Closed thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 229

Thread: Middle Earth FA64 D&D Game: Sixth Adventure - Harrying Harad by Sea.

  1. #51
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Sir Thoroncir listens carefully to the intelligence gathered by Folca, and agrees that burning the city is out of the question (although a few small fires could draw off some defenders and then be relatively easily extinguished once we capture the city). A coordinated, simultaneous attack on one or more of the gates, as well as sailing into the harbor with our smaller galleys laden with troops, just might overwhelm their limited defenses.

    While Gil-Gandel and the others discuss this, he will ride back towards the city to ensure that Aestirion and his men continue to press their attack on the enemy troops fleeing towards it. The fewer of our foes that reach the city, the better.

  2. #52
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    The two hobbits will start by scouting out the keep and finding out what commanders they have and then move on to dealing with the ballistae.

    Setting fire to things is purely to cause confusion in the town and draw defenders away. Not looking to harm any innocents just take the town with minimal casualties on both sides.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  3. #53
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    I am also against burning the town. It seems that the defenses of the port are sound enough for us to hold it for a time. is this correct?

    I say we hold the town per Gilraen's suggestion.

  4. #54
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Seeing as the hobbits are invisble in the town and not with the rest of the group, they can't hear the comments

    Besides, they have plenty to do before that point anyway.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  5. #55
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Assemble as much force as we can and pick the likeliest-looking gate to assault, with our heavies to lead and myself looking for key targets (oil cauldrons, officers, artillery pieces). Give a blast on the Gleaming Horn to jolly on the attackers and recite something inspiring about the glories of Gondor and setting the benighted natives free from oppression. Any archers we have can discourage the defenders as best they can - find them cover if possible though. We'll try to carry one gate by storm rather than spread ourselves too thin.
    Librarians rule, Oook

  6. #56
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    If Aestirion has matters well in hand attacking and cutting off the retreating enemy forces, Thoroncir will join Gil-Gandel and the others in trying to force a gate of the city. Elendil!

  7. #57
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    The Elendil is off the beach and using flag signals to the shore.

    W H A T | S I T U A T I O N | H O W | B E S T | S U P P O R T

    What means do you plan to use to force the gates? They a steel set back in a stone archway. They are only 12' wide and 12' high.

    It appears the gates are also protected by 4 large ballistae and men with bows and long pikes.

    Don’t forget the approaching large armies retreating to the eastern gate.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 07 Oct 2010 at 08:08 PM.

  8. #58
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    I'd suggest we signal the Elendil to open fire on the nearest gate with ballistae and trebuchets, if the warship is within range. This can be counterbattery fire against the gate's ballistae, as well as for knocking down the gate and/or surrounding wall. If not now within range, can the ship be moved closer in order to do so? Her supporting galleys, including the Gilraen, should join in the bombardment if they can. If we have our own field "artillery" with us we should use it, too.

    Is our landing force big enough, or now well-positioned enough, to keep the retreating enemy from actually reaching the castle? If so, our infantry should entrench, taking advantage of the terrain between the enemy and their city. Sir Thoroncir will see to the massing of cavalry for a possible charge.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06 Nov 2009 at 11:22 AM.

  9. #59
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    The Elendil will have problems attacking the gates due to the large rocky hill with the large tower. To get close enough to hit the gates will put it at risk from the tower. Maybe with some support action the north tower can be reduced first. (see map) Only the Elendil can really hope to reduce the gate keep, the rest of the fleet can support though.

    The landing has no artillery to speak of except for the ballistae donated by the repelling force.

    The landing force should be large enough to set prevent entry through the 3 gates of the port though it would spread them thin. However if you can hold for even 30 minutes the pursuers will be on top of them. Orodreth suggest that the Knights with Theogrim lead a surprise charge as they approach to cause confusion on one side. (Though that could be risky is surprise is not had.)

  10. #60
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Is the terrain uneven enough that the Sea-knights and our Rohirric allies could mass to one side, out of sight of the enemy, and then make a surprise attack on their flank? That might buy time for the infantry to entrench and for the Elendil to begin to reduce the gate keep. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

    Do Aestirion and Orodreth like this plan? Thoroncir wants their candid opinions, as always.

  11. #61
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Deor has a brand-new Wall of Fire spell he'd love to try out if we're going to try holding a gate. With that going, we might not need to spread so thin to hold the three gates.
    Last edited by Appleciders; 06 Nov 2009 at 09:22 PM.

  12. #62
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Is Ghan still here and does he have Stone Shape loaded? If he can reshape one side of the gateway he might be able to remove the hinge-points for one of the gates.

    Wall of Fire is a lovely spell if we can arrange for Deor to sit quietly and keep it going. If we opt to delay the retreating force it might have a big impact on them!
    Librarians rule, Oook

  13. #63
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Ghân is near and says, "I have stone shape available but no safe way to work on the gate. I might be able to do some plant growths near the base of the wall and give some men a chance to scale the wall quickly. In about two hours I should be able to cast call lightning as the weather becomes favorable for it."

    There are some areas where up to a 100 cavalry could hide from the returning armies. Perhaps massing your best there would be a good idea indeed. The only fear would be some signal from the town to the army. But if the town is distracted that should not be an issue.

    Gliraen, "Ghân has excellent fire resistance, perhaps the wall of fire could be the cover he needs to work on the gate if Deor could but the wall effectively on the gate."

  14. #64
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    I'm sure Deor grabbed the fire-spell-enhancing toy dragon and tinderbox- did he grab the brazier as he left the ship?
    Last edited by Appleciders; 08 Nov 2009 at 01:52 PM.

  15. #65
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    I think it is reasonable that Deor would grab his extra tools.

  16. #66
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    If there's cover for a body of cavalry then let's set up an ambush - also if it's possible to throw some archers in there then we'll do so, and I'll lead them. The more doubt we can cause over our numbers, the better.

    For a distraction, how about calling in some shore bombardment? That should turn a lot of attention seaward.
    Librarians rule, Oook

  17. #67
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Sounds good to me.

    Thoroncir has the Elendil signaled, ALL WELL / PLS OPEN FIRE ON CITY NOW / I WILL AMBUSH RETREATING ENEMY.

    Then he will go with Aestirion and his fellow Sea-knights to mass our mounted forces in the swale or valley, after giving orders for the foot soldiers to entrench on advantageous ground between the approaching foe and the castle.

  18. #68
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Ghân, "I want to understand the plan please. Who will be with Deor and me near the northern or shore gate? Should I first plant growth up the walls to distract the defenders? The fleet will begin to bombard the Northern tower and the smaller ships will move in closer to support? About 100 of our best cavalry will prepare to ambush the retreat as the bulk of the infantry digs in to hold the eastern gate from them and defend their own rear from a sally. Where will the archers be, specifically Gil-Gandel? Will Thoroncir & Theogrim be in the ambush or supporting the taking of the port?"

    Aestirion reports, “The Elendil, the 10 transports and the 5 captured galleys have landed a full 200 Sea Knights & Knights of Rohan. 480 infantry of Gondor and 160 freed galley slaves will also be landing and the party. There are nearly 850 men in this army, well men and two young women. Of these numbers, 180 Knights are still combat ready and 580 of the infantry. We have captured 5 ballistae in all. In addition Theogrim has his small force of 11 horse and 10 special foot including Dugar, Sandy Proudfoot and a Ranger of Ithilien that is an excellent marksman and uses a strongbow. His name is Wilfrid.”

    Odoreth, “Do we know if the Gondorian army is General Haldon and his 200 Horse and 1800 foot soldiers? His personal flag is a large gold pendant with a pair of Eagles over a knight with Sword and Shield. ”

    Deor can confirm via Folca that it is General Haldon leading the northern army of roughly 1000 men. The southern army has 800 men and the cavalry flies only a generic standard of Gondor and the house flag of Marshall Ailred of Rohan.

    In general, what I specifically need to know is where will the party be working, we know the spellcasters will be at the gate.

  19. #69
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    I think Sir Thoroncir, having been given command responsibility for the Sea-knights, ought to go with the majority of them to prepare an ambush. He will take Orodreth and 80-some Sea-knights, and Theogrim and his 11 horsemen, to do so. He leaves Aestirion in command with the balance of the Sea-knights and all of the foot troops, to entrench with the ballistae in the path of the retreating enemy. He also orders Aestirion to assist Gil-Gandel, as needed, in attacking the castle with such forces as he can spare.

  20. #70
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I don't know what our spell casters have in way of spells. We have a few choices, over, under around or throught the gate.

    If we are going to attack the gate my suggestion is to concentrate our attacks to the outside of the doors. That is normally the weak spot on stone walls so i will guess that is the same way here with wood. If we can get some of that wood to buckle its short work to bring a section down and storm inside.

  21. #71
    my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6,993

    Default

    Theogrim and his 11 horsemen will accompany Thoroncir in the ambush. The footmen he will instruct to stay with Deor and Ghân and any other spellcasters, to help guard them.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

    find me at Goodreads

  22. #72
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Sandy looks at the rest of the group:


    I'm getting hungry, can we get this started sooner rather than later?

    So Thoroncir and Theogrim are going to form an ambush.

    Deor and Ghan are going to at the gate, I think I will join them, hopefully my bow will pick off some of the archers on the wall. Maybe scale the wall as well.

    I was looking forward to seeing Gil-Gandel in action, maybe another time.

    Sir Bitur, Sir Gwaelur, Sir Dugar will you be venturing with the ambush or to the gate?

    And any word from those inside the port?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  23. #73
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    I'll join the gate-assaulters, then - if it looks at all profitable to do so, I can climb very well, and we may have more need of precision archery there than in the ambush. Sir Thoroncir seems to have matters well in hand. Of course, some plants to scramble up would do me no harm at all
    Librarians rule, Oook

  24. #74
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Posts
    246

    Default

    I will aid in the assault upon the gate.

  25. #75
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    About a mile from the port and 300’ from the main road is a low wooden hill. Within here is the place of concealment. Wilfrid the Ranger rode out to scout it. He reported it safe for use and recommends we wait to ride out until the first missiles fly from the Elendil.

    All prepare for the next operation. Ghân and Deor prepare for magic and the riders mount up into two groups. Malacandra and Sandy prepare to climb the wall and the Dwarves and some of the top infantry are ready to protect Ghân and be the first through. The 5 captured ballistae could be brought up into position to support.

    Mulligan has made it over to the central keep when she hears the boom of the Elendil’s trebuchet missiles striking the outer tower. The port begins to scramble. She races back to the gate. Rorimac decides now is the time and lights the roof closest to the inn on fire and heads for the wall to hopefully wreck some ballistae.

    Ghân casts his plant growth using Taurgol and his magic Mallorn leaf, and the vines climb the wall and dig in strong to every crack and crevice and some nearby trees grow up and over the wall. The stretch is huge going 60’ wide and all along the wall from gate to gate. Some areas are far heavier than others with foliage but the port’s defenders do not know what to make of this occurrence.

    Light infantry uses the confusion to start to climb the wall and Gil-Gandel goes up nimbly and fast to support them. Sandy takes a bit longer.

    Deor casts up his wall of fire and Ghân races over to start his stone shaping. He swiftly carves out along the lower portion and the Dwarves lift him up very slowly and steadily so he can reach up to 9’ high. The infantrymen secure sturdy ropes that go through to a team of horses. They will have to be quick though if the Ring of Fire is used as it will eventually burn through the ropes.

    Deor needs to decide if the Wall is a ring that will move with him and if he is using the Brazier to double the duration or increase the area of effect by 50%. He is casting at 10th level.


    Thoroncir, Theogrim, Hraesig and Wilfrid lead the 96 other horsemen to the ambush point.

    300 of the heavy infantry are digging in between the wall and the returning armies. They would like the 5 ballistae if you do not need them at the gate. This leave 180 infantry and the 160 freed slaves to go over the wall or through the gate. Correct the amounts if needed. It also leaves 80 horse free as a reserve.

  26. #76
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Mulligan and Rorimac will endeavour to cause as much trouble inside the port as possible.

    Sandy will be climbing up to the top to try and provide missile support.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  27. #77
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Gil-Gandel gains the top of the wall from a large tree. He sees an underwhelming town. It is crowded and all too much built of wood. Nearer to him he sees large groups racing to cut vines and repel the invaders. He sees at his medium range a man in chain mail barking orders out.

    Meanwhile scrambling off his roof top, Rorimac sees a figure in a strange headpiece and red robes walking fast towards the gates. He carries a wand in one hand and small bronze shield in the other.

    Theogrim and Thoroncir are just waiting of course.

    Ghân has nearly finished his stone shape and the Dwarves and Deor should make their final plans? Will Deor move forward with the wall of fire in a circle or drop it to allow more men to try and rush through the wide passage into the city? Remember those inside the circle now can run out of it without taking damage. The flames are only to the outside. Within the Walls are the 3 Dwarves, 2 casters and 25 of the best heavy infantry.

  28. #78
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    That man in chain mail needs to improve his impersonation of a porcupine. I'll start strumming Lindorn to provide the appropriate inspiring music. As we now have another route in we needn't worry about the vines too much - we'll just do what we can to harass the defenders.
    Librarians rule, Oook

  29. #79
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Deor keeps pressing forward, his Wall of Fire in a ring around him, moving forward into the town.

  30. #80
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Sir Thoroncir makes sure the cavalry is arrayed in good order and out of the line of sight of the approaching enemy. He asks Theogrim to command the left wing and to keep his Rohirric men together. Orodreth will command the left wing, and Thoroncir the center. The charge is to commence either when the bulk of the enemy forces have passed us (the better to fall on their rear, surprise and destroy them) or when we're spotted by the enemy, whichever comes first.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 13 Nov 2009 at 07:25 PM.

  31. #81
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Correction: Theogrim will command the right wing; Orodreth will command the left wing.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Nov 2009 at 07:28 PM.

  32. #82
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Sandy will be heading up as fast as possible to join Gil-Gandel on the battlements.

    Rorimac will head for the ballistae to prevent them being fired on the army outside.

    Mulligan will race back to see if there is anything she can do near the gate. If she sees the magic user, a smoke bomb centred on him when he stops moving will be used.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  33. #83
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    The three hobbits sit down and have a picnic while waiting for the action to continue. We may be a while.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  34. #84
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    The arrows from Lindorn strike the leader type who survives but runs for cover. Anyone aiming a bow or directing the defenses finds the arrows of Gil-Gandel coming at them swiftly. He is joined shortly by a dozen more archers and Sandy.

    Deor presses forward and without much direction the Dwarves, Ghân and heavy infantry move with him through tunnel. The Dwarves provide a shield wall to protect Deor. Ghân stays low. The heavy infantry drive spears through murder holes and move swiftly telling Deor to move fast. More infantry follow the Ring of Fire. Once in town, what is next? They spy the inn and an a large number of men converging on the area. Arrows begin to rain down on those in the Ring.

    Rorimac gets to a ballista still invisible and jams a large bolt into the mechanism. He then sees a chance to upend one defender over the wall about to spear one of the light infantry climbing the vines. He succeeds and is now visible and has several foes immediately around him.

    Mulligan arrives in time see a Red Robes figure with a wand making magical type gestures. The smoke bomb engulfs said caster type and Mulligan thinks she has a great chance for a backstab if desired.

    Thoroncir and Theogrim wait.

  35. #85
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Sandy is quite happy to follow Gil-Gandel's lead in shooting at anyone of note.

    Rorimac cries out "For the Shire" and hopes he is both noticed by some friendly troops already over the wall and that he gets some backup shortly from the troops still climbingl. He will stand his ground and try to amke sure he cannot be attacked by too many people at once.

    Mulligan ponders that "they surely couldn't have two people with that electrical shield spell, could they" and goes silently for the backstab with paralysis dagger.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  36. #86
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Rorimac buys time for the climbers and makes short work of a too old soldier and then deftly dances out of the way of another with a long sword. His find chain mail stops another thrust and he hits twice with his short swords injuring this foe.

    Mulligan sees the Red Robed figure emerge from the smoke and takes her strike and hits true for 15 points but the spellcaster is not paralyzed. He turns and his bronze shield is glow red and he sweeps it about it.

  37. #87
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Thoroncir confers with Theogrim and Orodreth, and then rides among his men, encouraging them and making sure all is ready. He wonders how things are going back in the city.

  38. #88
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, UK ?
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    If we can find a vantage point to cover the advancing troops in the Ring of Fire, let's look for the archers who are bothering them, and respond in kind. If there are signs of resistance developing in the city, use horn-calls to direct the ground troops towards them - Glinras will be easily heard from up here.
    Librarians rule, Oook

  39. #89
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Bitur will suggest that Deor and the fire group close into melee with the enemy fairly quickly. The enemy archers will have a harder time attacking us if they have to shoot at their allies as well.

  40. #90
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Hoopy Frood View post
    Bitur will suggest that Deor and the fire group close into melee with the enemy fairly quickly. The enemy archers will have a harder time attacking us if they have to shoot at their allies as well.
    Let's do it- I'm ill-equipped to be taking arrows right now.

  41. #91
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Rorimac will leads the soldiers who have climbed up behind him to try and form a second breach of the walls.

    Mulligan will dive for the safest place where the Magic User can't see her, right behind him. He can probably see invisible, so hopefully this will let her get another shot in. Also hoping he thinks he has been struck in the back by a human and not a hobbit, so he will not be looking at the right height.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  42. #92
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Mulligan outmaneuvers the magic user gets even lower and behind. He pivots fast but Mulligan is faster yet. He aims his wand and says what Mulligan hears as “Agni Fastu!” and a fan of flames shoot out from the tip of the wand. Mulligan stabs again and hits again doing 12 more points and this time the magic user crumples to the ground bleeding and unable to move.

    Deor moves as fast as he can while concentrating on the Ring of Fire. The hot flames of his magic disperse the growing number of defenders coming fast to the open area before the inn. The Dwarves and most of the heavy infantry charge out to take advantage of the confusion and turned backs of the town’s defenders. Five of the heavy infantry with crossbows remain with Deor. Does Deor wish to head a specific direction of just wherever men are forming for defense? Arrows have just missed him so far and several struck home on the men around him.

    The three Dwarves’ armor seems immune to the poor skill and weapons of those nearby. They do not seem well trained and the axes and shields strike nearly every time and kill with every hit. The three wreak great havoc among the defenders and cause a small rout that the men of Gondor are swift to capitalize on. Three of the men force the main doors of the inn and a squad of 10 head inside.

    The flames from the nearby rooftop are now generating much smoke and causing additional confusion in the town.

    Gil-Gandel and Sandy work together to strike any they see giving direction to the defense. Gil-Gandel’s bow is singing in earnest now. He sees far off that a well built ship is launching. He also sees a knot of mounted warriors, 28 in number are coming down out of the hilltop central keep leading 50 well armed and armoured men. They appear equipped with chain mail and sturdy spears and cutlasses. The mounted warriors are a mixed bag, 8 appear to be on large chargers with chain barding and the rest on smaller mounts with leather barding. All of the men have long spears and chain mail on except one in glistening plate on the largest charger. His lance is black.

    Rorimac holds off the attacks of the more professional guards on the walls and now has the support of a growing number of light infantry and freed slaves. He may wish to switch to bow?

    Ghân casts another plant growth to grow the vines and trees even more. These vines have done their job, the men of the north have too many places to climb and there are too few defenders, the wall is lost.

    At the ambush area Wilfrid from a treetop calls down, “I see them at last, be ready, they will arrive in 8 minutes”.

  43. #93
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Smokin'

    Mulligan will pick up the wand and shield. For keepsakes. Maybe his purse as well. It may come in useful for Deor. Honest.

    Is the Magic User dead or just paralysed?


    Rorimac, will get the slaves and troops moving to capture the other ballistae. He will be switching to a bow for extra effect.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  44. #94
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    The Magic User is alive. Mulligan retrieves the wand but as Mulligan reaches for the shield, she feels heat pouring off of it and sees her hand visible. A look of fright and puzzlement appears in the eyes of the magic user. What does Mulligan do?

  45. #95
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    Sir Thoroncir thanks Wilfrid for the update, wishes Theogrim and Orodreth good hunting, and sends them to their respective positions, ready for action. He passes the word for all of the horsemen to wait until he signals the charge.

    I assume there is a bugler or trumpeter among the Sea-knights. If so, Thoroncir will keep him close at hand. Otherwise, Thoroncir will shout the command to attack when the time is right.

  46. #96
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Yeah, I was expecting the shield to do that somehow. Turning visible in the middle of this fight is not really what I want, especially with the heat from that shield.

    If the heat is coming off the front and it can be lifted from the back then fine, otherwise leave it for Deor.

    At least he is paralysed for the moment, so Mulligan will drag him off to one side and tie him up and gag him out of sight for later conversation with the the leaders.

    Whispering to him, "Hi there, don't mind me."

    Don't forget the purse.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  47. #97
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Mulligan finds the shield cannot be approached at all, however Mulligan can drag, gag and truss the magic user and relieve him of his belt pouch and a smaller pouch in his robe. This smaller pouch feels like it just might contain some gems.

    The mage actually looks vaguely relieved he is being tied. Probably feared a quick stroke to finish him off.

    Keep in mind, your knife is now low on drug.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thoroncir knows that Orodreth carries a horn and calls for who else carries them. Another Sea Knight by the name of Henemir carries a horn of different tone and a one of the Rohirrim Knights carries a great horn of some potency. His name is Cenwig and his horn is called Githa. He will happily stand ready to protect you and send your signals.

  48. #98
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    21,208

    Default

    If Cenwig doesn't mind being away from Theogrim and his other Rohirric countrymen on the right wing, he is most welcome to remain with Thoroncir in the center of the line. Henemir should then go with Theogrim, and Orodreth can pick up the call when he hears it on the left wing.

    As the Sea-knight captain waits in the calm before the storm of battle, he has a few moments to think of Gilraen's bright eyes and sweet kiss. He hopes she is safe and well, and prays that he might live to see her again.

  49. #99
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    This Fire Wall is making me a little too conspicuous, and anyway it's done its job by protecting the Dwarves as they entered the town. Drop it, and hide away from the arrows if possible, or else use an Invisibility to get out of sight. Stick by Glee and his canine companions if possible.

    If Folca sees the warriors approaching Gil-Gandel, Deor may try to, from a hidden vantage point, cast a Web to dismount those warriors from their chargers forcibly.
    Last edited by Appleciders; 19 Nov 2009 at 11:12 PM.

  50. #100
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,342

    Default

    Sandy continues to lead the men across the top of the wall to capture ballistae. If they can be activated and ready for our use, so much the better.

    Mulligan will head for Deor to hand over the wand and pouches to see if the will come in useful, remembering what words the Caster used to activate it.

    I wonder if Mulligan could use it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Closed thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts