+ Reply to thread

Thread: What do you do with cabbage?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default What do you do with cabbage?

Turns out my fiancee has a fierce hankering for cabbage. Ok....I know how to make corned beef and cabbage and cole slaw. What else can be done to make this faux-lettuce into a delicious something?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You make galumpkis. Which is cabbage rolls stuffed with ground beef and rice and cooked in a tomato sauce. Here's a pretty easy recipe. Polish grandmother not included, unfortunately.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I like to boil it with potatoes and just put a little salt, pepper and butter on it. Or you can do cabbage rolls stuffed with ground beef or a veggie mix and cover them either in gravy or tomato sauce. I think i might have even had cabbage soup before.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I like your fiancee. I mean, if she's going to have a fierce hankering for something, better that it be 39 cent a head cabbage than, say, truffles or foie gras.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Now that's what I'm talking about. Simple ingrediants lend themselves to endless varations too, which I like.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    I like your fiancee. I mean, if she's going to have a fierce hankering for something, better that it be 39 cent a head cabbage than, say, truffles or foie gras.
    This was not lost on me.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm one of those perverts who eats it raw. I think it's delicious raw, I can take it or leave it when the flavour and texture's been boiled out of it.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by An Gadaí View post
    I'm one of those perverts who eats it raw. I think it's delicious raw, I can take it or leave it when the flavour and texture's been boiled out of it.
    Is this common in Ireland?

Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by An Gadaí View post
    I too prefer it raw and it is/was quite common to include raw cabbage in salads in Sweden.
    Otherwise, just barely cooked, unlike the way mother used to make it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Is this common in Ireland?
    Not that I know of, I'm the only person I know who does it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You know how you cut out that bitter core center part of a cabbage before chopping/slicing/shredding/cooking? My dad always loved to eat crunchy cabbage cores raw, although he's the only one I've ever seen.

We do a "I'm lazy and it's quick" dinner my mom always used to make with cabbage, imaginatively titled Boiled Dinner. Cabbage, carrots, potatoes and kielbasa boiled up until the veg are tender. Sometimes when I'm feeling frisky, I'll toss in half a chopped apple.

But the most popular cabbage dish in my house is just cooking it down with some bacon. Grab a big skillet, roughly chop a half pound of bacon into bite sized pieces and start browning them. Chop half a head of cabbage while they cook and toss it right in. What's better with vegetables than bacon?

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I hope I'm not stepping on An Gadai's toes by proposing an Irish dish, but colcannon is good. Basically, it's just mashed potatoes with bits of cooked cabbage or kale mixed in. I like it best with kale, but cabbage will do.
    Last edited by Hatshepsut; 14 Sep 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I actually don't have a monopoly (yet) on all things Irish so it's not stepping on my toes at all.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CairoCarol View post
    I hope I'm not stepping on An Gadai's toes by proposing an Irish dish, but colcannon is good. Basically, it's just mashed potatoes with bits of cooked cabbage or kale mixed in. I like it best with kale, but cabbage will do.
    Or kale? Sheeeit. Only kale. That's why I didn't mention it.

And it's extra good with bacon in it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I like cabbage in pot roast.

I love shredding it like coleslaw then putting it in the fridge in a marinade and eating it as a side dish. Sort of like quick sauerkraut.

Or you can make sauerkraut. If you've only had the store bought kind, you haven't lived!

+ Reply to thread