+ Reply to thread

Thread: So, tell me this isn't bigotry. (New poll about gay marriage in Iowa)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default So, tell me this isn't bigotry. (New poll about gay marriage in Iowa)

Iowans evenly divided on gay marriage

This poll is in reference to whether there should be a constitutional ban of gay marriage in Iowa after their Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional earlier this year. I'm really glad that 40% of Iowans would not vote to take away rights that have already been given.

What really burns me is that 92% of those polled "say gay marriage has brought no real change to their lives" and yet 41% of them would vote for a ban. So explain to me how that isn't just flat-out bigotry. Gay marriages are not being forced on churches and the evils of sodomy aren't being broadcast to school children. Society is intact!

This is going to turn into Prop 8 all over again.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ugh. It's stuff like this that just drives me nuts. Yeah, that is flat out bigotry. It has no effect on their lives whatsoever, and yet they oppose it because...what, precisely? They just think it shouldn't exist? It hurts no one and would probably help the economy by encouraging people to spend tens of thousands of dollars on weddings.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well to be fair, many Iowans know what the queers have been doing to the soil, especially around Des Moines, so they don't want to encourage them.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It is bigotry, but it is a bigotry that is still only slowly being overcome. Every poll I have seen shows that younger generations are much less bigoted and especially about sexual orientation. Much like my generation had minimal racism left as far as voting goes; I think we are 20 years away from the gay marriage bans going away in almost every state. Not that this makes it easier for people today, but as states give full rights, people can vote with their feet and move to where they are recognized as equal before the law.

Iowa might surprise us. It might not enact this ban. I don’t think they are as backwards as some other states and seem to have more of a live and let live vibe. I hope I am right.

Meanwhile when not even liberal California did the right thing, I would not be shocked if Iowa also screws up.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The thing about Iowans is, they're so by-God stubborn they can stand touching noses for a week, and never see eye-to-eye. So any kind of meaningful social change takes time.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

News flash: old people are still not down with faggotry.

We just have to wait a few years for a few more of them to die off, it'll all be fine.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post

We just have to wait a few years for a few more of them to die off, it'll all be fine.
    Well yes, basically that is it in a nutshell.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post

It'll certainly help, that's for sure. I can't believe the changes even since I've been in school.

It's hard to change the old folks. I was talking to my dad about gay marriage once, and he was like, "hey, give them all the legal protection you want, just don't call it marriage." It's hard to argue with that, because it isn't logical. A lot of the feelings people have on this, older people especially, are based on emotions and societal conventions that have just been drilled into their heads. Those things are changing, and peoples' attitudes will change with it.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If you want to help the cause of gay marriage, become an Angel of Death at your local retirement community.

This message was brought to you by the Human Rights Campaign.

+ Reply to thread