Closed thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 229

Thread: Middle Earth FA64 D&D Game: Sixth Adventure - Harrying Harad by Sea.

  1. #101
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Any other instructions?

  2. #102
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    No, unless I've left some ambiguity which will be ruthlessly exploited to my dismay. Otherwise, I'm good. :wink

  3. #103
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Now that the ring of fire is dropped, assuming the Men of Gondor aren't having any difficulties in dealing with Inn, and the wall assault is pretty much under control, Bitur will command a reasonably sized group of men to follow him deeper into the town to flush out any forces that might be hanging back for now.

  4. #104
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Don't forget these guys from post 92:

    Gil-Gandel... sees far off that a well built ship is launching. He also sees a knot of mounted warriors, 28 in number are coming down out of the hilltop central keep leading 50 well armed and armoured men. They appear equipped with chain mail and sturdy spears and cutlasses. The mounted warriors are a mixed bag, 8 appear to be on large chargers with chain barding and the rest on smaller mounts with leather barding. All of the men have long spears and chain mail on except one in glistening plate on the largest charger. His lance is black.

  5. #105
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Unless I'm mistaken, my character is not aware of them at this point.

  6. #106
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    Gwaelur is going to go with Bitur's group. He is still not 100% so he will be mostly using his xbow.


    I still need to get back into the swing of things. But I should be able to participate like normal again after the Thanksgiving holiday.

  7. #107
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Hoopy Frood View post
    Unless I'm mistaken, my character is not aware of them at this point.
    That depends on how much detail I'm able to pass via horn-calls - we had the trip down to become conversant with any code system Gondor uses, and I have an excellent instrument which I've been putting to use per my earlier post.
    Librarians rule, Oook

  8. #108
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    I think we're ready to take on the rest of the town now.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  9. #109
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Bitur and Dugar form the center of a heavy infantry wall that heads into town. Gwaelur is just behind them with his magic crossbow loaded and ready.

    Another group has broken into the inn and are taking possession of it.

    Deor spots via Folca and the horn calls the mounted counter attack coming down the hill and threatening to break through the Dwarves and infantry. He waits until they are close to the Gondorian line and tosses a web across the street from building to building at a height of about 5½ feet. It causes great distress and damage to men and horses and breaks the charge. The Dwarves especially can go right under it and wreak mayhem. The fighting is swift and deadly for the town’s defenders. Gwaelur sends 4 bolts into one of the leaders seriously injuring him before two infantrymen bring him down. Many of the best defenders are trapped in the webs are quickly dispatched.

    Gil-Gandel sees the bow work nearby is nearly done. No defenders are sticking their heads out in view of his section of the wall. The bulk of the light infantry and freemen are now on top of the wall and Gil-Gandel may wish to find higher ground or descend into the town itself. He cannot cover the heavy infantry any longer. Rorimac has the same concerns of course.

    Sandy has completed the capture of the ballistae to the east of the north gate.

    Mulligan finds Deor and hands over the wand and pouches and command word.

    The remaining 80 Knights of Gondor led by Aestirion now ride into the town to assist and are directed to the port fast. This brings a total of 420 men in the town or on the walls and still leaves the 300 heavy infantry digging in between the wall and the returning armies with 5 ballistae.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The vanguard of the returning troops passes the wooded position and the wait is now short. The scouts reach the heavy infantry position and the waiting is over, Sir Thoroncir signals Cenwig to blow for the charge. Orodreth thunders out to the left, Theogrim leaps forward and Thoroncir comes from the right. The attack has the full element of surprise and the nearly 100 horse cut the retreating army in two. The ballistae sing out and the heavy infantry surges forth to add to the chaos.

    Marshall Ailred of Rohan sends his cavalry racing forward to complete the destruction. General Haldon has his infantry double-timing it now. The orderly retreat is now a rout.

    Thoroncir finds the retreating army wearied and many are injured. He senses they may be ready to surrender.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    The Elendil is taking a toll on the large North Tower and covering the smaller ships as they slips into the harbor to attack the outer docks.

  10. #110
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Sir Thoroncir is very pleased by how the battle is going. He raises his lance and shouts to his bedraggled foes, "Halt, men of Harad! Throw down your weapons at once, and you will be spared. Yield in the name of the King!" He orders Cenwig to sound the signal to halt the charge and to accept surrender, if offered (assuming there is such a horn call or calls), and passes the word through couriers to Theogrim and Orodreth, as well.

    If the enemy reforms their lines or otherwise looks to be exploiting the pause in the charge, Thoroncir will order its immediate resumption.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 30 Nov 2009 at 12:20 PM.

  11. #111
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    "Geez! Did you touch that with your bare hands? Well, I'm glad it wasn't rigged." Deor will carefully transfer the wand and pouches to his cloak. He'll then try to make his was quickly to safety, since he's running low on spells for the day (only 1 3rd and 2 2nd levels left). Folca will stay high and ready to spot anything coming at us, especially from above.

  12. #112
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Mulligan to Deor.

    Well he was trying use it on me at the time, so I figured I should be safe to pick it up. Produces a nice jet of flame. There is also a glowing red hot shield back there you may be intererested in as well, and the mage is paralysed and tied up over there.

    I'm going to head for the main tower and see if I can get in, hopefully before they barricade it shut. Let the others know, thanks.

    Mullligan fades back out of sight and heads off for the main tower.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  13. #113
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Sandy will follow Gil-Gandel in whicever direction he wants to go to pin down more of the defenders.

    Rorimac will make sure the ballistae are in good working order to be used either inside or outside the wall and also make sure his section of the wall is secure.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  14. #114
    my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6,993

    Default

    Once Theogrim receives word from Thoroncir, he will call out to the enemy to lay down their weapons and be spared.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

    find me at Goodreads

  15. #115
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    After several minutes of fierce fighting from the side ambush of fresh mounted and well armed and armored opponents and the charges from the rear and in front where they thought safety lied, a large number of those in the retreat surrender, toss down their weapons or even drop to the ground in defeat. There still remains many that do not and a knot of horseman are riding away from the battle to the south. There are at least 50 of them riding off. Those still resisting can be numbered in the low hundreds. Most of them seem to better armed.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Mulligan back to invisible sights a man appear behind one of the rearmost infantrymen and stab him in the back and then flee and fade away. Mulligan is about 100 yards from the spot where the backstabbing occurred.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Awaiting word from Dwarves and Elf.

  16. #116
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Excellent. Theogrim, want to take 60+ men and chase south after the escaping knot of horsemen? Thoroncir can, in conjunction with Marshal Ailred's and General Haldon's forces, press the attack against those remaining but still resisting.

  17. #117
    my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6,993

    Default

    Gladly! Finally, a chance to let the horses stretch their legs! I'll quickly rally a company of horsemen, and we'll pursue the fleeing enemy.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

    find me at Goodreads

  18. #118
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Are any defending inside the town surrendering as well? If so, Bitur will command part of the infantry to relieve those of their weapons, while he takes the rest of the infantry to continue attacking those who don't.

  19. #119
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Sadly none are surrendering inside yet. They do not yet appear to realize the North Wall is lost and returning army cut off and routed.

  20. #120
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Best to strongly confront those coming down from the keep, methinks.

  21. #121
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Well that's one way to pique Mulligan's curiousity. Looks like she is not the only one running around invisibly. Time to go and see who got stabbed, although I am expecting it to be a trap and someone to try and throw something to make her visible at just the wrong time.

    Seeing as outside looks like it is under control, Rorimac will try and get the troops to turn the ballistae around to cover those coming down from the keep.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  22. #122
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Is there higher ground nearby? I'll take any chance I can get to spot fresh developments, having much the keenest sight of any of us. Otherwise, I'd like to find somewhere I can get close to the enemy, call for a lull in our attack, and try a spot of bardic charm, with the suggestion option: that having fought bravely and dutifully for their Lords, they now accept the mercy that King Elessar extends to those whose only fault was to do as they were told. With a spot of Rivendell harp accompaniment, I should be able to get about a quarter of any audience I can find to consider such a suggestion carefully.
    Librarians rule, Oook

  23. #123
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Deor will try to find a good place to get out of the way, and keep an eye on events through Folca. He knows a group of dwarves began clearing out at inn- maybe that would be a good place to hide out.

  24. #124
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    The Gate Tower would offer a high spot covering the lower north-east section of the town. The Inn's Roof would cover a bit more. The Wall Tower just past the rows of the tenements would provide more coverage of the center of town though.

    Deor might find just following behind the infantry the safest place.

    Ghân has headed over to help the battle outside as his talents lend themselves more outside of the town.

    Mulligan sees the fallen ally is one one of the lighter armored infantryman and he is dead from a back stab. What next?

    Rorimac suggests and several men quickly turn the ballistae around. Others call for support to take the towers of the gate. They could use a good archer.

    With most of the horse riding off in pursuit of those fleeing and the Gondorian Army still not on top of them, a grizzled veteran rallies his men and is trying to form up a defensive position. They are not there yet.

  25. #125
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Thoroncir ruefully shakes his head; some people just don't know when to quit. So be it! He orders Cenwig to sound the signal to resume the charge, sets his lance, and leads his 40-some remaining knights and the heavy infantry as they close in. Elendil!

  26. #126
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Hold on, was that one of our troops stabbed in the back or one of the town militia we are trying to subdue?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  27. #127
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    It was a man from Gondor that was stabbed in the back.



    Theogrim realizes his horses are much fresher and appear swifter. He knows he has the advantage of speed.

    You have 60 to their 50 or so. How do you wish to order your men?

  28. #128
    my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6,993

    Default

    Split into three groups of twenty! One group overtake them on the right side, one group overtake them on the left, and one group keep them bottled up from the rear. When they see they are in danger of being surrounded, perhaps that will make them reconsider their course of action. And if they don't, then at least we are in a good position to strike at them.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

    find me at Goodreads

  29. #129
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    The pursuit begins in earnest.

    A dozen horsemen on the swiftest horse break free.

    Theogrim has confidence his horse can keep up and will have more endurance and the horses of the Sea Knights are all swift if nowhere near as enduring.

    This leaves 37 slower horses in poor order as the bulk for the entrapment.

  30. #130
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    If he could spare the time to look, Sir Thoroncir would approve of Theogrim's disposition of forces.

  31. #131
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    To the Wall Tower, having weighed up the options. Take some archers with me in case we spot something worth shooting.
    Librarians rule, Oook

  32. #132
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Deor will stick close to the infantry as they clear the town, carefully watching his own back and flanks to avoid any nasty surprises.

  33. #133
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Oh dear.

    If they have someone who can drop in and out of invisibility like that, then it could be a problem.

    I'll inform Deor and Ghan to see if the have any anti-invisibility spells that may help and then head for the slightly unprotected flanks of the troops and wait.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  34. #134
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Well, I have Invisibility that could be cast as a counterspell, maybe. Not sure what that would do. It might force him to visibility for a time, or even invert what his ring does temporarily. But I'd have to know where he is to cast it, and he'd probably have to be invisible at the time, which might be tricky.

  35. #135
    my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6,993

    Default

    I will break away with my twenty to pursue the faster fleeing foes, and call to the remaining forty to form more of a V and continue working to flank and encircle the slower ones.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

    find me at Goodreads

  36. #136
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Gil-Gandel climbs the wall of the tower with the other archers protecting him. He makes short work of it as the tower, especially on this side is not well constructed. He gets to the top, pulls over and sees the tower is manned by 4 men ready to skewer him.

    Mulligan is watching the flanks and he sees a cloaked figure appear and stab at another man of Gondor. This time the stroke does not kill. Mulligan is about 40’ away.

    As Thoroncir is trying to break the small rally around the vet, another group coming to reinforce them are Entangled by Ghân. He gives a small salute to the Captain and scurries off fast. Thoroncir gets a bead on the vet and completes his charge lance firm bowling him over. He leaves the lance and draws out Cirist. Having the advantage of height, strength and magic sword, Thoroncir cuts his foe but the Vet hits his horse for 7 points. Thoroncir hits again and the vet goes down. He glances around and sees a rider than could use help and strikes down another foe.

    Theogrim leads the pursuit of the flying foes. As they spread out he pursues one himself and is slowly overtaking him. His other wings of 40 close in on the 37 and pitched battles ensue. About 6 of Theogrim 20 break of pursuit to aid in the larger battle. As the crash in it turns the tide and the numbers begin to favor Rohan and Gondor dramatically. They soon surrender and give over 28 fairly healthy horse.

    Theogrim finally gets to a clear field and sets his horse to a full gallop and overtakes his foe. He does 28 and knocks his foe from his beast. He charges over the foe letting the huge War Horse of Rohan complete the job. He turns to see where he can help. He spots a few other pursuits and off course there is the main battle still.


    The three Dwarves are in heavy fighting in the middle. Armor vs. horse. So far armor is winning.

    What does Rorimac do next?

  37. #137
    my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6,993

    Default

    Theogrim will trust his men to finish the main melee and devote himself to attempting to ride down the fastest remaining fleeing foes.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

    find me at Goodreads

  38. #138
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Rorimac will get the troops to use the ballistae to aim and give warning to the foes that Thoroncir and Theogrim are fighting. If they know the city has fallen then it is likely they will stop.

    40' is not that far in elven boots. Mulligan runs for the figure aiming to jump him with a dagger if he strikes again. If she can grab his cloak and stop him vanishing him, so much the better. Otherwise, if he vanishes again, try and track him by footsteps as he moves away. Hopefully, she will be close next time.

    Sandy will be providing cover to Gil Gandel as best he can.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  39. #139
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    If he can do so safely, Thoroncir will dismount and permit the injured horse to run away. Then if another horse is close by, he'll grab it and mount up, continuing the attack. Otherwise he'll remain mounted and will dismount only when all of the enemy are dead or have surrendered.

    He's not having good luck with horses today: first the late lamented Seafoam, and now this....

  40. #140
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Anything else or is it time for the next update?

  41. #141
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Deor's still sticking close behind the advancing infantry, ready to cast if strictly necessary, but hoping he won't have to.

  42. #142
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Fighting the exhausted army in the field is going very well the knots of resistance are quickly broken down. Thoroncir finds a chance to quickly change horses again.

    Theogrim rides down another fleeing foe that surrenders his weapons and rides back to the main mass. Within 30 minutes the battle outside is over.

    Inside the town, Mulligan grabs the man by the cloak just as he turns invisible and she strikes a blow the fells the man.

    The riders have swept around behind the town’s riders and act as the hammer against the Dwarves anvil. The street fighting is tough, but after about 15 minutes, the tower falls to The Elendil’s trebuchets and the sailors land and seize the docks. From here on the fighting is fierce but one-sided.

  43. #143
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Remounted, his longsword Cirist flashing in the sun, Thoroncir makes sure that his men now press their advantage. He seeks out Aestirion and Orodreth to see how things are going for them. His orders remain: "Slay all who resist; disarm and take into custody all who surrender."

  44. #144
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    The invisible taking out the invisible. If he is still invisible, remove any rings or pendants by touch until he reappears. Then his cloak as well.

    Once visible, tie him up neatly.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  45. #145
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Mulligan on contact with her foe, can now make out his shadowy form, he is trying to twist away and is pulling out a dangerous looking ornate dagger as he twists.

    Deor hears the odd struggle but does not see it but does see blood spurt from an invisible source.

  46. #146
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Below is my understanding of how counterspelling works in this game- correct me if I'm wrong, and act on it if I'm right
    Deor, on seeing blood spurt from the air, immediately casts Invisibility as a counterspell, hoping to make whatever's going on here visible so he can help deal with it.

  47. #147
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    A man appears, he is unarmored and bleeding from the side. He wears a dark gray jerkin and pants. Soft boot also gray. On one hand is a fine silver ring with a clear jewel about 2 carots in size. In the other is a deadly looking dagger.

  48. #148
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Deor will shout for help, then circle around behind the man Mulligan's tangling with, maintaining at least fifteen feet of separation from the man. He won't engage if he can help it, but he might be able to distract the man enough to allow Mulligan a backstab before the rest of the infantry can pile on.

  49. #149
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Four men ready to skewer me? Let's try out this Stunning Discord spell I worked out under Bombadil's tutelage, then. Follow up by going to sword and having at them - for a mere minstrel I'm not unhandy in a fight, especially if there's scope for manoeuvre in a confined space to keep them from getting at me all at once.
    Librarians rule, Oook

  50. #150
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Deor just became my favourite magic user.

    Looks like he is wearing things to help him move softly and not necessarily protect when visible. However, I would guess he is likely to turn himself invisible again as he already has done.

    Move in and attack with a dagger to keep him occupied. I would prefer to switch to a sling, but I don't think I have the time.

    If he moves towards Deor or even looks like throwing a dagger at him, either backstab or jump our not so invisible enemy.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Closed thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts