+ Reply to thread

Thread: The pomerium in republican Rome

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default The pomerium in republican Rome

The so called pomerium in Rome was the legal and religious boundary of the city of Rome proper. Even in antiquity the de facto urban area extended beyond those limits but it contained the inner city.

Certain special laws were in force in this area. Among those was a prohibition against bearing arms. So far so good - but does anyone know how it worked in practice?

Even in republican times Rome was large city. There wasn't much in terms of law enforcement as we know it. In general it isn't too hard to imagine how such a thing could work out. The rich and powerful, including the magistrates, had plenty of slaves at their disposal. One suspects that for the masses this meant a lot activity in the gray area between vigilantism and gang warfare. What is harder to imagine is such a society without weapons.

Was there an effective ban of privately owned weapons?

Was there a definition of "weapon" that left some leeway in practice?

How was the defense of the city affected? Was the pomerium completely inside the Servian Wall? (It's surprisingly hard to find good maps.)

A dictator's lictors were exempt from the ban. Did this extend to others under the command of dictator?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have no idea, nor is it something I've been able to find a hint about by looking around online.

I'm hoping a bump to this thread might get someone who does know to notice it, though.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Isn't it where they fed the Poms to the lions?

I'll get my coat

Registered
    Mar 2009

You don't need to police the entire city just the community leaders. If they don't keep the neighborhood inline you lean on them. As long as there is no trouble in the streets who cares how the local boss keeps control.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Wilfried Nippel

Queen of the Metrolink
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    A wretched hive of scum and villainy, So Cal

Quote Originally posted by Glazer View post
    You don't need to police the entire city just the community leaders. If they don't keep the neighborhood inline you lean on them. As long as there is no trouble in the streets who cares how the local boss keeps control.
    Actually, TRomanPTB had a big interest in how the boss(es) kept control. In an oligarchic system like you had in the Republic, whole families ran the show. Many had sponsored gladiator schools (), the products of which they used as their own personal army, which resulted in no end of street violence and political warfare.

So the schools were banished to outside the City.

Anyways, I wish I had a good answer for the OP; maybe if I get some time this weekend I'll email my old prof. I owe her a letter anyways.
    Last edited by Lady Xoc; 21 Oct 2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Grammar
    I'm pro-choice and I shoot back.

+ Reply to thread