+ Reply to thread

Thread: The (Bargain) Wine Cellar! Come on in!

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default The (Bargain) Wine Cellar! Come on in!

I appreciate wine, but I'm not a wine person. Know what I mean? If you're like me, this is your thread too, and I hope you'll contribute your favorites. Only rule is that it's got to be under $20 for a 750ml bottle. Here's a starter:

Pacific Rim Dry Riesling - $12.99
    Actually, artifex turned me on to this one, and it's the first Riesling I tried. It wasn't until I tried a couple of others, and found out how sweet and desserty they usually are, that I realized how dry this one really is. This is one of my favorite wines - definitely my favorite white wine - for sipping by itself, or for drinking with hot, spicy foods. It's strongly flavored compared to a lot of other whites, but still crisp and refreshing. Just be sure you grab the dry, as opposed to the similar-looking Pacific Rim Sweet Riesling.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This thread did not deserve to fail! :Shake:

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Hocker Stain Glens - Security Cap Red $1.99 200ml

An acquaintance in lockup turned me on to this snappy little red. The handy curved bottle is shaped perfectly for pocket decanting, while the prostitute depicted on the
    label subtly defuses any pretense that some "snob" is too good to drink cream ale in stir. Security Cap Red is light on the tongue, followed by a brief but intense burning sensation
    that may trigger the gag reflex in some drinkers, concluding with an oaky, floral note. An astringent bouquet reminiscent of 'Lectra Shave only hints at the pain in store.

I give Hocker Stain Glens Security Cap Red 2.5 bond cards.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, this thread does not deserve to fail. The best bargain red on the market right now is the Santa Margarita (they of pino grigio fame) Cabernet. It goes for around $16 in these parts and it is equal to if not better than bottles I've had that go for over $60. Cabs are the big, bad mothers of reds, but if you're grilling red meat this can handle it all with aplomb and style.

My fiancee is a wino, so when I'm picking up beer I usually pick her up wine at the same time. It frustrates me sometimes that her tipple of the evening costs twice what I'm spending on mine so I'll keep posting in this one with new examples of reds that I buy on a regular basis, and believe me they all cost less than $20.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    This thread did not deserve to fail! :Shake:
    It's a slow death...
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Bad Tempered Old Tyrant Queen of Hearts's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

OneCentStamp, you might like to try Two Rivers Winery's 2007 Tulip. It's a Rosé made with 85% Riesling and 15% Merlot, but it is not really sweet like some Rieslings. The price on the winery's list is $12.00 per bottle, which is less expensive than buying it locally here (Grand Junction, CO). I think I paid either $12.99 or $13.99. For a sweet Riesling, we like Colorado Cellars Alpenglow Colorado White Riesling at around the same price.

+ Reply to thread