+ Reply to thread

Thread: No Longer Newcastle Brown Ale

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default No Longer Newcastle Brown Ale

Global Beer manufacturers Heineken have decide to close down the Scotish and Newcastle brewery on the Tyne and start making it in Tadcaster.

Sorry, not interested, I want it brewed on the Tyne, not in some back country brewery in the middle of Nowhere.

I don't care if the recesssion might be hurting your sales, it's supposed to be protected under EU law so it can't be made elsewhere. It's like saying Parma Ham can come from France.

Stop messing about with my favourite drink and make it where it should be made.

Bastards. :Shake:
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tadcaster...isn't that where Samuel Smith brewery is?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm surprised to discover just how much I'm dismayed by this news. Fucking Heineken!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm also a little surprised at how upsetting this is. Newcastle is one of my favorite "every day" beers.

FUCK YOU HEINEKEN!

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Heineken, the most over-rated beer ever is trying to destroy a good Ale. Screw you Heineken.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

All the decent local beers around the world now seem to be owned by conglomerates. It chagrins me when people think Jameson/Guinness et al are representatitive of Irish culture. They're corporate products. I suppose there are people who think that Coca-Cola/McDonalds et al is American culture but it is kind of pathetic.
    Jim, if you visit Ireland next year, I must bring you to one of the Porter Houses.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm not trying to be glib or snarky but why does it matter where it comes from? If the end product tastes the same why does it matter?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Xan View post
    I'm not trying to be glib or snarky but why does it matter where it comes from? If the end product tastes the same why does it matter?
    Well, in so far as anything matters, people don't just drink a drink or eat a foot because of taste. There's tradition, culture, "authenticity" etc. that lots of consumers crave. We're all postmodern these days but some people do care about locality, particularity. Many don't it is true and maybe it matters not a jot in the scheme of things.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by An Gadaí View post
    Well, in so far as anything matters, people don't just drink a drink or eat a foot because of taste. There's tradition, culture, "authenticity" etc. that lots of consumers crave. We're all postmodern these days but some people do care about locality, particularity. Many don't it is true and maybe it matters not a jot in the scheme of things.
    I think I see your point. I'm more of an "end results" kind of guy. Where it's made doesn't factor in to why I buy something. Quality and price matter more to me.
    Last edited by Xan; 14 Oct 2009 at 11:06 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Xan View post
    There is a longstanding tradition in the making of alcoholic beverages that the region where it's made is very important. The water, soil, and yeast strains in the air are all cited, though obviously they're not really going to have much of an impact on the final taste when everything is down to a science as most modern manufacturing is.

But, still. There's tradition. In any decent brewing, there is that tie to where it's made. It shouldn't be something that can be made just as well somewhere else. We don't want one brewery to be the same as any other.

Registered
    Feb 2009

All the decent local beers around the world now seem to be owned by conglomerates. It chagrins me when people think Jameson/Guinness et al are representatitive of Irish culture. They're corporate products. I suppose there are people who think that Coca-Cola/McDonalds et al is American culture but it is kind of pathetic.
    Jim, if you visit Ireland next year, I must bring you to one of the Porter Houses.
    Can I come?

Never liked Heineken; too sweet. I didn't know they owned Newcastle, though. Screw that.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It chagrins me when people think Jameson/Guinness et al are representatitive of Irish culture. They're corporate products.
    Hell, any Guinness I can get here isn't even Irish; it's brewed in Canada by MolsonCoors.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, in so far as anything matters, people don't just drink a drink or eat a foot because of taste.
    Ew.

Registered
    Mar 2009

D'oh. Baldwin you of course can join us on our boozey day in the Porter House.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I quit drinking Rainier and Henry Weinhardt's after the local breweries were bought up and closed by Miller. I also decline to drink any Miller product.

Partly it's because I knew most of the guys who worked at those breweries. I'm not real big on self-impressed suits who's only ideas center around layoffs. A lot of good people were burned to the ground from that. Given the variety available, why should I support rapacious dirtbags with my beer money?

And partly it's because the stuff that's now called Rainier and Weinhardt's is actually made in a giant brewery in Los Angeles, allowed to go flat, shipped to market in unpressurized bulk rail cars, and then re-carbonated at regional hubs. OK, now it's not beer anymore as far as I'm concerned.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Seriously, they re-carbonate flat beer? That can't be good.

The best beer I've had was homebrew. There are some local (Atlanta) restaurants that brew their own pretty good stuff.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, Jaglavak. That's disgusting.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post

But, still. There's tradition. In any decent brewing, there is that tie to where it's made. It shouldn't be something that can be made just as well somewhere else. We don't want one brewery to be the same as any other.
    Exactly. On top of that, I don't know that there will be a noticeable difference when it moves, but I am betting there will be one. It might not be a huge difference, but my money says that one will exist just because brewing really is so tied to the location.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I always thought Nukie was "inoffensive" at best, but now I won't drink it at all. It 's a good excuse for making my host serve something palatable.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138 View post
    It might not be a huge difference, but my money says that one will exist just because brewing really is so tied to the location.
    And the people. Change the location and you'll probably lose a lot of your production-floor people.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Stop messing about with my favourite drink and make it where it should be made.
    Damn Kitty, stealing MY favorite beer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I. View post
    Damn Kitty, stealing MY favorite beer.
    Get your own Bottle of Dog.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin View post
    Seriously, they re-carbonate flat beer? That can't be good.
    It's been a while since my big-time homebrew days, but I'm pretty sure that most all commercially available beers are force carbonated at the time of bottling.

+ Reply to thread