+ Reply to thread

Thread: Let's post terrifying commercials

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Let's post terrifying commercials

Here's an old that seems designed to instill pantswetting terror in children. I just watched it again to link it here and even knowing what was coming, I still jumped / screamed.

Here is a AIDS PSA from Australia, aired in 1987. Don't watch this before you go to bed. I am not kidding.

My friend and I were on vacation in Ireland a couple of years ago when we saw this. After a few seconds of stunned horror we turned to each other and said in unison, "They don't fuck around!"
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I thought the last one was very good. I know a couple of people who should probably watch it.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Geez. I think that Irish one has traumatized me for life. I've never had a PSA actually make me shudder and tear up before.

To cleanse your palates from the death and horror, a commercial that's horrifying for entirely different reasons. Well, maybe it isn't terrifying to anyone else. Kids. Surprise pregnancy. ::shudder::
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene View post
    Here is a AIDS PSA from Australia, aired in 1987. Don't watch this before you go to bed. I am not kidding.
    This one is disturbing in a different way. (NSFW)

Registered
    Feb 2009

This is the one I thought of immediately:

Oh, yeah, and
    Last edited by Baldwin; 06 Sep 2009 at 08:39 PM.

We need some comic relief after that Irish one. Staplerfahrer Klaus: An "instructional video," not a commercial. In German, but you'll get the gist of it. Watch the whole thing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    Here is a genuinely disturbing AIDS PSA from Australia, aired in 1987. Don't watch this before you go to bed. I am not kidding.
    Okay, somebody please tell me I'm not the only person that cracked up laughing from the over-the-topness of that one.

I am horrified by
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy View post
    JESUS CHRIST
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Magnificent Frigatebird View post
    We need some comic relief after that Irish one. Staplerfahrer Klaus: An "instructional video," not a commercial. In German, but you'll get the gist of it. Watch the whole thing.

Holy friggin' Jesus this was fantastic. If the German part of it makes you think it's not a good investment of your time you're missing out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Magnificent Frigatebird View post
    In German, but you'll get the gist of it. Watch the whole thing.
    The only thing you need to know is that the narrator plays it completely straight. Actually you wonder whether he was in on it.
    (And to Germans he is a very recognizable voice actor from decades of driving PSAs)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Here are some

Registered
    Mar 2009

Gah, that Smokey the Bear one flipped me out. Could someone spoil for me what happens in the AIDS one, before I watch it and get nightmares?
    We are human after all...

AKA meenie7

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

On a lighter note, my husband snapped this photo of a poster at his hotel for a band playing in Ho Chi Min City.

scary band

That's pretty frightening too.
    Last edited by Hatshepsut; 14 Sep 2009 at 04:18 AM.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Um, I sort of belatedly realize that I just added a still poster to a thread about commercials.

I know it was wrong, but Baby Laugh-A-Lot told me to do it. I do whatever Baby Laugh-A-Lot tells me to do.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CairoCarol View post
    Um, I sort of belatedly realize that I just added a still poster to a thread about commercials.

I know it was wrong, but Baby Laugh-A-Lot told me to do it. I do whatever Baby Laugh-A-Lot tells me to do.
    If you don't, Baby Laugh-A-Lot might think you into the cornfield.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Here are some ads from a series by the

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by An Gadaí View post
    So sad.

Really terrifying too.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Whoa, these are creepy.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali View post
    So sad.

Really terrifying too.
    Yep, and it worked. The Troubles ended.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Anti-smoking ad from Singapore

Registered
    Mar 2009

I just saw this one the other night. (At 3 AM, of course. Bad time to be viewing such things anyways.)

It's horrifying and relentless. It's a four minute video, and there's no mercy cut. There's the accident done by about 90 seconds into the video, and the rest is all just watching as the rescue workers try to get the driver out, and she's seeing the cost of her actions. It's absolutely relentless.

I hope it works on the target audience. Back in 2007 an SUV with five recent graduates from a local HS were in a head-on collision with a semi-truck. The accident was forceful enough that it shattered the gas tank on the SUV and it burned everything to ashes. The truck driver was the only survivor - all five girls were killed. What no one is willing to talk about these days is that the investigation found that the driver's cell phone was exchanging text messages at "approximately the same time as the accident." And by approximately we're talking a time stamp within a minute of the first 911 call.

I get annoyed when I see people texting and driving. Very annoyed. I have even seen a bus driver doing it.

I hope this video is seen by many people.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    I just saw this one the other night. (At 3 AM, of course. Bad time to be viewing such things anyways.)

It's horrifying and relentless. It's a four minute video, and there's no mercy cut. There's the accident done by about 90 seconds into the video, and the rest is all just watching as the rescue workers try to get the driver out, and she's seeing the cost of her actions. It's absolutely relentless.

I hope it works on the target audience. Back in 2007 an SUV with five recent graduates from a local HS were in a head-on collision with a semi-truck. The accident was forceful enough that it shattered the gas tank on the SUV and it burned everything to ashes. The truck driver was the only survivor - all five girls were killed. What no one is willing to talk about these days is that the investigation found that the driver's cell phone was exchanging text messages at "approximately the same time as the accident." And by approximately we're talking a time stamp within a minute of the first 911 call.

I get annoyed when I see people texting and driving. Very annoyed. I have even seen a bus driver doing it.

I hope this video is seen by many people.

"Darwinnowing" they call it don't they? Texting and driving is about the most dangerously stupid thing the average person could do and if they need a gruesome PSA to tell them that then there's no hope for them anyway. Here's a similar Irish one.

Registered
    Mar 2009

OOOps it appears the ad I just posted was also in the OP. My bad as they say.
    Here's another scarifying one.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Do Irish kids have a thing about swimming in junkyard cesspools? That was one fucked up PSA.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Revs View post
    Do Irish kids have a thing about swimming in junkyard cesspools? That was one fucked up PSA.
    Well it's a British ad but here it is common for kids to swim in canals when it gets hot, canals are full of junk like shopping trolleys etc. Not so much junkyard cesspools though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by An Gadaí View post
    OOOps it appears the ad I just posted was also in the OP. My bad as they say.
    Here's another scarifying one.

Noooo Donald Pleasence, leave those children alone!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Revs View post
    I don't know about Irish kids, but it's distressingly common for kids in the US to swim in old abandoned mine quarries - in spite of the dangers of toxins in the water, uneven depths, and the fact that other idiots often use such quarries as dumping grounds.

Registered
    Mar 2009

David Icke is having palpitations.

+ Reply to thread