+ Reply to thread

Thread: 250 Years of Guinness

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default 250 Years of Guinness

It was 250 years ago today that the lease was signed on a disused brewery in Dublin.

Long live the black stuff, one of the greatest drinks ever created.

And creator of some excellent adverts as well.

In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I had a couple of pints of Guinness last night with my buffalo wings. It's never been my #1 favorite beer, but it's saved my biscuits on many a night when it was the only thing on tap at the bar besides Bud Light and Coors Light. So cheers, Guinness.

Also, I should mention that Guinness Extra Stout - the slightly stronger, non-nitro-tap version - actually is one of my favorite beers.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Guinness Extra is the only Guinness worth drinking at home. It's primative and delicious. It's also the starting basis for the best bloody mary in the history of alcoholism.

I love the black stuff more than just about any beer in the world. I can consume astonishing amounts of it in a go, I think one evening on vacation I had 23 pints over the course of the evening. It's truly one of the easiest drinking beers ever made, but sadly it's one of the hardest to have at home and have it be good. Guinness is great because to have good Guinness you need to have it socially in a bar.

Oh, and the special 250 version they released for this year is also excellent stuff.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I am not a Guinness fan but I respect there contribution to Beer lovers everywhere and I am thankful to them as the US importers of Bass Ale. My favorite beer by far.

So happy 250th Guinness

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Happy Birthday Guinness!

It isn't my favorite beer, but it's a good one, and when you are in the mood nothing else will do.

I have been meaning to grab a bit of the 250 edition to sample at home, I think I will go seek some of that out tonight.

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    Guinness Extra is the only Guinness worth drinking at home. It's primative and delicious. It's also the starting basis for the best bloody mary in the history of alcoholism.
    You can't just throw something like that out there and not follow up with a recipie. That's just cruel.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138 View post
    You can't just throw something like that out there and not follow up with a recipie. That's just cruel.
    True enough. Here's how I get down, feel free to adjust at will:

1 pint glass
    1 small water glass
    Vodka of choice
    Guinness
    Twisted Spoke Bloody Mary Mix (Tabasco is also acceptable)
    Celery Salt
    Salami
    Swiss cheese
    Olives
    Celery

Take your pint glass and fill it with ice at least half way. Pour between one and two fingers of the Guinness Extra into the bottom of the glass. Add as much vodka as you think prudent (Pertskova works well, cheap and really spicy peppered Russian vodka) and then as much bloody mary mix will still fit in the glass. Garnish with olives, celery, roll the salami and Swiss cheese together and hold with a toothpick, and dunk that sucker too. Sprinkle with more hot sauce or the celery salt or whatever else you like in your bloody. The Guinness works really well with the tomato juice to give it a nice rounded earthy flavor and a smooth mouth feel as well as a nice, deep red color. I don’t use the Worstershire sauce with this one, but to each their own. Pour the rest of the Guinness into the small water glass to use as a “beer back”. Commence getting wasted at breakfast.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I find it depressing that Ireland in most people's minds is boiled down to a Diageo or Pernod Ricard product. I drink the occasional Guinness but it doesn't travel very well and tastes like swill in most bars even in Dublin. I've heard that it used to be not so popular with the locals, dubbed "Protestant Porter". I know quite a few lads who drink Guinness but I'd say a pissy American or Dutch or Danish beer is probably a more common sight. Smithwick's is older and a nicer taste, although also owned by evil Diageo.

+ Reply to thread