+ Reply to thread

Thread: Does firefox do this? Do any browsers do this?

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Does firefox do this? Do any browsers do this?

I have a problem with windows.. I open too many. One for this topic.. with seven tabs. One for that.. A new one when something else comes to mind and I don't want to muck up the topics that I'm covering in other tabs. Before I know it.. 8 windows full of tabs. Things go slow and I gotta close the whole thing.

Does firefox at all have a "consolidate into one window" option? Does any browser?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Safari can, with a menu item called 'merge all windows'.

Haven't seen anything like that for Firefox, but now that you've mentioned it, I would like that function too. I use both browsers and have the same browsing habit as you. I will have a hunt...

ETA: Looks like there is an add-on available for it. Eighth item on the page.

Registered
    Apr 2009

It is a wild leap to the side but I use Ubuntu. As with any version of Linux you can have multiple desktops.
    I open a different browser in each desktop, each with up to a dozen tabs open, then just cycle through them.
    The multiple desktops are on the lower taskbal where the Windows Systray would be.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Clayton_e View post
    I have a problem with windows.. I open too many. One for this topic.. with seven tabs. One for that.. A new one when something else comes to mind and I don't want to muck up the topics that I'm covering in other tabs. Before I know it.. 8 windows full of tabs. Things go slow and I gotta close the whole thing.

Does firefox at all have a "consolidate into one window" option? Does any browser?
    I have very good experience with Tab Mix Plus add-on for Firefox. With it you can merge windows easily by selecting "merge windows" option from tab menu.

It also have a lot of other useful functions and customization options for tabs.
    Last edited by puppygod; 15 Sep 2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added link

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Clayton_e View post

No. Why would it? Even in the best scenario, it would take minutes to do and the consolidation would likely be a horrid mess.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by srzss05 View post
    No. Why would it? Even in the best scenario, it would take minutes to do and the consolidation would likely be a horrid mess.
    1. The people above you have already shown your statement is false.

2. Moving a tab from window to another is instantaneous on Firefox, at least.

3. But Firefox is going to be just as slow with all your tabs in one window as it is with them in separate ones. The OP likely doesn't have enough memory to handle that many tabs, and the computer is having to swap out some of it to the hard drive. RAM is much faster than a hard drive.

Quote Originally posted by puppygod View post
    I have very good experience with Tab Mix Plus add-on for Firefox. With it you can merge windows easily by selecting "merge windows" option from tab menu.

It also have a lot of other useful functions and customization options for tabs.
    The feature the OP may be most interested in is the ability to have multiple rows of tabs that shrink to fit in the window. Fifty-six tabs are going to need a lot of room.

The one thing I do hate is that the session saver thinks it needs to refresh all the tabs. If I saved the sessions, rather than converting the tabs to bookmarks, that means I want them to stay the same as when I left them. And if you are going to refresh, don't refresh so many at once that I lose use of the keyboard and mouse.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Or, you could Bookmark All Tabs and close a window or two.

+ Reply to thread