is busy helping the town. His magic will be needed to feed the town and the army and he is not the best at fighting the undead. He will give out 200 goodberries for the party to take with them though. They will be good for 8 days.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir will haggle a bit and see if he can get the price down, but he will ultimately buy it and give it to Princess Gilraen in private.

He bids farewell to Sandy, Dugar and most especially Ghan.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Deor spends the time chatting up the townsfolk, learning what he can about the South, and practicing with his new wand. He'll also keep on the lookout for anything small and exotic that he might take back to his family as a gift or to adorn his new house; spices for his mother, good pocketknives for his brothers, or maybe a piece of local artwork. What's the local specialty? Painting, carving, metalwork, glassware, maybe?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Material souvenirs are of less interest to me; that must be well-made man's work that would endure long enough to seem old to an Elf! I would be more interested in taking away memories, songs and stories.

Also I shall meet up with each of our new arrivals one at a time, and get to know them over a glass of wine and a little harp-music, acquainting them with some of the places we have been and deeds we have done, and finding out about their abilities and their preferences.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Bitur reminds Deor that their finest craftsmen seem to work in driftwood and glass beads. However as a trade town there are some finely made pieces of jewelry made from ivory and other of gold and silver of course.

Deor finds some spices to take back but nothing particularly good as far as pocket knives or the like. The driftwood carvings are excellent. It would be easy to spend about 35 gold.

The 12 gold for the pouch was after haggling.

These southerners have mediocre wines and average ales but they have a fine and odd cinnamon liquor that Gil-Gandel fines pleasing and pleasingly strong. Their music is not well developed but they are enamored with yours.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Excellent! Deor will spend 40 gold on driftwood carvings, mostly for him but at least one good specimen for his mother. He'll try to buy several small but excellent ones, and only one medium sized one (no larger than a grapefruit). If there are any with a hawk-related theme, he'll pick up on that in particular.

A cinnamon liquor? Deor will pick up a small flask of this, too, as long as it can be had for less than 10 gold.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    ...The 12 gold for the pouch was after haggling....
    Ah, well - she's worth it! Does she like the gift? How does she intend to use it?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Closed thread