+ Reply to thread

Thread: Joe Strummer Appreciation Thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

Default Joe Strummer Appreciation Thread

In my mind Joe is the perfect rock star and has never properly been given the acknowledgment he deserves. The man had almost 30 years of Rock&Roll under his belt at the time of his death. From the 101'ers,to The Clash, and the Mescaleros he has time and time again provided us with rockin' good times and great music.

He was the people's rock star. Humble and appreciative of his fans. He spent his life devoted to making music that still sounds as fresh today as it did in the 70s or 80s.

His music has had a tremendous impact even today. U2,Rage Against the Machine,Green Day and many more owe him a debt of gratitude. His songs have been sampled many times over, the most recently being MIA's Paper Planes.

He has also contributed music and made original songs for several movie soundtracks such as Walker, Grosse Pointe Blank,Blackhawk Down, Mr. and Mrs. Smith,ect. He has also starred in several movies as well, such as Straight to Hell and Mystery Train.

101'ers
    Keys to Your Heart

5 Star Rock&Roll Petrol

Steamgauge 99

The Clash
    White Riot

Safe European Home

Brand New Cadillac

Straight to Hell

The Mescaleros

Johnny Appleseed

Bhindi Bhagee

Coma Girl

When he died of heart failure on Dec.22 2002, the world lost a true poet,performer and friend. He helped change the face of popular culture and put a brain behind the rhetoric of punk rock. He went on to prove that you can start with nothing and work your way to the top.

Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I agree with just about everything you posted and quite agree - I'm a big fan. However...

I was a bit disappointed watching the documentary on him to find out what a colossal asshole he was capable of being, even towards ostensible friends. People are complex and imperfect, so it doesn't impact my enjoyment of his music. But it was a slight downer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I assume you are talking about "The Future Is Unwritten". Yes that movie did take the polish off of the Strummer legend, but it did make him seem more human at the same time. I was also surprised and disappointed at all the asshole moves he made throughout his career.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Falling Reverend View post
    He was the people's rock star. Humble and appreciative of his fans. He spent his life devoted to making music that still sounds as fresh today as it did in the 70s or 80s.
    This guys the peoples champion

Registered
    Sep 2009

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

He was the leader and undisputed soul of the greatest band of all time. His post-Clash output ranged from good to brilliant, and Streetcore was an incredible valedictory. I can only think of two or three celebrities whose deaths brought me to tears, and Joe is foremost.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yup, I don't think I've ever heard anyone with a bad word to say about Joe Strummer(as a musician).

He was involved in so much timeless music, it is hard to know where to start in pointing out highlights.

Last edited by ivan astikov; 07 Oct 2009 at 02:37 PM.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tamerlane View post
    I agree with just about everything you posted and quite agree - I'm a big fan. However...

I was a bit disappointed watching the documentary on him to find out what a colossal asshole he was capable of being, even towards ostensible friends. People are complex and imperfect, so it doesn't impact my enjoyment of his music. But it was a slight downer.
    I agree with all of this. A friend phoned me while I was watching it and I commented to him that Strummer was coming across as a total prick. I recall then saying, "Gee, what a surprise, a punk rock performer who was a total prick! What are the odds?"

I still think London Calling is one of the great rock anthems.

+ Reply to thread