+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chat has become weirdly slow

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Chat has become weirdly slow

I want to apologize for the tone of my post #7. It was out of line.

I stand by all the other posts I made pointing out how McNutty was wrong about the other thingie, though.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have no idea what may be causing this, but chat has been blissfully lag free for me this morning. This may be a passing thing, so I will post if it starts up again.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    I have no idea what may be causing this, but chat has been blissfully lag free for me this morning. This may be a passing thing, so I will post if it starts up again.
    Yeah this.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No change for me since Friday - maybe this problem has cleared up for good?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If it acts up again for more than a few hours, we'll try the drastic but reversible step of returning to vanilla php AJAX Chat and see if that helps or not. If it does not help, I think it will point to a fatal flaw in the abandoned spaghetti code that Ajax Chat appears to be. Though I am still suspicious of network issues beyond our control playing havoc with the chat code as the problems are so inconsistent, even between the heaviest users of chat.

I have not seen any good alternate chat solutions that integrate into the board. If anyone sees them, please post them here.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have been noticing that on occasion, arbitrary HTTP requests to the board take a long time -- like 30 seconds just for viewing a thread or something. Most likely this is simply a result of more PHP requests coming in than we're configured to handle simultaneously, forcing some to wait. This is a minor annoyance when browsing the board (and it gets more and more annoying the more traffic the board gets -- the right solution will be to move to a server with more RAM so we can handle more requests simultaneously), but due to the way chat is written, if it happens on one of the "/forum/chat.php" requests that updates the message window, the whole chat interface becomes unresponsive. It's happened to me in chat a couple of times and it's very annoying.

Since two-thirds of the requests to the server now consist of browsers checking for new chat messages every 7 seconds, you could say that at least some of chat's performance problems are caused by ... chat.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Chat got busy just now, and the Update function took 22 seconds to free up.

Registered
    Jul 2009

Laggy last night and today for me.

+ Reply to thread