+ Reply to thread

Thread: Does anyone have any good, relatively easy, vegetarian recipes?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Does anyone have any good, relatively easy, vegetarian recipes?

The weekend after next my nephew (he's an adult, fwiw) is coming up to visit me, and the last time we spoke, he mentioned having become a vegetarian. One of the two nights he'll be here I've invited some other people over for dinner, and I'm kind of perplexed as to what I should make. I'm an unrepentant meat eater, and I pretty much everything I know how to make involves meat in some way. I know I could just ask him what he'd like, but it's usually a chore to get him to actually pick something.

Sp does anyone have any recipes/ideas? I'm not a cooking novice, exactly, but I'd rather it be something that isn't too labor intensive.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've done the vegetarian (and vegan) thing before and while I followed a lot of fancy vegetarian recipes in the beginning, I quickly realized how not a big deal it was and just made regular food sans meat.

Easy ones are:

Spaghetti, with meatballs cooked in a separate pan for the meat eaters.

Tacos, with vegetarian refried beans flavored the same as you would the meat. Again, you can have meat in a separate pan for others.

Stirfries are usually pretty easy to make vegetarian. If everyone is okay eating mushrooms, they help make it feel less like something is "missing." There's tofu, too, but I hate the stuff so I can't give any advice on how to use it.

Soy sauce and MSG do a lot to add that "umami" flavor that's lacking from a lot vegetarian foods. Cheese (assuming he eats it) and caramelized onions do the same thing.

I'll go through my recipes tomorrow to see if I can find some to share. I would suggest asking him what he likes, though. I've found some people can be very picky about vegetables even when they're vegetarians, which severely limits your options.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No one ever complained about vegetarian lasagna or if they did fuck them because they're defective. Add some spinach to the ricotta, take the ground beef out of the sauce, and go a little heavy on the mozzarella because the poor benighted vegetarians need some extra protein. It's almost exactly the same dish, really. And it's not something you only like if you're committed to the granola/Nader lifestyle.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fat, lazy vegetarian here.

To expand on what the others said, you can hardly go wrong with Italian cuisine. There are countless dishes that can be turned into something vegetarian with little effort and no ill effects.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quiche is another thing that's easy to make vegetarian.

If you have access to tempe (Indonesian "soybean cheese," although it is much more delicious than it sounds from that unpleasant translation), you can slice it, soak it in a bit of soy sauce, and pan-fry it in corn or peanut oil. Then make whatever meal you want, meat and all, and just serve a dish of the tempe along with everything else so that any vegetarians can have a well-rounded meal while skipping the meat course. Similarly, it's pretty quick to assemble cheese and bean quesadillas - spread some flour tortilla wrappers with refried beans, top with cheese and another wrapper, brush with a little olive oil so layers don't stick together, and repeat as needed. Heat in oven or microwave, cut into triangles, arrange on plate, and you're done.

(Oh, tempe is often available in health food stores - check the refrigerated section.)
    Last edited by Hatshepsut; 10 Sep 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Naked with head flowers threnody's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This is amazing - and easy!

2 packets froz spinach
    1 onion finely diced
    1 cup uncooked rice
    a slap of chopped feta
    half a cup of pine nuts
    a beaten egg

Mix em all up together in a bowl and pour into an oven proof dish (I use a cake tin). Bake for 45 mins. Serve.

Thank thren because it's so so so good.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by threnody View post

2 packets froz spinach
    1 onion finely diced
    1 cup uncooked rice
    a slap of chopped feta
    half a cup of pine nuts
    a beaten egg

Mix em all up together in a bowl and pour into an oven proof dish (I use a cake tin). Bake for 45 mins. Serve.

That sounds fantastic!

Registered
    Mar 2009

2 packets froz spinach
    1 onion finely diced
    1 cup uncooked rice
    a slap of chopped feta
    half a cup of pine nuts
    a beaten egg

That does sound good. What I like is the fact that the copious liquid from the frozen spinach is being used to cook the rice, so you don't lose that nutrition. Brilliant.

Thank you, thren.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sleeps w/Butterflies View post
    That sounds fantastic!
    Quote Originally posted by CairoCarol View post
    That does sound good. What I like is the fact that the copious liquid from the frozen spinach is being used to cook the rice, so you don't lose that nutrition. Brilliant.

Thank you, thren.
    Aw that's guys - it's really really good. Oh I forgot to add garlic. But add garlic to your taste. I always make it when we have a bbq, as it's nice to have a hot vegetable dish as well as a summer salad. I have a bajillion of these vege recipes. I'm off to drink wine soon, but I'll add some more in the near future

Registered
    Mar 2009

Cairo Carol, I just came back from 2 weeks in Indonesia (got back just before the earthquake). I lived on Gado Gado. OMG so good.

Registered
    Sep 2009

2 packets froz spinach
    1 onion finely diced
    1 cup uncooked rice
    a slap of chopped feta
    half a cup of pine nuts
    a beaten egg
    That sounds really good. Maybe I am totally ignorant here - but how much feta constitutes a slap?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hahahaha that was supposed to be a slab... I was running out the door and typing fast. It's all to taste really. I generally put in 200-250g.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm going with Exy's suggestion. And not just because this is definitely quotable.

No one ever complained about vegetarian lasagna or if they did fuck them because they're defective
    threnody, I'll agree with everyone else that that sounds really good. I'll have to remember it for another time.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Sep 2009

This one is really easy and people rave

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...GHETTI-1204438

I vary the herb depending on what plant looks like it needs a trim--I have successfully used thyme, dill and parsley.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hahahaha that was supposed to be a slab... I was running out the door and typing fast. It's all to taste really. I generally put in 200-250g.
    Heheh, cheers. I probably could have figured that out if I had bothered to think about. I am terrible with cooking lingo and I just assumed 'a slap' was some special cheese-measure used by cheese experts .

Banned
    Registered
    Sep 2009

not to be a disservice but i always include at least a bit of fish

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How is that vegetarian then?
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Here's another favourite, and super easy and healthy.

1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
    a handful of mushrooms
    a punnet of cherry tomatoes
    a slab of haloumi cut into blocks (because it keeps its shape when cooked)
    red capsicum cut into pieces
    green capsicum also diced into pieces
    kebab sticks
    olive oil
    lemon juice
    garlic
    cracked black pepper

Lightly steam the capsicum and zucchini pieces. Remove from heat and then just thread everything onto a skewer, I usually go:

cherry tomato
    haloumi
    capsicum
    capsicum
    mushroom
    zucchini

repeated twice on a skewer and finished with a cherry tomato.

Now
    Combine a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and black pepper and brush the kebabs with it. Place them on hot bbq and give them about 2 mins each side, brushing them with the dressing.

Serve. Eat. Die of haloumi happiness. Thank thren.

I actually made these last week and they looked so good I took photos of, that I'll post to my blog soon. Not fancy but super easy and healthy.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Cairo Carol, I just came back from 2 weeks in Indonesia (got back just before the earthquake). I lived on Gado Gado. OMG so good.
    Yes, gado-gado is one of those perfect foods - simultaneously delicious and nutritious and pretty to look at. (And vegetarian! And cheap! And easy!)

No Ordinary Rabbit Count Blucher's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Would you consider salsa & chips as an appetizer before dinner?

2 fresh tomatoes
    4 cans diced tomatoes
    2 cloves garlic
    4 onions
    2 (you can use less, but don't use more) habaneros
    1/8 cup virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup red wine
    4 tablespoons spoons tarragon vinegar
    2 cans of canned pineapple (not the ones canned in Splenda)
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tsp. salt
    1 big mixing bowl
    1 chopper/blender/food processor
    Tupperware to store it in after (its a good sized batch)

Into mixing bowl put the diced tomatoes, wine, vinegar, salt sugar, paprika, and olive oil. Stir up the batch until its all fully mixed together.

Into the chopper place the habaneros, 1/4 of one onion, and the pineapple chunks/slices. (Note: pour the juice from the pineapple cans into the mixing bowl)
    Chop it all up and spoon the contents into the mixing bowl. Stir the contents of the mixing bowl until everything is evenly distributed.

Next, cut the rest of the onions up into round onion patties.
    Fry them under medium to low heat until they are mostly caramelized, flipping them like burgers as needed.
    Once they are done, put them on a plate and use a pizza cutter to cut the patties into 8ths or 16ths (as best you can)
    add these to the mixing bowl and stir until fully distributed (the onions should break apart into various sized pieces and almost disappear into the salsa)

Now, put a small bit in a bowl and taste. If its too hot, you are going to need to add sugar or more fruit to the mix until the heat is at the level you like. Do this in small increments; you don't want to bury the salsa in too much sugar. Once it is just right, put the results into the Tupperware containers & refrigerate until the dinner.

It goes well with chips and cold white wine, but you can also substitute 1-2 day old bread for the chips. My only warning is to watch serving it too far out ahead of dinner, as it is very easy to fill up on.

No Ordinary Rabbit Count Blucher's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

edited to add: the fresh tomatos! Quarter them and then slice them like like 'chips'. When storing, put 1/2 the batch in the tupperware, then add a level of tomato 'chips', then pour the rest on top and then cover the top of the salsa with the rest of the tomato 'chips'.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Good idea, Count. It's a simple, tasty thing that isn't hurt by a lack of meat.

Registered
    Apr 2009

By request from chat, here are a couple of mine:

Spinach Paneer

500g young leaf spinach
    250-300g paneer
    handful of black mustard seed
    approx 1.5 table spoons of vegetable oil
    1.5 teaspoons of dhaana jeera
    0.5 teaspoon tumeric
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    salt, chilli to taste
    1 small potato, peeled, and cut into small cubes.

Method:

Preheat oven to approx 200C.

Chop the spinach roughly and boil in salted water for approx 10-15 minutes till cooked and soft.

In a pan, heat the vegetable oil, and throw in the mustard seeds. These will pop.

In a small plate, mix the tomato puree, tumeric, salt, chilli and dhaana jeera. Add this to the pan, and stir rapidly, mixing everthing together.

Add the potatoes, making sure that they're covered in the sauce, then add the drained spinach, and paneer. Stir thoroughly so that everything is covered in the sauce, adding a tiny bit of water if neccesary.

Place pan in oven, uncovered, until potatoes are cooked. Serve with naan/chappatis/crusty bread.

Dhaana jeera is a spice mix made up of coriander seeds and cumin - ground together in roughly a 50:50 proportion. However, I've found that coriander seeds are notoriously difficult to find, and dhaana jeera is easier to obtain - I think major supermarkets may well do it now, or your local Indian store will definitely do it. At a push, you can replace the dhaana jeera and tumeric with curry powder, but IMO, its not nearly as good.

And vegetable pillau

For 2

1 cup rice
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
    A couple of good sized handfuls of fresh peas
    One pack baby sweetcorn
    2 cups of water (same size as the cup you've used to measure the rice)
    Some cumin, peppercorns, cloves, a couple of cardamom pods, and some cinnamon
    A good handful of cashew nuts
    A bit of saffron
    1 onion, finely chopped
    Tablespoon of vegetable oil
    Salt and chilli to taste.

Method:

Preheat oven to gas mark 3

Soak the rice for about 15 minutes to get rid of any excess starch.

Soak the cumin, peppercorns, cloves, cardamom pods, and cinnamon in a cup of water.

In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil and fry the onion till caramelised. Add the potatoes and cook for a couple of minutes.

Add the cup of water containing the spices, and cover the pan for thirty-ish seconds to allow some steam to build up.

Drain the rice, and add the rice, along with a second cup of water, salt, and chilli and saffron. Stir everything together, and then add the other vegetables, stir together, and cook on the hob for 10 minutes. Then, cover pan, and put into oven.

On the hob, heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan. Fry the cashews till golden brown.

The pillau should take about half to three quarters of an hour to cook in the oven - it should be stirred at least once during cooking. When the rice is almost done, add the cashew nuts and allow to complete cooking.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Oh, and because I totally forgot, you should prepare the paneer first by cutting it into cubes and frying it with some chopped green chilis till its golden brown...

Registered
    Jul 2009

This is really simple to make and tastes amazing. I could probably live on this recipe for a long while without getting tired of it.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...oa-recipe.html

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Here's a simple vegetarian (not vegan), recipe that is as delicious as it is easy to prepare:

Mediterranean Delight
    Vegetarian Pita Sandwich

Preparation Time: 15 minutes or less
    Serves: 4 to 6 people

Ingredients:
    ½ to 1 pound French or Bulgarian feta cheese
    1 loaf Pita bread
    2-4 Ripe tomatoes (salad variety is best)
    1 Large red onion (do not substitute)
    1 Cucumber
    1 Head lettuce

Optional:
    ¼-½ Cup pitted kalamata olives
    Zatar or Paprika
    Olive Oil

Preparation:
    Wash all vegetables and drain the feta cheese if it has been stored in brine. In an oven preheated to 200°F (100°C), warm the pita bread for 10–15 minutes after wrapping it in foil. Pita can also be heated in a plastic bag using a microwave. Add a few drops of water to help soften the bread then seal the bag and microwave on high for 1–2 minutes. Adding a few drops of water is also beneficial for warming in regular ovens. For best results, cut the pitas in half before pre-heating. This will make them easier to open afterwards.

For an attractive presentation, peel the cucumber while leaving alternating longitudinal stripes of rind in place. Slice the tomatoes, feta cheese and peeled red onion. Remove the warmed bread from the oven and place it in a basket after wrapping it in a clean cloth napkin.

Presentation:
    Layer a chilled large platter with the lettuce leaves, leaving some that can be removed without disrupting the presentation. Shingle the cut tomatoes, cucumber and onion slices around the platter’s perimeter. Place the cheese slices at the center and drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle zatar or paprika over the cheese slices. Surround the feta with pitted kalamata olives. This can be assembled up to one or two hours ahead of time with the pita bread warmed just before service.

Assembly:
    Line an open pocket of warmed pita bread with a lettuce leaf. Insert the vegetables, olives and feta cheese. Consume.

Notes:
    Avoid the Athenos brand of pre-packaged feta cheese. It has all the flavor of wet chalk. If possible, purchase your feta at a local Middle Eastern market. Try to find purveyors who have large blocks of cheese immersed in brine that they then cut to order.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, that sounds delicious, Zenster. I'll have to try that the next time I'm wanting to make some nice sandwiches.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm just popping in there to page artifex. As an observant Jew, she has quite a few yummy and easy vegetarian recipes, simply because those allow her to have ice cream, or cream in her coffee, afterward.

Sweetheart, tell them about that chickpea curry you do in the slow cooker.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Yes, tell us, please!

Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Oh heavens, that's not a recipe, that's just throwing stuff in a pot.

I just sweat garlic, onions, and diced carrots, then I throw it in a slow cooker with some diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and chickpeas and maybe some diced potatoes or white beans if it needs to be filled out, maybe some vegetable broth if it's too tight and it's going to be in the slow cooker for a while. There's curry powder already mixed that you can buy, but I just put in cumin, turmeric, coriander, and garam masala, salt, pepper, you know. Then I just let it cook, always turns out great.

You can buy naan, but also, Sandra Lee has this recipe where she just uses pizza dough from one of those Pillsbury peel-off canisters and puts that on the grill :d&r:

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm late, and this pales; but...

Slice up a zucchini or two, and chop up an onion. Put them in a baking dish and add some salt, bread crumbs, and cream. Top with Quattro Formaggio shredded cheese and bake until the cheese is browning.
    'Never say "no" to adventure. Always say "yes". Otherwise you'll lead a very dull life.' -- Commander Caractacus Pott, R.N. (Retired)

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Johnny View post
    I'm late, and this pales; but...

Slice up a zucchini or two, and chop up an onion. Put them in a baking dish and add some salt, bread crumbs, and cream. Top with Quattro Formaggio shredded cheese and bake until the cheese is browning.
    That doesn't pale; I'd totally eat that. I'm a big zucchini fan, and I'm a fan of onions - the longer you cook them, the better.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

This is Jill's recipe. I don't think she'll mind if I post it. I can tell you, it's delicious!

Toasted Spinach Sandwiches

Ingredients
    1 (10 oz) package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    ½ cup finely chopped celery
    ¼ cup minced green onions or garlic chives
    ¼ cup low or non-fat salad dressing or mayo
    ¼ cup low or non-fat plain yogurt
    1 tsp hot sauce (the original recipe called for half that, but we found it rather bland -- add to your own taste)
    ½ tsp garlic powder
    ¼ cup finely shredded low fat havarti or Swiss cheese
    Whole grain bread
    Fat free butter flavored cooking spray

Instructions
    • Press the spinach between paper towels until barely moist.
    • Combine spinach, celery, chopped green onions or chives, salad dressing, yogurt, hot sauce & garlic powder in a medium bowl; stir well.
    • Spread mixture evenly over 4 slices of bread, sprinkle with cheese and top with remaining bread slices.
    • Brown sandwiches on a griddle coated with cooking spray.
    'Never say "no" to adventure. Always say "yes". Otherwise you'll lead a very dull life.' -- Commander Caractacus Pott, R.N. (Retired)

Registered
    Mar 2009

We do the lasagna, too, but get the protein in there by tossing in a bunch of mushed up soft tofu, which is impossible to differentiate once it mixes with the ricotta.

+ Reply to thread