+ Reply to thread

Thread: Schumacher Back in Formula 1

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Schumacher Back in Formula 1

Well, it looks like Ferrari went out and found someone to take over from Massa while he recovers. It looks like Michael Schumacher is going to be back in Formula One after all.

Story here

He may be 40, but he still has more skill than most on the track, but whether he is physically up to it is another thing. The tussle between him and the newest crop of drivers could be good though.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Schumacher Back in Formula 1

At risk of sounding ignorant (which I am), is 40 old for a Formula 1 driver?
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, 40 is usually past retirement for a Formula 1 driver, at which point some of them go and play in Indycar. :wink:

This is probably more interesting than Lance Armstrong deciding to race in the Tour de France again.

Schumacher is a 7 time champion and holds multiple points records as well. A lot of the younger racers, Hamilton, Button, Vettel would love to outrace him despite the age gap.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I for one welcome Schumacher back to the Ferrari stable. Even at 40, I have no doubt he's a match for most of the young bucks on the F1 circuit right now. For that matter, if Phil Hill wanted to come out of retirement and race for Ferrari again, I'd be all for that too, but that's just me and my old school values.
    Hell is other people.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

OK, hopefully this isn't too much of a hijack, but why is Formula One different in this regard? Is it just more physically demanding? Does added experience not make up for lost reflexes as drivers near, or pass 40?
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    OK, hopefully this isn't too much of a hijack, but why is Formula One different in this regard? Is it just more physically demanding? Does added experience not make up for lost reflexes as drivers near, or pass 40?
    Different to what? There are not thaat many over 40 sportsmen in very physically demanding sports.

Schumacher is probably physically fit enough, but it is not the reflexes as much as the physical conditioning needed to drive in F1. The major strain is on the head and neck muscles keeping them straight for the race through all the Gs the cars throw.

+ Reply to thread