+ Reply to thread

Thread: What Firefox plugins/extensions should I get?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default What Firefox plugins/extensions should I get?

Having finally given up on IE for Firefox, I have been playing with a few of the plugins and extensions.

At the moment, it's just AdBlock+ and the Red Cats Theme

So what do you recommend I should look at?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Good question and if you don't mind I want to ask one myself.

I can't seem to get Firefox 3.5 to keep default usernames and passwords. Anyone have this problem before? Do you know the solution?

Registered
    Feb 2009

If you do a lot of image searching Cooliris is awesome, if slightly intrusive. It pulls images into a huge flying scrolling wall that you can spin through effortlessly. It's really one of the best interfaces I've ever seen.

I also run Greasemonkey, which allows you to put Javascript commands over lots of different sites and customize them to your liking. For example with the Greasemonkey script for Facebook I no longer see ads, suggestions, or quizzes. They're all blocked by the Facebook Purity script. Pretty sweet.

If there isn't a Greasemonkey script for something you can always go with NoScript too, which allows individual script line blocking on anything else.

Oh and the automatic spellchecker is a lifesaver too. I hate having to use IE here at work now that I got on the Firefox bandwagon.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I use NoScript, though it's sometimes a pain in the ass - there are a couple of sites I go to that just will not work if it's enabled, even if I allow scripts globally.

Photobucket uploader - just right click on an image on the web and select the correct option to upload it to your Photobucket account.

Multirow bookmarks toolbar - makes your bookmarks toolbar have more than one row.

I have lots of different search engines added to the search box on the toolbar - super convenient.

Joe

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Wheresgeorge04 View post
    Photobucket uploader - just right click on an image on the web and select the correct option to upload it to your Photobucket account.
    Add that to the list of things to install when I get home....
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Are you a programmer or web person? If you are and you don't know about firebug you have no idea what you're missing. Very nice HTML/DOM browser/editor for the current page, plus javascript debugger and interactive console. For me, doing web work is separated into two eras, one before firebug and one after.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Autopager (or use the greasemonkey autopaging scripts)
    Lazarus: form recovery. No more losing an entire post or form because the computer crashed.
    Photobucket uploader. I use it frequently.
    Web of Trust: helpful in avoiding nefarious websites.
    Xmarks: Uploads your bookmarks to a server; can sync bookmarks between several computers. My home computer and work computer are synced.
    "There are no ordinary people. ... It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." C.S. Lewis

Registered
    Mar 2009

Fire.FM adds a tool bab that lets you play music from Last.FM .
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Wheresgeorge04 View post
    This one works like a charm. I love it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I find Close Button useful. A button on the tool bar for closing tabs. Click, Click, Click!
    "Klaatu barada nikto extra cheese."

Registered
    Mar 2009

I like Scrapbook which lets you capture whole webpages, or parts of a webpage. It keeps them in a pulldown menu. It's good for saving online banking statements and stuff like that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Do you do any sort of research that means you need to keep a bibliography around? If so, I discovered Zotero earlier today (www.zotero.org), and having played around with it for a couple of hours, decided it's amazing. It captures bibliographic data from a webpage and lets you export to hundreds of different formats/bibliography styles. It also lets you tag files, and mark papers as being related, for easy searching, and has a "group feature", by which members of a group can merge their bibliographies remotely.
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

+ Reply to thread