+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ask the Baseball Coach

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    Yeah, I'm reluctant to defend A-Rod as a human being either. The best interpretation you can put on too many of his actions over the years is that he is possesed of an epically huge sense of entitlement.

I do wonder though how this mound-crossing incident happened. Was it:

1) A Machiavellian plan on his part to get inside the head of a young pitcher by doing something, apparently innoncently, that he could plausibly deny doing on purpose?

2) An honest mistake on his part where he crossed the mound on purpose and really didn't expect the reaction he got?

or

3) He is so supremely wrapped up in himself that other human beings barely register and he didn't think about it one way or the other?
    I'd go with either 1) or 3), but lean towards 1) based on his track record. Notwithstanding his pleas of innocence and the debate over whether staying off the mound is even a real thing, A-Roid has been playing ball practically since he could walk and has been a professional baseball player for literally half his life (also literally his entire adult life). The suggestion that he's never heard of such a thing or that it has never occurred to him strikes me as some serious bullshit in the same way that all his other claims of innocence sound more like bullshit every time he has to explain another action. It's chintzy and bush-league, but if it gets into the pitcher's head just a little, he's accomplished his goal. But, to give him the benefit of the doubt, there is the possibility that 3) is true and that he just lives his life completely oblivious to everything (and everyone) around him. Big egos tend to have that effect on people.

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Something I'm kinda curious about is a point Jimbo touched on. Why doesn't A-Rod get the dustings and the cleats to the shin that would have been used to teach him some manners in an earlier era?
    I think there are two reasons. The first one is that pitchers in the modern era, for most part, are a bunch of pussies and that is at least partly due to the use of aluminum bats in the lower levels. Used to be that you could challenge a hitter with a pitch in on the hands and saw his bat in two; when the batter is swinging aluminum, that inside pitch can be fought off for a basehit. As a result, the art of coming inside on hitters has largely been lost on pitchers. Additionally, because any idiot with an aluminum bat can hit a fastball, more and more emphasis has been placed on throwing wiggly stuff, and so kids don't develop the velocity they once had on their fastball. Moreover, it has made hitters more aggressive about crowding the plate because they don't fear getting hit as much. And because the net result is fewer hit batters and pitchers getting used to being abused by hitters with several huge advantages, they don't tend to take out their frustration on the hitters' ribs anymore.

The second reason is money. With so many dollars on the line now in the pro ranks, a lot of pitchers are reluctant to dot a hitter with a purpose pitch and hitters are far more likely to charge the mound if they do get hit, rather than just taking it like a man and going to first base. Every now and then you'll see a remoresless power pitcher out there with no qualms about knocking people down (see Nolan Ryan, Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens, etc.), but it has become pretty uncommon to take care of your own business. I firmly believe that's to the detriment of the game -- getting hit by pitches now and then is part of baseball -- but it's probably something that will become less and less common as time goes on.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Amusing Onion take on the controversy.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post
    I'd go with either 1) or 3), but lean towards 1) based on his track record. ....

Interesting. Since interpretation 1 credits him with more intelligence and awareness than interpretation 3 in a way this is a backhanded compliment to him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Interesting. Since interpretation 1 credits him with more intelligence and awareness than interpretation 3 in a way this is a backhanded compliment to him.
    Well, in that case, I apologize. I was in no way trying to be complimentary to him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

<snip>

3) He is so supremely wrapped up in himself that other human beings barely register and he didn't think about it one way or the other?
    He was too busy thinking about getting another picture painted of himself as a centaur.

+ Reply to thread