+ Reply to thread

Thread: Taking the Lord's name in vain

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Taking the Lord's name in vain

Generally, what are the rules I should look out for?

"Holy shit!" - When I wake up the next day itching from crabs. I don't think this would violate the rule. As I'm not actually invoking any spiritual being in particular.

"Oh Jesusjesusjesusjesus!" - I might exclame as I apply copious amount of lindane to the infected area. Sorry Jesus, I think I might have to say I'm sorry for using your name here.

"Thank God." - The crabs are gone. What's wrong with praising my higher power now that my affliction has passed?

"Fucking Christ shit balls, ow ow ow" - I was napping on the beach and a crab latched itself onto my sensitive bits. This might cross the line and I should probably report to confessional.

Feel free to extend this discussion into doodles I might be drawing of Muhammad while sitting in the emergency department.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"God damn it" seems to be the big one everyone latches onto (no pun intended with your crabs example there), but really, what's so wrong with that? You're asking God to damn something. That something is probably something bad, at least in your mind. It's probably no more wrong than praying for God to stop the rain so you don't mess up your hair between buses.

Hell, all through the Bible you find examples of people asking God to damn things. Judge my enemies, strike down those sinners, send a she-bear to kill those children, etc. Clearly, this has as much scriptural backbone behind it as saying "God bless you." Possibly even more!

Instead, I'd consider "taking the Lord's name in vain" to apply to things wherein you make a statement and then try to put the force of God behind it. If instead of saying, "God damn it!" you say, "God is going to send you to Hell," well, then you've taken the Lord's name in vain. This is something the religious and fiery are more likely to be guilty of than your run of the mill heathen.

You might be in trouble for that "Jesus shit balls" thing, though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Instead, I'd consider "taking the Lord's name in vain" to apply to things wherein you make a statement and then try to put the force of God behind it. If instead of saying, "God damn it!" you say, "God is going to send you to Hell," well, then you've taken the Lord's name in vain. This is something the religious and fiery are more likely to be guilty of than your run of the mill heathen.
    That's what I thought it meant, too. Like those fucking billboards put up by some group of self-righteous jackasses who think it's okay for them to sign God's name to their own words.

Here's a bit of clueless irony:

I guess they could weasel out of it by saying that they only used "God", the generic designation, rather than "Yahweh", the name.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You guys are so special because you're not religious.

also: what's the most offensive way i can take the lords name in vain. help
    Last edited by hatesfreedom; 13 Oct 2009 at 09:49 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by hatesfreedom View post
    You guys are so special because you're not religious.

also: what's the most offensive way i can take the lords name in vain. help
    Combine blasphemy, sex, and excrement.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, offensiveness is all in the mind of the listener. So you have to consider your audience.

Little old blue-haired ladies are too easy to discuss. Almost any snarl will do for them.

Regular citizens can be more of a challenge. You should look them over and try to tailor your curses to any peculiarities they may have. Screaming and spit spray usually enhance the delivery. Tougher specimens may need to be helped along with a subtle head butt or stomp to the instep.

But if you run into a grizzled old drill sergeant - don't waste your time. They can't even hear you unless you are shooting at them.

Ten extra points if you manage to work in accurate biblical references without ever having cracked a bible.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Related to this is the dim view of things like old-fashioned oaths where you try to put God on the spot, especially if used frivolously:
    "God, smite me here and now if that email didn't end up in my spam filter!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz View post
    Related to this is the dim view of things like old-fashioned oaths where you try to put God on the spot, especially if used frivolously:
    "God, smite me here and now if that email didn't end up in my spam filter!"
    Good point. This sort of thing seems far more offensive towards God than a bunch of childish swearing. "Taking the Lord's name in vain" seems, to me at least, to be about a lack of respect. God isn't there at your beck and call. God isn't there to back up what you're saying.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Jesus cunting Christ.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Actually, taking the Lord's name in vain, if I understand it, goes beyond "God damn it" and etc. From the book "The Fruits of the Spirit" (I will link it when I get home and get the book's ISBN), taking the Lord's Name in Vain refers to using the authority behind the name causally, such as "The Lord told me to change vocations" or "The Lord told me that it is time to rejoin the working world" - or even "The Lord came to me in a vision, and told me that you should not abort the child". So yes, all those spiritual leaders who made baseless claims and said God told him so may be comitting the sin of taking the Lord's name in vain.

It's not the usage of the word per se, but the idea of saying "God told me" when God didn't really did so. If you read further down in Exdous, there are laws concerning swearing oaths upon God's name and fufilling them. The author of the book give theleogical grounds that this is what taking the Lord's name in vain means - swear an oath in His name when you aren't really serious about it.

If anyone is more interested in this exploring this line of thought, I be glad to quote the relevant passages.

Edit: Here's the book I've mentioned

More: I tend to notice that in the Bible, when it comes to using the Lord's name, it is either 'May the Lord...' or 'If it pleases the Lord...', which indicates a tone of respect. The Psalms are prayers, and so I think are excluded in a sense. Same too for the Prophets (Daniel, Jeremiah etc.)
    Last edited by crazychop; 19 Oct 2009 at 04:11 AM.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

We mere mortals would never even be able to pronounce a god's name, so how could we take it in vain?

You religious folks will start an argument over anything!
    Last edited by ivan astikov; 19 Oct 2009 at 04:25 AM.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov View post
    We mere mortals would never even be able to pronounce a god's name, so how could we take it in vain?

You religious folks will start an argument over anything!
    Do you mean, eh, Cthulhu or Yog-sothoth?

+ Reply to thread