Registered
    Feb 2009

Default 2016 Olympic Games

So, 4 choices of city.

Chicago
    Madrid
    Rio de Janeiro
    Tokyo

So which one fo these fine cities deserves it and will they regret getting it in a couple of years time.

Considering we have had a couple of presidents, some royalty, prime ministers and so on, it really is becoming a showpiece.

My tip is Rio de Janeiro for the first Olympic Games held in South America.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm terrified that Chicago will get it. I think we have a good chance, with Obama being so well-liked and this being his (adopted) hometown. The city looked really nice in the presntations, too.

I just hope to God that if we do get it, TPTB don't fuck it up too badly and there won't be any massive corruption scandals associated with it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm in London, we already have it in three years time.

I'm sure Paris is still sniggering at us.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, that's right, London is next. How are the plans going so far?

Chicago is planning to build a temporary Olympic stadium (don't really get how that works). Is there some kind of rule (spoken or unspoken) that says you HAVE to build a stadium for that purpose? Because we have a brand-new, state of the art football stadium that's literally steps away from where they want to put the Olympic Village (prime location, too...right on the lake front). Why can't they use that?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Plans are going surprisingly well considering the credit crunch wiped out a lot of investment. Really, it all depends what they do with it afterwards.

The last major Games hosted here was the Commonwealth games in Manchester and those venues are still begin very well used. So maybe it is possible.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like Chicago is out at the first round.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    I'm terrified that Chicago will get it. I think we have a good chance, with Obama being so well-liked and this being his (adopted) hometown. The city looked really nice in the presntations, too.

I just hope to God that if we do get it, TPTB don't fuck it up too badly and there won't be any massive corruption scandals associated with it.
    I think Chicago can manage the Olympics with relative ease. The city scales easily to accommodate highly variable convention traffic, and did a nice job with the World Cup.

On a personal note, I think Chicago is one of the most overlooked cities on the planet. Anything calls attention to it is cool by me.

Note that I live and work in the suburbs, so the craziness will have little direct impact on me.

I think Sarahfeena's absurdly long commute is subject to some serious brutalization.

This just in: Chicago's out.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I hate to have been the first one out, but can't say I'm sorry overall. Go go Rio!

Registered
    Mar 2009

BTW, Oliveloaf, my concern wasn't so much with the crowds and traffic, as that only lasts a few weeks. My concern was with the development needed to get ready for it, which wasn't really an issue with the world cup. They would have to build a stadium, the Olympic Village, and probably have a lot of preparation for other venues, as well. Millenium Park took twice as long to complete as it was supposed to, and that Bean alone ran double it's original budget. Can you imagine getting the infrastructure ready for an event like the Olympics?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Damn! I was really hoping Chicago would get the Olympics. Ever since I was a kid I've always wanted to go see the games.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I was prepared to spend some righteous capital to take my kid to some of the equestrian events. Sigh.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Down to Madrid and Rio now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

And it's gone to Rio

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, good for them!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm glad it went to Rio. It's about time the Olympics went to South America.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am curious as well about Feena's question. Does the city have to build a new stadium?
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Rio isn't the safest place to be on a normal day, this seems like a bad idea.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It'll just give them a lot of stories about security preperations that everyone can pat themselves on the back about.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes We Créu

Whatever that means.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ok, I don't really care who got the Olympics.........but Rio is south of the Equator. And aren't the seasons opposite of what we Northern Hemisphere types are used to on the other side of the equator? So aren't they going to be having the summer Olympics in the winter time in Brazil? Is that kind of retarded?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    Ok, I don't really care who got the Olympics.........but Rio is south of the Equator. And aren't the seasons opposite of what we Northern Hemisphere types are used to on the other side of the equator? So aren't they going to be having the summer Olympics in the winter time in Brazil? Is that kind of retarded?
    No more so than when it was in Melbourne (1956) or Sydney (2000).

June and July are the coolest, driest months in Rio. The highest temperatures are typically about 24 C (75 F).

ETA: I think. Do we have any South American posters?

Futher ETA: I wonder if a bunch of homeless children will mysteriously disappear before the Games.
    Last edited by Baldwin; 03 Oct 2009 at 09:17 AM.

+ Reply to thread