+ Reply to thread

Thread: Referenda can fuck off.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Referenda can fuck off.

We in Ireland had a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty a while back to which we voted no. Unlike our non-democratic European brothers and sisters in the other EU states the citizens of this fine Republic get to vote on changes to our constitution. We voted "NO" to adopting the treaty and now we have to have another vote because "NO" was obviously the wrong answer.
    This isn't the first time this has happened. A similar treaty was rejected by our voters before until we were told to think again. What the fuck sort of democracy forces its people to make the "right" choice. Fuck you Biffo. fuck you Fianna Fáil, fuck you the powers that be in Brussels et al. I don't care if this treaty is good for the people of Ireland, they've already voted on it and said no and that should be good enough.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

So you don't think the referendum makers should be able to go away after hearing the people's choice, re-adapt their proposal and try to push the idea again?

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's the same proposal being pushed forward.

The MEPs have already said that they will continue to have referendums until they get the answer they want. If the people say "No", then they are wrong and will be asked again until they give the correct answer.

And yes, that occured in a live interview with an MEP.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I may have my history wrong, but wasn't it William M. Tweed of Tammany Hall who said that you had to just keep recounting the votes until they came out right? I just guessed it was the big guy, but the actual quote could even be attributed to a newspaper at the time.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    It's the same proposal being pushed forward.
    In that case, you tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Are they revoting it every other month? I mean, how often can they bring it out for a vote before the populace votes them out and more respectful people in?
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ireland is to be congratulated on rejecting the EUSSR treaty. The convenience of having a single currency (i.e., the Euro), is far outweighed by the eradication of national identities and general loss of sovereignty implicit in the EU's overall charter.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That's the funny thing about how Ireland is framed with regard to the Lisbon Treaty and the EU. We like being Europeans, we like the status quo by and large of the EU. Pushing through changes in the EU without the consent of its citizens is heinous and then ignoring the will of the only citizens who actually get to vote properly on the matter is doubly so. I like being European, using the Euro but I hate our nation being treated like an errant child because we have the gall to actually vote something down.

+ Reply to thread