+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who plays Conkers?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Who plays Conkers?

My local area is covered in Horse Chestnut trees and there are a lot of conkers around. I haven't played for years, but I am tempted.

So, who else plays conkers?

What rules do you play by, what tips do you have and, hypothetically speaking of course, how do you cheat?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

What is conkers? Does it involve conking each other over the head with horse chestnuts?
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I remember kids covering them in nail polish to harden them. People always prepared to play conkers but I don't ever recall a game being played.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Taking a 2p bus-ride to the other side of Manchester to harvest some of the best conker trees in the north west, is one of my abiding childhood memories.

Big ones seemed like a good bet to be winning conkers, but the toughest were the ones about the size of a large grape - especially after they had been soaked in vinegar for a week and left to dry in sunlight.

The "rules" were simple... after attaching your conker to a suitable length of string, you then had turns each of trying to whack the other person's conker until one of them broke up and was no longer attached to the string.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

+ Reply to thread