+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Playoffs 2009

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Baseball Playoffs 2009

My picks and some details:

Yankees over probably the Twins. Yanks outclass them in every aspect and can set the rotation as they wish and will be able to use Rivera, Hughes and Joba Chamberlain in every game in relief. This should be a huge advantage.

Red Sox vs. Angels: I think the Red Sox will take it in hard fought series. The Red Sox have better pitching and good enough managing and plenty of offense. They don’t seem to have the problems in Anaheim that Yanks do. I do give the Angels the edge in making runs and manager but overall the Sox seem better.

Cards over Dodgers: Torre is on his way to another 1st round elimination as the Cards look better right now. Better hitting and pitching and the Dodgers bullpen is tired.

Rockies over Phillies: This one is just a gut pick. I feel like the Phillies are floundering a bit and the Rockies are ready for some magic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    The Yanks should beat the Red Sox. The starters match up about the same and the Yanks appear to have the slightly better bullpen currently. The Yanks have better defense and offense. This should decide it.

Cards over the Rockies: Cards are the best team in the NL right now and I don’t think the Rockies run will be enough to overcome the much better team.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Yanks over the Cardinals: Cards have a better 1-2 punch in the starters and Pujols will be the best player on the field, but 1-9 the Yanks are a better team with a much better bullpen. The Yanks should have enough starters. The Yanks will probably take 2 of the games late once the Cardinal starters are out. The Yanks are the comeback team with 15 walk-off victories and 51 come from behind victories this year.

It looks like Friday's game for the Yanks will be a 6:07pm start. Woot

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Cards have looked flat-out bad for the last week or so. In particular, the bullpen seems tired and Franklin is a large question mark as closer. (I was at the game on Friday. It was 6-1 Cardinals going into the 7th. It was 12-6 Brewers going into the bottom of the 8th. The collapse featured five wild pitches by four different pitchers.) I'm not terribly confident in them right now.

The Sox ended the season on an upswing, which is good. Historically they play well against the Angels in the post season, so I expect another Sox-Yanks ALCS, which will probably go 6 or 7. Edge to damn Yankees.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Just got off the phone with Verizon. They're coming to install the cable Wednesday morning so I should be TVed up for most of the playoffs. If the Yankees don't go all the way it'll be terribly anticlimatic.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Tigers/Twins game 163 is tied at 4 in the 8th. Can you imagine if this goes into extra innings then the winner has to go to the Bronx to face the Yankees? Yikes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    Tigers/Twins game 163 is tied at 4 in the 8th. Can you imagine if this goes into extra innings then the winner has to go to the Bronx to face the Yankees? Yikes.
    I want 18 innings & I enjoyed the 10th. I cheered loudly for the tying run and louder for the double play at the plate. OK Rodney is being made to pitch his arm off. Interesting plan.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    Hey, at least the Tigers gave us something to hope for here in Motown, at least for a week or so. That's more than we usually get until the end of hockey season.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well the Twins had a hell of a September and early October to get into the playoffs. They a riding a hugh emotional high from last nights game and getting in at 3:00 am might help them. They might not have time to get nervous.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My Yankees and Playoff blog is up on the front page. Please read it for game times, my picks and details.

I got the Yankees Roster and it is almost perfect (to my thinking)

Good Roster. My only change would have been Pena over Hinske but that should not prove important. The pitchers and taking Cervelli is exactly as I wanted and thought best. Note that they did Bruney off as I thought they probably should.

14 position players
    1. Derek Jeter
    2. Johnny Damon
    3. Mark Teixeira
    4. Alex Rodriguez
    5. Hideki Matsui
    6. Jorge Posada
    7. Robinson Cano
    8. Nick Swisher
    9. Melky Cabrera
    10. Brett Gardner
    11. Jose Molina
    12. Jerry Hairston Jr.
    13. Eric Hinske
    14. Francisco Cervelli
    11 pitchers
    1. CC Sabathia
    2. A.J. Burnett
    3. Andy Petttitte
    4. Alfredo Aceves
    5. David Robertson
    6. Phil Hughes
    7. Mariano Rivera
    8. Phil Coke
    9. Joba Chamberlain
    10. Chad Gaudin
    11. Damaso Marte

Registered
    Feb 2009

Here are my slightly more detailed picks. A lot of this is just going with my gut, and are not very in-depth, because I'm a musician, not a sports analyst.

Red Sox vs. Angels: Sox in five.
    I kind of hate it when people bring "history" into these things, as if what happened 20 years ago matters anymore. For instance, that the Red Sox won the 1986 ALCS over the Angels is perfectly irrelevant to 2009. However, recent history has shown that the Red Sox play better in the post season than the Angels. The Sox have more experience in the post season, and are ending the season on an upswing.

Yankees vs. Twins: Yanks in five.
    If Detroit has taken the central, I'd have NY in three. But I think that Minnesota is too hot to just roll over and die at this point. They are reminiscent of the '07 Rockies, who swept their way through the LDS and LCS before hitting a wall in the Series. Yanks are too good, though.

ALCS: Yankees in six.
    The Yankees are just the better team.

Cardinals vs. Dodgers: Cards in five.
    This one's hard to pick. These are two pretty good teams that have been playing terribly lately. Cardinals, however, have Carpenter and Wainwright going the first two games. They've only lost back-to-back games once this year. That plus Pujols gives St. Louis the slight edge.

Phillies vs. Rockies: Phillies in something.
    I have no idea about either of these teams, so I'm picking the defending champs over the wild card.

NLCS: Cards in six.
    Again, the pitching and Pujols make the difference.

World Series: Yankees in six.
    The Yankees beat both of my teams, pissing me off even more than usual.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So CC Sabathia pitched his best post season game.

Jeter was great. First Home Run in the Post Season in the new Yankee Stadium.

Punto made some great plays.

Bullpen looked great.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I haven't been following the NL closely enough to make picks for them, but I don't think it's going to matter, as I see the AL team winning unless somehow it's Minnesota.

Sox vs. Angels: Boston in 4

Yankees vs. Twins: NY in 3

ALCS: Boston in 7. I can't pick against my team. But the Yankees scare me this year. I can just as easily see the Yanks winning in 5 or 6. Depends a lot on how Lester and Beckett pitch.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Neat comparison of AL playoff teams

The Boston Globe has a neat interactive comparison of the 4 AL playoff teams:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...soxaldslineup/

It's kind of fun to click all the various options and permutations.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh fuck yeah! Never, ever, ever count the Dodgers out!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Holliday is not going to be popular in St. Louis tomorrow. People here were already pissed at him for looking at three strikes with the bases loaded in the first yesterday, and now this.

It's not over, but it's looking like I'll probably be down to rooting for only two teams (Red Sox and whoever is playing the Yankees).

Registered
    Feb 2009

That was an exciting end but it is not just Holliday, a certain closer also failed to do his job once the mistake was made. It was still two outs.

Congrats Silenus.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    That was an exciting end but it is not just Holliday, a certain closer also failed to do his job once the mistake was made. It was still two outs.
    Granted, but nobody has any faith in Franklin anyway.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, they haven't affected the game, but it would be nice if C.B. Buckner could get his act together umping first base. Those were two pretty bad calls.

(Of course, it would also help if the Sox could throw the damn ball straight in the first place.)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I never saw a man try to catch to trap a line drive between his testicles before. Interesting approach.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Registered
    Feb 2009

That was an incredible game last night. My son was totally engaged last night. It might be the game that takes him from casual fan to nutty fan like me. We had good seats on the third tier above the Twins batting circle. Great views of the entire park. The only play we did not se was the ball down the line the Melky almost caught and the Umpire blew the call on.

Despite Gardenhire and Yankees Haters being petulant about it, I'm pretty sure the Yanks would have won anyway. This is a team that comes back really well.

Nathan was looking pretty shaky. Blackburn looked great. Twins made some surprising mental mistakes they don't normal make. The Yanks just kept trying to comeback.

The home plate Ump seem to have done a really poor job with inconsistant calls for both team.

The Twins left an unbelievable number of runners on base. I swear it was at least one every inning. Nick Punto was nearly impossible to keep off the bases. The wonders of postseason baseball.

Jeter and especially A-Rod are hitting great. Teix got off the snide in the best way possible of course. Setting up the tying runs in the 9th and hitting the game winner, pie in the face short homerun in the 11th.

Outside of Marte, all the pitchers looked good. Hits given up were usually grounders with eyes.

It was a great, tense and exciting game.

More later on the fans.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Jeter is God.

Just sayin'.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Feb 2009

Let's review: Red Sox score one run in two games, Cardinals can't hit with runners in scoring position (or catch routine fly balls) and the Yankees are playing like it's 1999.

Anybody want to talk about football?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by fachverwirrt View post
    Let's review: Red Sox score one run in two games, Cardinals can't hit with runners in scoring position (or catch routine fly balls) and the Yankees are playing like it's 1999.

Anybody want to talk about football?
    Well the Giants are 4-0 and look pretty good. But we have a thread for that.

No surprise I am happy the Red Sox are losing badly but I am shocked by the Cardinals and I guess I was rooting for them over the Dodgers.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well the Giants are 4-0 and look pretty good. But we have a thread for that.

No surprise I am happy the Red Sox are losing badly but I am shocked by the Cardinals and I guess I was rooting for them over the Dodgers.
    The Cards have looked terrible for the last three weeks. Pujols has stopped hitting, the bullpen's been ineffectual and La Russa has been mismanaging pretty badly. I'm sadly unsurprised by their postseason performance (currently losing 4-0 on a three-hitter by Padillo).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Last edited by silenus; 11 Oct 2009 at 10:59 AM.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus View post

Congrats Silenus. I am shocked but they played very well and the Cards did not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, that was typical. I remember now what it's really like to be a Sox fan.

Oh well. Now I can devote my energies to something other than watching baseball. Like, you know, work.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Great pitchers duel so far. Bottom of the 5th, we have 3 hits for both teams so far.

Registered
    Feb 2009

And thus ends the most miserable week of sports I can remember.

Also, GO ANGELS!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I will never watch sports again.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by prr View post
    I will never watch sports again.
    This was somehow worse than 78, 86 or 2003?

Did 2004 change things for you that much?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looking over the ALCS schedule. It appears the Yanks can pitch a 3 man rotation again.

CC would pitch game 4 on short rest. AJ and Andy pitch 5 & 6 on normal rest and CC gets game 7 normal rest. This would leave the bullpen over-powering and the bench strong.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This was somehow worse than 78, 86 or 2003?

Did 2004 change things for you that much?
    Not to speak for prr, but his is pretty much the standard reaction to the standard Red Sox playoff exit. We always come back, though, despite our best judgment.

Also, the Patriots blew a game they should have won two hours after the Sox blew theirs, so it just wasn't a good day.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Phillies take game 1 8-6. Good Job Lidge.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yankees won a good game where they did everything right and the Angels did a lot wrong.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yankees won a good game where they did everything right and the Angels did a lot wrong.
    Shame, too. Not just because the Yankees won, but because it could have been a classic pitcher's duel coming down to the bottom of the ninth or extra innings.

I was watching with the sound off, but I believe of the Yankee's four runs, two were unearned and a third was the result of the dropped pop-up in the first which was technically a single because nobody touched it (therefore the run was earned). Take those three runs away and it's 1-1.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So with Yanks up 2-0 over the Angels thanks to the exciting and nail biting game 2 in the Bronx, play resumes in Anaheim at 4:13pm today (EST) on Fox. The night game is Dodgers at Phillies who are lucky to only be down 2-1 in the series and got dominated yesterday in an 11-0 loss. Cliff Lee was brilliant again and the Dodgers pitching was not.

Weaver goes for the Angels against Andy Pettitte today.

I ran a constant blog of game 2 here: Come join me in a constant Yankees Angels Game 2 blog.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, hey, a series.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, hey, a series.
    Some serious over-management by Joe Girardi tonight. Lots of missed opps for both teams.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Yanks were playing away and Joe managed to keep every reliever available for tonights game. Well, maybe not Hughes.

Pulling Robertson was odd, almost as odd as having Marte face one lefty to end an inning and pulling Coke in to face a different lefty to start the next. Or pinch-hitting Hairston for Gardner who actually has better numbers and is a fairly good light hitter. The fact he used up his bench so fast was depressing.

However, not letting Mo' pitch another inning I was OK with. It was the right move in my opinion consider the game situation and history and facing another game the following night.

Joe G suffers from Tony LaRussa syndrome in the Post Season apparently. He never manages like this normally.

Hopefully CC is OK on short rest, I very much think this was the correct call. Hopefully the Yankee batters remember how to hit. Jeter, A-Rod and Posada have really carried the team. The bottom of the order has done nothing. If the Yanks were hitting at all, Joe G would not have had the chance to over-manage. Of course this same style of over-managing has worked 2 out of 3 times so far, but it seems like he took it to another level last night.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That... may have been the most egregiously bad call I've ever seen.

Not that it made a difference (or accounted for a five run lead), but that was just bizarrely bad.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That... may have been the most egregiously bad call I've ever seen.

Not that it made a difference (or accounted for a five run lead), but that was just bizarrely bad.
    I agree, this is some of the worst umpiring I have ever seen.

I'm a Yankees fan and I was pissed at McClellen for the double tag he did not call. Also of course claiming Swish left early, earlier.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Texeira hasn't really hit in the ALCS but his defense has been awesome. Flawless.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I agree, this is some of the worst umpiring I have ever seen.

I'm a Yankees fan and I was pissed at McClellen for the double tag he did not call. Also of course claiming Swish left early, earlier.
    I missed the Swisher play. Did they call him out on a sacrifice?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I missed the Swisher play. Did they call him out on a sacrifice?
    The ump said he left early but he wasn't even looking at Swish and it was a very bad call.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

They said Swisher left third early but the replay clearly showed him tagging up.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It is so good to finally get a huge lead.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yankees Win 10-1!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have decided to honour Mayor Quimby of Springfield by completely and enthusiastically flip-flopping. I am now the biggest Yankees fan EVER and will be cheering them on for the remainder of the playoffs, which they will no doubt cruise through. Time for me to go dig out the Yankees cap I was given in 1989 when our league, for no apparent reason, decided that the ball team I was coaching was no longer the Angels, but would henceforth be the Yankees (that lasted one year, after which we became the Mariners for a couple years before finally folding into the Dodgers, where I've been ever since. But I digress).

Go Yankees!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post
    I have decided to honour Mayor Quimby of Springfield by completely and enthusiastically flip-flopping. I am now the biggest Yankees fan EVER and will be cheering them on for the remainder of the playoffs, which they will no doubt cruise through. Time for me to go dig out the Yankees cap I was given in 1989 when our league, for no apparent reason, decided that the ball team I was coaching was no longer the Angels, but would henceforth be the Yankees (that lasted one year, after which we became the Mariners for a couple years before finally folding into the Dodgers, where I've been ever since. But I digress).

Go Yankees!
    Well welcome aboard. The Yankees have always had a large number of bandwagon fans and fair weather fans.

Jimbo, have you seen worse umpiring than last night? I cannot think of a game. Maybe a single play that was worse, but not the number for really bad calls that McClueless made.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well welcome aboard. The Yankees have always had a large number of bandwagon fans and fair weather fans.

Jimbo, have you seen worse umpiring than last night? I cannot think of a game. Maybe a single play that was worse, but not the number for really bad calls that McClueless made.
    I only caught a few minutes of the game last night while peeking at it from the ice where I was curling, but I did see the pick off play at second where a Yankee was called safe when he was clearly out. Bad call. But hey, if the Yanks have the umps in their back pocket, that just makes it even more inevitable that they'll win it all. Woo Hoo!

Go Yankees!

ETA: Worst call in MLB playoff history? Jorge Orta called safe at first in the 9th inning of Game Six, 1985. I still remember that call like it was yesterday.
    Last edited by dread pirate jimbo; 21 Oct 2009 at 10:22 AM.

+ Reply to thread