+ Reply to thread

Thread: Kmart and ammo

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Kmart and ammo

I just had a Bowling from Columbine flashback and realized I didn't know how the Kmart thing turned out. Did they stop selling ammunition? Are they still not selling it?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Kmart and ammo

They don't sell handgun ammunition, but they still sell rifle and shotgun ammo. Which is stupid, since you can purchase both a handgun that shoots rifle caliber ammo and a rifle that shoots handgun caliber ammo, but you have to appease the morons somehow I suppose. Well, if you feel the need to appease them at all.

You can still buy most kinds of ammo at Wal-Mart, who has a much bigger market presence these days anyway.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't know much about guns - I'm a European who hasn't been in the military - so excuse me if this is a dumb question. If some handguns fire rifle ammunition and some rifles fire handgun ammunition, what quality about handgun ammunition makes it handgun and what quality about rifle ammunition makes it rifle?

Registered
    May 2009

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin
    I don't know much about guns - I'm a European who hasn't been in the military - so excuse me if this is a dumb question. If some handguns fire rifle ammunition and some rifles fire handgun ammunition, what quality about handgun ammunition makes it handgun and what quality about rifle ammunition makes it rifle?
    I like the idea that Europeans think all Americans know all about guns. I'm not trying to be snarky, I seriously just read that and thought it was funny. Like you all think we're packing over here.
    This tastes like the circus smells.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Most Europeans (OK, Western Europeans) who haven't been in the military, police or similar, are not that likely to have even seen a gun close up. On your side of the pond, it's my impression that they're a lot more common, and that knowledge of guns is considered a whole lot more mainstream than it is here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nothing really besides having common platforms that are normally used to chamber the round. For example, the .44 magnum cartridge is most commonly found in a 5 or 6 shot revolver and most people would classify it as a handgun round. However you can also purchase lever action carbine rifles that also fire .44 mag, so then it is also a rifle round. It's kind of stupid to make an assumption on what type of firearm the end user is going to use to fire an ammo purchase with.

An even better example is the .22 long rifle round. If it exists as a firearm, there's one that is chambered for .22. Since it's got "rifle" in the name KMart sells it, but as any gun owner can tell you it's an insanely popular handgun round as well.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It varies (and IANAFE, by any stretch of the imagination, so this may not be 100%), but in general, rifle ammunition has more power behind it that handgun ammunition. Handguns are close range weapons, with an effective range of a few meters to tens of meters, while a rifle has an effective range of tens to hundreds (and in some cases, over a thousand) meters.

.22 caliber ammunition can commonly be swapped between rifles and handguns, but a .22 bullet is pretty wimpy, and you have to hit somebody (or an animal) in a vital area if you want to drop them in a hurry. More powerful ammo can be swapped around, but there's a bit of a trade-off if you do this. Putting handgun ammo in a rifle can impact the range and/or stopping power (severely, in some cases), sticking rifle ammo in a handgun can cause the gun to kick like a mule, which can cause you to miss your target (but if you manage to hit it, odds are its going down).
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Most Europeans (OK, Western Europeans) who haven't been in the military, police or similar, are not that likely to have even seen a gun close up. On your side of the pond, it's my impression that they're a lot more common, and that knowledge of guns is considered a whole lot more mainstream than it is here.
    It is more mainstream, I would say, in the sense that there are a lot of gun hobbyists, and most people wouldn't think it was particularly strange to have that as an interest. On the other hand, there are a whole lot of people who have never been anywhere near a gun, and who would never think to do so. Most of the people I know I think fall in this category.

This could be an interesting thread in itself!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Does anybody make a rifle or carbine that takes .45ACP? There are none that I know of, so that would make .45ACP strictly a handgun cartridge.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus View post
    Does anybody make a rifle or carbine that takes .45ACP? There are none that I know of, so that would make .45ACP strictly a handgun cartridge.
    I don't think there is a current production 45 rifle, but there are more than a few Marlin Camp .45's floating around out there that can eat .45 ACP

Registered
    Mar 2009

If the caliber exists then chances are someone has made an AR15 that will shoot it.
    Last edited by Amp; 07 Sep 2009 at 10:52 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Kmart is still around? I can't remember ever seeing one in several years.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I had to check the store locator. OK, they're still around, but I'd have to drive 30 miles and hunt one down. Redwood City, Hayward, San Leandro, Scotts Valley. Carry on.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Doesn't the tommy gun use .45ACP? They're still in production.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Mar 2009

It isn't the ammunition that makes a hand gun or a rifle. It is the design of the weapon.

Generally length of the barrel.
    No job is too hard for the person who does not have to do it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

There is Beretta CX4, offered in various pistol calibers including .45. And Heckler und Koch made USC carbine, basically civilian semi-auto version of UMP .45 machine pistol, with non-folding butt-stock and longer barrel. And I've seen some SMLE based .45 rifles, but I'm not sure if they are still produced.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin View post
    .....what quality about rifle ammunition makes it rifle?
    Generally, kinetic energy. Which is determined by muzzle velocity and bullet weight.

Examples:
    A .30-06 flings a 150 grain bullet at about 3000 feet per second.
    1/2 M V^2 = 0.5 * [(150/7000)/32.2] * (3000)^2 = 2995 ft lbf

A .45 Auto shoots a 165 grain bullet at about 1200 feet per second.
    1/2 M V^2 = 0.5 * [(165/7000)/32.2] * (1200)^2 = 527 ft lbf

If you shoot a handgun that is chambered for a rifle round, you damn better brace yourself and hang on with both hands.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Another factor is that I believe that most rifle rounds are spitzer type rounds while most pistol rounds are more rounded. There is an image in the wikipedia article I've linked that shows the difference I'm talking about.

Registered
    May 2011

Default Response to POST #9 silenus

YES there are Rifle Manufacturers that use the .45ACP Round!! GOOGLE is you friend.

Check this one out!! http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08...fense-shotgun/

+ Reply to thread