+ Reply to thread

Thread: "New Every Two" = $50 credit towards...?

No Ordinary Rabbit Count Blucher's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default "New Every Two" = $50 credit towards...?

I have Verizon wireless service in a 'New Every Two" plan. This month my "2" were up and I got an email notification for... A $50 credit towards a new phone.

OK, there are a number of phones you can get for $50 and a 2 year contract from their website...but there are even more that are free and all are the 'crap' phones. They do have a few decent phones for over $100 with a 2 year contract and the best ones are far more than that.

This brings me to my question: how can they advertise the program as 'new every two', but get away with sticking you a lousy $50 credit? Isn't this blatant false advertising?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I not sure I follow. What was promised up front?

A new phone every two years? What sort of phone did they give you the first time? Was the deal for a $200 phone and 2 year service contract or was it something else?

No Ordinary Rabbit Count Blucher's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Sorry. Yes, its was a service contract that renews every 2 years. Initially, the promise was a new phone every 2 years, but I'm finding that what they really promised through either fine print or changes to the agreement after the fact was a $50 credit towards a phone purchase when you auto-renew for 2 more years. I guess they can advertise this way... because they do.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Count Blucher View post
    I guess they can advertise this way... because they do.
    If you feel that the advertising is truly misleading, call your state's attorney general's office. This sort of thing, if they get enough complaints, is one of the ways that class action lawsuits get filed. Simply because they're doing it doesn't mean that it will stand up in court.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Did you really expect that every two years they were going to toss you a solid gold Iphone? You do get a new phone, sorry if you don't like the choices, but it is new. Don't like the free ones, well here's $50 towards a better one. Oh, you want the shiney new phone that we're selling at a loss to attract new subscribers? Well tough shit Jack, cough up the dough.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    Did you really expect that every two years they were going to toss you a solid gold Iphone? You do get a new phone, sorry if you don't like the choices, but it is new. Don't like the free ones, well here's $50 towards a better one. Oh, you want the shiney new phone that we're selling at a loss to attract new subscribers? Well tough shit Jack, cough up the dough.
    Nope, actually don't renew, work a better deal and transfer the number to the new service, be it Verizon or a competitor.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sure, that's a good plan, but to act like they're ripping you off is kind of dumb. Of course they're ripping you off, they're a cell provider. It's what they do.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    Sure, that's a good plan, but to act like they're ripping you off is kind of dumb. Of course they're ripping you off, they're a cell provider. It's what they do.
    Because they enjoy it. Really they do.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It’s really more to blame on handset manufacturers. They rush new shiny phones out every two months that they will advertise until the point that you want to commit suicide via cell phone. Those phones cost, approximately, 500% more than anyone who is not Paris Hilton is willing to pay, so the service provider decides that nobody will want a phone above a certain price point and just arbitrarily sets a price that matches. Meanwhile, who is going to pay the difference from the cost of that handset? You will, over the next two years. Most likely in the $2k range, because let’s face it, providing cell and data services does not cost $150 a month to ATT or Verizon or Sprint. You’re mostly just helping them hide the price of those neat phones.

That's why Iphone users take it up the USB. Those phones cost a small fortune, just look how much one goes for without the contract. Why do you think that is?

+ Reply to thread