+ Reply to thread

Thread: Shame on the balloon boy hoax parents

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Shame on the balloon boy hoax parents

I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this already, but it's crying out for one, so here goes...

Those poor, poor kids. Little kids nearly always think their parents are heroes who can do no wrong. It has nothing to do with what the parents are really like, it's just a developmental thing. To be forced to realize that your parents are lying scum, and have been exposed as such before the entire world, would wreak havoc with your thought processes. Especially for the 6 year old who had to participate in the charade, and must feel guilty about his slip-up on TV.

Also, I hate Larry King.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Wait, what? I apparently missed all of this. The last I heard was that he'd been found and I thought that was it, happy ending for all.

Now it turns out the parents were hoaxing us?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I was just reading about this in the Denver Post...article here. If this is true, it's really shameful that anyone would do such a thing for publicity. These folks have already been on Wife Swap, so you know that they are most likely famewhores, but this is really pathetic.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 18 Oct 2009 at 07:02 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, geez. That's just awful. What kind of basic decency are these people lacking to fake the loss and potential death of their child for publicity?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Bad enough that they named the poor kid Falcon.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Actually, I feel a lot more postively less negatively towards the parents now that it seems that it was all a hoax. It seems to me that anyone with half a brain should have been able to recognize that a giant balloon would be a kid magnet and take precautions to make certain that their young children do not have the ability to climb aboard unsupervised, or for the balloon to be able to take off by accident. I know that accidents based on ignoring similar levels of precautions happen far more often than I would like to see. But that doesn't seem to me to be a reason to absolve the responsible parties involved.

So, yeah, my opinion about those parents has gone up since the evidence of hoaxing has started to come out.

They're merely asshole twits, now.

Registered
    Mar 2009

At this point I wouldn't be surprised to find out they named the kid Falcon in preparation for the reality TV show they were going to do, to tie in with their weather balloon.

Edit: Valid point, Loki. In a way, finding out that it's a hoax does relieve me. At least I know the little boy was never in any real danger.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Man did I call this one from the beginning. Our News Networks stink and are insanely gullible.

The Parents are jerks but they may have done a small service in exposing how stupid the news networks are.

Registered
    Feb 2009

When I first saw the balloon on CNN I didn't suspect it was a hoax, but thought there was a mistake; it seemed highly unlikely that anything the weight of a six-year-old boy was in the bottom of that small aerostat.

People typically overestimate the lifting capacity of a given amount of helium. I blame movies; time and again I've seen balloons or airships depicted with impossibly small envelopes.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    At this point I wouldn't be surprised to find out they named the kid Falcon in preparation for the reality TV show they were going to do, to tie in with their weather balloon.

You know, you could be right about that.

That would be truly scary parenting.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm another one who "knew" this was a no-story from the start. And if I'd been aware the parents had been on Wife Swap, I'd have guessed "hoax" immediately.

Go, me!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin View post
    When I first saw the balloon on CNN I didn't suspect it was a hoax, but thought there was a mistake; it seemed highly unlikely that anything the weight of a six-year-old boy was in the bottom of that small aerostat.

People typically overestimate the lifting capacity of a given amount of helium. I blame movies; time and again I've seen balloons or airships depicted with impossibly small envelopes.
    That was clue #1, I pretty much knew how small the payloads of weather balloons are.
    Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov View post
    I'm another one who "knew" this was a no-story from the start. And if I'd been aware the parents had been on Wife Swap, I'd have guessed "hoax" immediately.

Go, me!
    That was clue #2 and convinced me immediately the parents are scummy publicity hounds and the news agencies dumber than dirt. They asked to be setup.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well you know what has to be done, right? Stuff that little kid into the balloon and send him off for real.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I most certainly didn't think it was a hoax right off the bat. My first paranoid thought was that the little boy had never been in the balloon in the first place, though. I thought this was going to turn into another Casey Anthony situation and the parents had actually killed the boy and were trying to cover it up with an "oh, he must have fallen and been lost somewhere" story.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Well, I most certainly didn't think it was a hoax right off the bat. My first paranoid thought was that the little boy had never been in the balloon in the first place, though. I thought this was going to turn into another Casey Anthony situation and the parents had actually killed the boy and were trying to cover it up with an "oh, he must have fallen and been lost somewhere" story.
    Well for what it is worth, I heard it first by seeing it on CNN Headline news and saw the balloon and did an immediate and then my wife mentioned the parents were on a Reality show with Wife swapping and thus my ability to believe anything about the story was immediately gone. If I had gotten it in dribs and drags or via radio I may not have been so sure it was a publicity stunt/hoax.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I am so naive...I totally believed that the kid got scared and ran and hid!

I feel really, really bad for the kid...he probably does feel horrible that he gave away their secret, and he never, EVER should have been put in that position. What were they thinking?

Registered
    Mar 2009

And the nuttery of this kid's parents continues...

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/vie...lloon_boy_saga

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy View post

Um...wow.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I watched the video, and I can hardly understand a word of it. The parents are claiming they said "Falcon," not "faggot." Even if they didn't say it, the whole point of the song was about the "pussification" of the world, which gets a big from me. And one of the words I could hear clearly was "fuck." Charming for 3 little boys, isn't it? And the dad gives the very lame (IMO) that they are allowed to curse because he doesn't want to be a hypocrite. These people are nutty.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    These people are nutty.
    I am afraid that's a very generous description of them.

I've been using 'fuckwit,' myself.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The video was taken down by the time I went to watch it, but by the description...geez. This whole thing is completely insane.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I missed the video too, but if it is even half as bad as the description, it's appalling.

I liked the point that there are places where gay people wouldn't be allowed to adopt, and yet the Heenes would. Yep, that's fucked up all right.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    That was clue #2 and convinced me immediately the parents are scummy publicity hounds and the news agencies dumber than dirt. They asked to be setup.
    When it comes to CNN, I don't know if they were really that dumb, or if they didn't mind going along with a hoax as long as it got eyes glued to the tube. Either way, bad journalism.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    I watched the video, and I can hardly understand a word of it. The parents are claiming they said "Falcon," not "faggot." Even if they didn't say it, the whole point of the song was about the "pussification" of the world, which gets a big from me. And one of the words I could hear clearly was "fuck." Charming for 3 little boys, isn't it? And the dad gives the very lame (IMO) that they are allowed to curse because he doesn't want to be a hypocrite. These people are nutty.
    Wait...so it's BETTER (according to Papa Smurf) that the song is about taking a baseball bat to Falcon? These people are fucked up.

(but wouldn't it be funny if they were taken away in a balloon and forced to go over the rainbow?) I know it's a lame-ass joke, but really, bad humor is all that is left to get out of this story.

+ Reply to thread