+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hey, you - ask something!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Hey, you - ask something!

Yes, you.

Ask more Questions-and-Answers-questions.
    Why? Because I like them. I might or might not answer them but I enjoy reading them, and you don't post any.

We have 523 threads in Q&A. 73 of those are by CRSP.
    That leaves a nice round and pathetic 450 for the rest. In the last month it wasn't even one per day.

Now go ask a question.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I was thinking of doing this same thing.

I saw that Germany just had it's elections. Is the general public as rabid about they're political beliefs as they are over here?
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Falling Reverend View post
    I saw that Germany just had it's elections. Is the general public as rabid about they're political beliefs as they are over here?
    For the most part it's nowhere close.
    Of course some people have strong political opinions but some things are still different. One thing that seems outright disturbing is the apparent gulf between the sides in US politics. You have significant chunks of the population who seem genuinely concerned that the political opponent will ruin the country. It doesn't matter which side, if any, is correct. The whole sentiment is relatively strange to us.
    My party just suffered a severe loss in the election but I can still rest assured that the country is in competent hands and nothing overly horrible will happen. Merkel has her weaknesses but it would be hard to deny her strengths and I have no objections to her as a person.
    We also don't have quite the same hot-button issues that divide the population. For example both sides years ago made their peace with the status quo on abortion (which would be unacceptable to both sides in the US.) Of course people disagree about things all the time, but usually the disagreements aren't as dramatic.
    I think that to some extent the stronger role of parties and party discipline prevents the kind of extreme political litmus tests that you have in the US, both for office-holders and the general population.

This thread is taking an unexpected turn ...

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

You forgot to RAEG!!! at the Rev and tell him to take it to Q&A toot-fucking-sweet!

What a ball-sack! What's this Pit Of Raeg coming to?
    Last edited by ivan astikov; 03 Oct 2009 at 04:06 AM.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

+ Reply to thread