+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Playoffs 2009

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post
    I only caught a few minutes of the game last night while peeking at it from the ice where I was curling, but I did see the pick off play at second where a Yankee was called safe when he was clearly out. Bad call. But hey, if the Yanks have the umps in their back pocket, that just makes it even more inevitable that they'll win it all. Woo Hoo!

Go Yankees!

ETA: Worst call in MLB playoff history? Jorge Orta called safe at first in the 9th inning of Game Six, 1985. I still remember that call like it was yesterday.
    Well the pick off was bang-bang. Bad call but they happen. Later in the game a Yank was called out at second when the replay showed him safe.

The two calls McClueless blew big time were all on him.

First the Swisher being called out for leaving early. The idiot ump failed to position himself to observe the fly ball and Swish at the same time. Moving a few feet toward home would have allowed him to make the call and instead he made an appeal call on a play he did not see. He is a stupid moron for that one. This also cost the Yanks at least one run and maybe more.

The second one was even more blatant and has no excuse. Cano and Posada screwed up badly and McClueless somehow in some way missed the tag on Cano despite being there and having no way to miss the tag. I will never understand how he blew it. However, this one did not lead to any runs and only cost the Angels 2-4 pitches that they had at least saved earlier in the Swish call.

I do not recall the 85 play. I believe I was floating in the Pacific Ocean during that World Series. But I was talking about blowing multiple calls, not the single worst. I don't remember an ump looking that bad multiple times. He also punched out another player on a checked swing appeal.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I do not recall the 85 play. I believe I was floating in the Pacific Ocean during that World Series. But I was talking about blowing multiple calls, not the single worst. I don't remember an ump looking that bad multiple times. He also punched out another player on a checked swing appeal.
    Really? Don Denkinger's call is probably the most notorious bad call in baseball history. It resulted in death threats. It still pisses people off 24 years later (the fact that the Cardinals subsequently played like morons is generally overlooked). Maybe living in St. Louis has heightened my awareness of "the call".

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by fachverwirrt View post
    Really? Don Denkinger's call is probably the most notorious bad call in baseball history. It resulted in death threats. It still pisses people off 24 years later (the fact that the Cardinals subsequently played like morons is generally overlooked). Maybe living in St. Louis has heightened my awareness of "the call".
    I largely lost 4 seasons to the Navy, I only saw a few games from 1985 through 1988.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The second one was even more blatant and has no excuse. Cano and Posada screwed up badly and McClueless somehow in some way missed the tag on Cano despite being there and having no way to miss the tag. .... .

Tangential to this why the aitch eee double hockey sticks did Cano NOT just stick his foot on the bag when the fielder approached him to tag him with the ball?

It ended up not mattering (bizarrely) but I would think you would at least want to make it easier to argue that you were safe. Being tagged by the ball as you're standing a few feet from the base is pretty much the definition of "out".

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    Tangential to this why the aitch eee double hockey sticks did Cano NOT just stick his foot on the bag when the fielder approached him to tag him with the ball?

It ended up not mattering (bizarrely) but I would think you would at least want to make it easier to argue that you were safe. Being tagged by the ball as you're standing a few feet from the base is pretty much the definition of "out".
    Yep, Cano was pretty stupid and oh by the way, where was the third base coach as all of this was unfolding?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I largely lost 4 seasons to the Navy, I only saw a few games from 1985 through 1988.
    Oh, I'm not surprised you didn't see it. Neither did I, in fact; my baseball fandom pretty much started in '86 (good year for it, too). I'm just (mildly) surprised that you're not familiar with it, as it's a pretty iconic play in the history of the world series, and you're a pretty dedicated fan. No big deal, of course.

Here's the background: it was game 6, Cards up 3 games to 2 and leading 1-0 in the bottom of the ninth. Orta, the lead-off hitter hit a high chopper that Jack Clark fielded and tossed to Todd Worrell. The throw clearly beat Orta by a step, but Denkinger did exactly what you're not supposed to do; he watched the ball, saw it hit the glove, looked down, and Orta was past the base, so he called him safe. The umpire is supposed to watch the bag and listen for the ball.

After that, the Cardinals completely fell apart. Clark dropped ann easy foul pop that resulted in the batter getting a single, the catcher allowed a passed ball to put the winning run in scoring position (after Worrell had forced Orta out at third on a bunt attempt), and on the winning hit, the throw apparently beat the run home, but the catcher missed the tag.

Then in game 7, the Cardinals decided to spend the game yelling at Denkinger instead of playing baseball, and lost 11-0.

Anyway, you can see the call (and the dropped pop up) here:

Registered
    Feb 2009

Late 80s is a big gap in my baseball fandom. I probably know more about stuff from before I was born that that period.

So Phillies beat down the Dodgers in 5. I hope it is my Yanks that have to face them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Go Yankees!!!!
    (this is for WhatExit)
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

I would say go Angels, but I don't see them taking two in the Bronx. If they manage to win game 5 at this point I'll be impressed.

So, go Phillies!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I have decided to honour Mayor Quimby of Springfield by completely and enthusiastically flip-flopping. I am now the biggest Yankees fan EVER and will be cheering them on for the remainder of the playoffs, which they will no doubt cruise through. ...

Go Yankees!
    Well, it's about time.

You'll find it's much easier this way. Now you too can regard the other 29 teams as a sort of nebulous collection of Washington Generals who serve as speed bumps on the way to the natural, inevitable and PROPER conclusion of each season, the Yankees winning the World Series.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Holy crap but AJ Burnett is stinking up the joint. He better get his shit together ASAP.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Holy crap but AJ Burnett is stinking up the joint. He better get his shit together ASAP.
    Very ugly start.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Given the Yankees offense and how early it is this isn't out of hand, yet, if he can get on track.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Jim any idea why Teixeira's not hitting? Think he's trying too hard?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jim any idea why Teixeira's not hitting? Think he's trying too hard?
    Not a clue honestly. He looked like he was coming out last game though, so lets hope.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This inning is going to kill me, Teix!

Tie game as Mike Scioscia finally makes a mistake. Pulls his best for a bullpen guy.

Yanks are now up 6-4
    Last edited by What Exit?; 22 Oct 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The Yankees seem to be intent on ending this tonight. I thought for sure one of Matsui's knees was going to explode there.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Yankees seem to be intent on ending this tonight. I thought for sure one of Matsui's knees was going to explode there.
    That's funny, I am on the phone with my brother and I thought the same thing.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Marte why?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Marte why?
    Pair of lefties due up.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah but he sucks. What happened to Coke?

Terrific, we're losing. Again.
    Last edited by Laughing Lagomorph; 22 Oct 2009 at 09:49 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

7-6 Angels.

This game actually turned out to be pretty good.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by fachverwirrt View post
    7-6 Angels.

This game actually turned out to be pretty good.
    Pretty good? I'm in severe agony over here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

They're just doing this to piss me off, right?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh well. The celebration will look better when they're wearing pinstripes anyway.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, it's about time.

You'll find it's much easier this way. Now you too can regard the other 29 teams as a sort of nebulous collection of Washington Generals who serve as speed bumps on the way to the natural, inevitable and PROPER conclusion of each season, the Yankees winning the World Series.
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.

The Angels are making this into an interesting series, but I don't think they'll get past game six. The Yankees just have too many weapons.

Go Yankees!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

The Angels are making this into an interesting series, but I don't think they'll get past game six. The Yankees just have too many weapons.

Go Yankees!
    That was an extremely painful game for me. I hope Swisher does not get booed on Saturday, but I think he might.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well I just got offered a free ticket to the Yankees game tonight. So hopefully I get to see Pettitte close it out.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well I just got offered a free ticket to the Yankees game tonight. So hopefully I get to see Pettitte close it out.
    I hate you.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yankees are up 3-1 after five innings! w00t!
    Last edited by dread pirate jimbo; 25 Oct 2009 at 09:21 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Bring on the Phillies!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Another great game. We were up in the top tier on the 1b side.

Yanks played a good game and Joe G made the right moves and the Angels made plenty of mistakes as Mike Scioscia was the one to over manage this time. Pulling out Mathis was silly and using Kazmir was insane. A kid with control issues against the second most patient player in baseball was a bad match. The fact it came down to bunts and Scott pulling 2 Knoblauchs is besides the point.

Putting Rivera in for 6 outs was brilliant and boy was the stadium overjoyed to see it. Joba looked good too in the 7th. The scariest moment of the game was seeing Marte warming up in the 7th.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Guess I'm a Phillies fan for a week.

Go Phillies. Woo.

Registered
    Feb 2009

OK, so 1-1 now and AJ pitched a gem and handed it off to Rivera. Hitting is still at a premium for the Yanks and the Umpires managed to blow two late inning double play calls.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Go Yankees!
    Hell is other people.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

My favorite part of last nights broadcast was Tim McCaver's unabashed astonishment at Jeter bunting with two strikes.

I have to admit I was a little surprised too.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My favorite part of last nights broadcast was Tim McCaver's unabashed astonishment at Jeter bunting with two strikes.

I have to admit I was a little surprised too.
    Shocked me too.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

AJ Burnett pitched his brains out last night. It was awesome to watch. I guess he channeled Cliff Lee or something, whatever he did though it worked.

Pedro was good too, just not quite as good.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Burnett's a maddening pitcher. You never know whether he's going to be brilliant or dreadful.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Burnett's a maddening pitcher. You never know whether he's going to be brilliant or dreadful.
    This is so true, a few times a year he looks like the best pitcher in baseball and more than a few times you wonder if he will get out of the second inning.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Finally first pitch. A strike to Jeter.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Matsui will only get one at-bat in this game but he sure made it count: pinch hit home run.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Matsui will only get one at-bat in this game but he sure made it count: pinch hit home run.
    I love the Philly Phans chanting "Yankees Suck" as they are losing 8-4 and running out of outs fast.

Ah Philly Phans, always classy.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I love the Philly Phans chanting "Yankees Suck" as they are losing 8-4 and running out of outs fast.

Ah Philly Phans, always classy.
    Well, at least the Philly Phans got spunk, you got to give them that. Yankee Stadium was a graveyard at points in game 2.

I like that Girardi brought in Rivera w/ 1 out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, at least the Philly Phans got spunk, you got to give them that. Yankee Stadium was a graveyard at points in game 2.

I like that Girardi brought in Rivera w/ 1 out.
    Yanks are up 2-1 now.

Funny the two games I was at the crowds were real good. In fact for the closeout vs. the Angels, it was almost a frantic feeling.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't remember ever seeing a sequence of events like those that occured last night starting with Johnny Damon's last at-bat, at least not in such an important game. Talk about seizing an opportunity.

Great combination of a player's ability, experience and instincts changing a game.

Registered
    Apr 2009

That was a real "WTF?" moment. I thought Damon believed that the ball got past the second baseman. For a split second I saw him getting tagged out in a rundown.

It was funny how close he was to the Phillies player when he took off.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That was really smart, aggressive base running on Damon's part last night.

Well, the Phillies got another game anyway. Just.
    Last edited by vison; 02 Nov 2009 at 11:55 PM.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Jim, tell me I don't need to worry and the Yankees will win game 6.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not Jim, but I can reassure you.

Working three pitchers to death in the cold at the end of the season, what can go wrong?

+ Reply to thread