+ Reply to thread

Thread: A review of the cooking reality show Chopped

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default A review of the cooking reality show Chopped

I watched this last night on Oliveloaf's recommendation, and quite enjoyed it. It's a cooking reality show with self-contained episodes (4 new chefs and 1 winner each episode, vs. a large pool and eliminate one each week).

The way it works is that they have 3 rounds of cooking (each is a course of a meal), and one person is eliminated each round). For each course, they are given an odd combination of ingredients that they have to use in the dish, and the combinations get odder/more difficult in each round. They have 30 minutes for each round, and they serve their dishes to 3 judges, who choose who is to be eliminated.

Ted Allen of Queer Eye fame is the host. A great choice...I really like him and he cares about food. The judges I wasn't as sure about, although I'm not sure if they have the same judges every epsiode or not. Two of them were condescending to the contestants, which I thought was unnecessary.

Overall, though, a good show. Will definitely watch it again.

Registered
    Feb 2009

We watch this all the time at my house, but I dislike Ted Allen. He just doesn't have the personality. First they tried him out in that Mythbusters meets Alton Brown show where he worked on food myths and other sciencey stuff, but now he just sometimes judges Iron Chef and hosts Chopped, where he's really not that involved with the show. They like to use it to push new chefs as judges, but the premise of the show is kind of dumb. Any real chef worth the cost of their knives would walk off that set.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The mystery ingredients can be extremely bizarre.

The judges do rotate, though from the same group of 6-7 people. And none of them are hot.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

OH, one thing I forgot to mention about this show is that it seems as though the judges watch the cooking, which I think they also do on Iron Chef, but not on Top Chef. They are sitting at a table, and the 4 kitchen setups are right in front of them, so they can see everything. I would hate that if I were the Chefs!

The returning champion on the episode I saw kept sweeping his hair off his face with his hands...guess he didn't want to tie his hair back when he was trying to be pretty boy for the cameras, but it was kind of gross. And one of the judges had a hair in her food. Despite this, that chef made it through the round! Ick. And not very professional.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    OH, one thing I forgot to mention about this show is that it seems as though the judges watch the cooking, which I think they also do on Iron Chef, but not on Top Chef. They are sitting at a table, and the 4 kitchen setups are right in front of them, so they can see everything. I would hate that if I were the Chefs!

The returning champion on the episode I saw kept sweeping his hair off his face with his hands...guess he didn't want to tie his hair back when he was trying to be pretty boy for the cameras, but it was kind of gross. And one of the judges had a hair in her food. Despite this, that chef made it through the round! Ick. And not very professional.
    I was so glad that dude lost!

The judges have a big issue with "double dipping", essentially tasting twice with the same spoon.

Apparently those judges have never seen an episode of the original
    Iron Chef.

Sakai rules!
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll bet the double dipping thing happens all the time in real restaurants (not that I like to think about it, but I'll bet it does). But I'm sure most chefs keep their hair back.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I can't remember her name, but the grouchy chick doesn't seem to like anyone or anything. I think I've seen her smile maybe once on another show (My Favorite Food)
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll bet the double dipping thing happens all the time in real restaurants (not that I like to think about it, but I'll bet it does). But I'm sure most chefs keep their hair back.
    Most chefs aren't making their television debuts either. I doubt the producers want full blown hairnets, and only stocky dudes with shaved heads look good with bandanas.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali View post
    I can't remember her name, but the grouchy chick doesn't seem to like anyone or anything. I think I've seen her smile maybe once on another show (My Favorite Food)
    Do you mean the blonde lady? She seemed pissed at everyone.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Do you mean the blonde lady? She seemed pissed at everyone.
    No. The evil-eye-giving Italian lady. I'll find her.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Last edited by jali; 24 Sep 2009 at 08:19 AM.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali View post
    She's a bitch.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hmmm...haven't seen her yet. The blonde lady is kind of mean, as well.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That's Alex Guarnaschelli. She's a stone bitch.

The only FN woman to out-bitch her it the evil cake lady on Food Network Challenge.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    only stocky dudes with shaved heads look good with bandanas.
    They don't have to shave their heads...

Since I'm unlikely to see the show, can anyone give me an example of what ingredients might be thrown at the contestants?

+ Reply to thread