+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sedentary passengers on trans-oceanic flights [Split from mini-rants]

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Guinastasia View post
    (Hey, how do I get my title back?)
    I believe you should be able to change it yourself through your UCP here. Scroll down to optional information and there should be the option to enter a custom title.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Cool, thanks!
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zenster View post
    I'll confess that I really have very little interest in perpetuating this online trainwreck. This has been done entirely at someone else's behest and not my own. If it is to be continued, then I would ask that the discussion in question be expanded to include the current social phenomenon of people in public being totally withdrawn into their iPods, cellphones, noise cancelling headphones or whatever other contraption that allows them to disconnect from the real world. I'd be happy to restate the original premise in this more general format with the hope that some cogent analysis might ensue regarding what I consider to be deleterious trend in modern society.
    People are not required to entertain you. If they wish to spend their time engaged in listening to music, or reading or whatever other solo activity they wish are not being rude to you just because they are not interacting with you. Get over yourself.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's usually WHY I put my earbuds on in the first place -- I don't wish to engage in small talk (which I hate).

Especially if I have to deal with people like Zenster, who like to throw hissyfits if I don't do exactly that. (Besides, didn't your mother teach you NOT to talk to strangers?)
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm seriously thinking Zen is going to jump out and say he punked us all into thinking he's as batshit crazy as he came across. Right after a rant about how people don't jump into dance for his amusement when a good song comes on the radio.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Clayton_e View post
    I'm seriously thinking Zen is going to jump out and say he punked us all into thinking he's as batshit crazy as he came across. Right after a rant about how people don't jump into dance for his amusement when a good song comes on the radio.
    A follow-on, of sorts, to this thread can be found here.

His responses to my posts in that thread may provide some insight into the "batshit insane" thesis. As for me, I'm just ... nonplussed.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As it happens, I was on three flights in the past week. The flight from Ontario, California to Salt Lake City was on the smallest airliner I'd ever been in. (Delta Connection; I think it was an ERJ 145.)

The seats are two and two, with the aisle in the middle. I was in the window seat; my seatmate was a huge man, who couldn't help but trap me in my seat. He folded his arms and napped most of the flight. Fortunately it was only about a two-hour flight, and I didn't need to use the restroom, but if I had, it wouldn't have occurred to me that he was doing anything wrong by napping, and it wouldn't have been a big deal to tap him.

I don't like being in the middle of crowds, and often try to mentally isolate myself; that's in no way incompatible with showing basic courtesy to others. So, if I have to fly in an aisle seat with Zenster in the window seat, I may nap or zone out, but if he can muster the courage to tap on my shoulder, it'll be no trouble at all to let him pass.

(Though, unless I missed it, Zenster has not yet answered that basic question: is he talking about a person in the aisle seat? If he's talking about a passenger in the window seat, his complaint makes no sense at all.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

You know what really chaps me? Folks who make up random rules in their mind and then get aggravated when people don't follow them. That's just rude.
    Last edited by Jaglavak; 15 Sep 2009 at 01:43 PM.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jaglavak View post
    You know what really chaps me? Folks who make up random rules in their mind and then get aggravated when people don't follow them. That's just rude.
    What? You mean you don't wake yourself up every so often by some magical means to check on those around you in case they don't have fingers they can use to tap your shoulder?

YOU MONSTER!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sleeps w/Butterflies View post
    YOU MONSTER!
    Well yeah..... but I find that the claws and fangs rarely get in anyone's way.

Registered
    Jul 2009

This episode of Plane Dad kind of just fizzled out. Though I'm happy to see the writers deal with passive aggressiveness as a subject, the first season was much better, dealing as it did with themes like obsessiveness, histrionics, and displays of bravado and over-tht-top machismo. There was at least closure to those stories.

Still, it had its moments and I'll be sure to watch the next episode.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Default Sedentary passengers on trans-oceanic flights

Wait, were you the one with the headphones or the guy spewing bitch all over the window seat, I only ask since it seems both passengers in the OP were pretty sedentary.
    Last edited by Revs; 27 Sep 2009 at 10:21 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I fly regularly and am delighted when fellow travellers sit quietly. :smile:
    I myself try to settle into a calm concentrative state (e.g. by doing Sudoko puzzles).

If anyone needs to get past anyone else, they use the courteous "Excuse me, may I come out?" or "Sorry to bother you - can I get past?"

Demanding people regularly interrupt their relaxation just in case they are seated next to some wally (who confuses voluntary muteness with civility) is silly.
    My motto is "Never apologise, never explain."

Sorry, I should say that I got that from Colin Hoult...

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Quote Originally posted by Zenster View post
    airline crews have more than once singled me out for free upgrades due to my helpfulness on board and on the ground
    Zenster, you would be a lot less agitated if, rather than sitting in your seat fretting about the pulse of the person beside you, you simply come out of the closet and admit that you always wanted to be a flight attendant. You might enjoy some of the smaller planes (e.g. a Pilatus PC-12) in which the last passenger in the back gets to serve the sandwiches and drinks from the cooler to everyone else.

Alternatively, the next time you start fretting because your seat mate is not animated enough for you, just pee on his or her leg. That should get things moving.

+ Reply to thread