+ Reply to thread

Thread: I got warned at the Dope!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default I got warned at the Dope!

Not complainin', just braggin'.

Maybe the dumbest warning evah, tho. Someone accused Marley23 of playing dumb, followed by a number of posts in which Marley revealed layers of dumbth I hadn't known existed, followed by me posting "See? He isn't playing." Followed by warning.

Like Fenris, I could argue that I'd pretty well rules-lawyered this one, that I wasn't insulting Marley technically but actually defending him against the charge of playing dumb, bbbyyy, but it's not realy worth the trouble, plus which it won't get me anyplace I want to be except maybe warned again, this time for mopery, wisecracking, and hanging around the store without the intention of actually buying anything.

What a bunch of lame-o losers they are. link With all the shit and snark and animosity flying around in that thread, I'm like all "Lady Spy gats locked in room with bomb, who gats blon up? Me," as Boris Badenov used to say.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: I got warned at the Dope!

If Skippy gives tom a warning for insults, I'll drink apple juice out of Jim's shoe.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Surely tom's got to be on his way out. It's become obvious to everyone that he can't differentiate properly between posting as a mod, and posting as a regular user. Even the admins there must realise this, by now, surely?
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by prr
    Not complainin', just braggin'.

Maybe the dumbest warning evah, tho. Someone accused Marley23 of playing dumb, followed by a number of posts in which Marley revealed layers of dumbth I hadn't known existed, followed by me posting "See? He isn't playing." Followed by warning.

Like Fenris, I could argue that I'd pretty well rules-lawyered this one, that I wasn't insulting Marley technically but actually defending him against the charge of playing dumb, bbbyyy, but it's not realy worth the trouble, plus which it won't get me anyplace I want to be except maybe warned again, this time for mopery, wisecracking, and hanging around the store without the intention of actually buying anything.

What a bunch of lame-o losers they are. link With all the shit and snark and animosity flying around in that thread, I'm like all "Lady Spy gats locked in room with bomb, who gats blon up? Me," as Boris Badenov used to say.
    Say... didn't you report my post over at the dope? I knew you sounded familiar! Bastage!

No worries. Enjoy your warning.

Quote Originally posted by CRSP
    Surely tom's got to be on his way out. It's become obvious to everyone that he can't differentiate properly between posting as a mod, and posting as a regular user. Even the admins there must realise this, by now, surely?
    You'd think, which is why I doubt it. He's been singled out much lately for his interesting decisions in GD, causing his name to appear more than once in ATMB questioning his moderation. He does do a good job of hiding behind the moderator skirt when things get hairy for him. But they are still circling the wagons for him, so he'll quit on his own terms.

Lots of anger flying around. I didn't even know what the snarkpit was until today. WTF? It's a messageboard!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by beebs
    ... I'll drink apple juice out of Jim's shoe.
    You sure have some strange hobbies...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Enjoy! Oddly, I didn't get my first warning until after my first banning (which I think happened because Ed Zotti is a cuntlapper; it's a little vague now).

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It does seem odd that they allow him to continue unchecked. He is the only Mod that regularly causes any trouble as a mod and consistently blurs the line between poster/mod.

For PRR to be warned and Tom to think it was fine to call Fenris' post BS is mind boggling.

Registered
    Mar 2009

No--I gotta disagree. By their (incredibly stupid) rules, saying that my post is bullshit is completely legit. It's a dumbass rule, because who posts bullshit posts? A bullshitter! They can't/won't make that leap. The only thing you can't call a post is a lie, and then that sub-rule only applies in GD and only if you're not one of the "special" posters.

But we'll see what happens now that I called one of Tom's posts "idiotic bullshit"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Tom used to be okay as a poster--he was in some ways the essence of what I liked about the Dope. I didn't share any of his core beliefs, certainly not about religion,but I felt he was informed, concise, he engaged in argument, he stayed close to the topic, and he usually taught me something I hadn't known before.

But when they made him a Mod, he started tossing his weight around--he would get into fights (most memorably for me, about religion) and start warning people whom he was engaged in hot debate with (like badchad, who I actually thought was a disagreeable little prick, but who I felt obliged to defend because he was no more so than some of his adversaries on the pro-religion side) and eventually banning some of them--totally inappropriate, conflict of interests, blurring of lines between mod and poster, all of that. I went off the rails at some point, after Tom has rebutted each of my complaints against him (as is his wont--never concede anything, never admit to wrongdoing, never budge an inch, which is admirable in a poster sometimes, but rarely in a Mod, especially in a Mod who's made some errors in judgment). I issued a general complaint about his inappropriate Modding, something like "I ain't providing specifics, but Tom generally is a biased and officious Mod who tries to shape debate rather than moderate it," and he naturally got all over me for failing to provide cites. I was no longer, and am still not, interested in arguing the point at tedious length with him --his bias is obvious to anyone with eyes and to no one without eyes.

Marley on the other hand is simply a power-mad brat. I often think of a five-year-old in a go-cart driving out into traffic with the big boys, only the five-year-old has a loaded pistol that he points at other drivers to establish his authoritah.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Fenris
    No--I gotta disagree. By their (incredibly stupid) rules, saying that my post is bullshit is completely legit. It's a dumbass rule, because who posts bullshit posts? A bullshitter! They can't/won't make that leap. The only thing you can't call a post is a lie, and then that sub-rule only applies in GD and only if you're not one of the "special" posters.

But we'll see what happens now that I called one of Tom's posts "idiotic bullshit"
    Well their rules are clearly contradictory, then. If calling someone's posts "lies" is actually an insult to them personally, then so is calling their posts "bullshit". Especially given that "that's a lie" and "that's bullshit" mean almost exactly the same thing.

Of course the crazy, mock-lawyerly way they construe "insult" has always been fucking ridiculous.

Registered
    Feb 2009

They won't even admit there is a separate set of rules for Liberal.

And don't call me Shirley.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibur
    Well their rules are clearly contradictory, then. If calling someone's posts "lies" is actually an insult to them personally, then so is calling their posts "bullshit". Especially given that "that's a lie" and "that's bullshit" mean almost exactly the same thing.
    Oddly enough, I just read a quite long but interesting essay on the difference between lies and bullshit, the money quote being:

Someone who lies and someone who tells the truth are playing on
    opposite sides, so to speak, in the same game. Each responds to the
    facts as he understands them, although the response of the one is
    guided by the authority of the truth, while the response of the other
    defies that authority and refuses to meet its demands. The bullshitter
    ignores these demands altogether. He does not reject the authority of
    the truth, as the liar does, and oppose himself to it. He pays no
    attention to it at all. By virtue of this, bullshit is a greater enemy
    of the truth than lies are.
    By this standard, I'd say that tomndebb and Marley are liars, and Lib is a bullshitter.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by SmartAleq
    By this standard, I'd say that tomndebb and Marley are liars, and Lib is a bullshitter.
    Heh, I actually read that book.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Me, too. Maybe we have a discussion group.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll pass, thanks, giving that much thought to the subject makes me really stabby as hell since I can't see the value in either lies OR bullshitting!
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, trolls are bullshitters?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by SmartAleq
    I'll pass, thanks, giving that much thought to the subject makes me really stabby as hell since I can't see the value in either lies OR bullshitting!
    I can admire a good bullshitter if he admits that he's bullshitting. Just don't be peein' on my hat and telling me it's raining.

Registered
    Mar 2009

What if it's raining on your hat and I tell you it's pee?

Registered
    Feb 2009

What if it's raining on your hat and I tell you it's pee?
    Then I'll think you have certain special needs. If you tell me you're riding the bus all by yourself, I'll say, "Good for you!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibur

Of course the crazy, mock-lawyerly way they construe "insult" has always been fucking ridiculous.
    I don't think there's anything "mock" about it. Usually, when you find a place generously littered with split hairs, you'll find a drooling lawyer wielding an Xacto Knife nearby.

It was Fenris' post that made me think this. I imagine Li'l Ed receiving lawyerly lectures like: "We can no longer allow posters to say that kettles are black. It's ok if that say that the surface of the kettle appears to be black; but they may not say that the kettle is black. That could get us sued."

And so it is that contemporary corporate mentality is killing the SDMB.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by BJMoose
    Usually, when you find a place generously littered with split hairs, you'll find a drooling lawyer wielding an Xacto Knife nearby.
    A woman once stopped an argument cold by saying to me, "Would you rather split hairs, or split some hair?" If only all arguments could end that way.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Tom used to be okay as a poster--he was in some ways the essence of what I liked about the Dope. I didn't share any of his core beliefs, certainly not about religion,but I felt he was informed, concise, he engaged in argument, he stayed close to the topic, and he usually taught me something I hadn't known before.
    This is my exact thought on him. I see the reasons you have listed for not feeling that way about him anymore, and I know that lots of folks feel that way, but it has never detracted from my respect for him. Perhaps because I have never really gotten into any of those Great Debates discussions with him.

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Am I the only one starting to wonder if everyone who joined a splinter board who doesn't keep their head way down and toe the line (Otherwise known as bobbleheading, presenting their butts for kicking or their toes for tromping on.) will be banned for one manuractured reason or the other eventually?!

...That sentence up there is a masterpiece, it just keeps going, and going, doesn't it?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zabigail
    Am I the only one starting to wonder if everyone who joined a splinter board who doesn't keep their head way down and toe the line (Otherwise known as bobbleheading, presenting their butts for kicking or their toes for tromping on.) will be banned for one manuractured reason or the other eventually?!

I'm starting to suspect something of the kind, myself.
    Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zabigail
    Nah, I don't really believe that. I think the fact that 7 is an admin might have made it sweeter to them, but I really don't think they're out to get people who post at the splinter boards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Nzinga, Seated
    This is my exact thought on him. I see the reasons you have listed for not feeling that way about him anymore, and I know that lots of folks feel that way, but it has never detracted from my respect for him. Perhaps because I have never really gotten into any of those Great Debates discussions with him.

Hell, that seems to be the pattern with quite a few mods, sadly.
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't think there's anything "mock" about it. Usually, when you find a place generously littered with split hairs, you'll find a drooling lawyer wielding an Xacto Knife nearby.

It was Fenris' post that made me think this. I imagine Li'l Ed receiving lawyerly lectures like: "We can no longer allow posters to say that kettles are black. It's ok if that say that the surface of the kettle appears to be black; but they may not say that the kettle is black. That could get us sued."

Or it could simply be that Ed's an ass who reacts first and thinks later.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by sublight

Well, there is that, but he also has indicated that he has been getting "input" from folks at Creative Loofahing. I also get the feeling that threats of libel suits have been a much larger problem than they let on.

Registered
    Feb 2009

After events of the past couple of days, I must regretfully downgrade your warning from something to brag about to business as usual.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's getting easier and easier to run afoul of the mods over there. I always thought of myself as a very well-behaved poster on the Dope, but if I posted over there now with any degree of honesty, I'm sure I'd be noted/warned/banned right away, as anything I would say would almost certainly be interpreted as snark or trolling. (Look at what they did to Kimmy Gibbler, a newish poster who has contributed a lot on legal thinking to several threads in a short time).

Heck, I think featherlou is going to be next.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CairoCarol
    It's getting easier and easier to run afoul of the mods over there. I always thought of myself as a very well-behaved poster on the Dope, but if I posted over there now with any degree of honesty, I'm sure I'd be noted/warned/banned right away, as anything I would say would almost certainly be interpreted as snark or trolling. (Look at what they did to Kimmy Gibbler, a newish poster who has contributed a lot on legal thinking to several threads in a short time).

Meh, I called Tuba a delusional retard and didn't even draw a warning.

To be honest I don't think the mods over there even look at your posts if you have less than say, 700.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CairoCarol

It's entirely possible - who knows what yardstick they are using to discipline people now?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by sublight

Well, no shit. I thought everyone knew that.

And what happened to Kimmy Gibbler?
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Guinastasia
    She stole my heart is what happened.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Guinastasia
    He (not she) wrote, in a thread in which someone seemed to be seeking legal advice through a thinly veiled hypothetical, wrote:

If only there were some sort of professional "tax law knower" whom you could pay some part of these millions to help you with your situation!
    I thought that was hilarious, but it got a mod warning for snark.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That was warnable snark? Sheesh. At the risk of saying the same thing people have said so often, that would not have even been noticed except to laugh at it back in The Olde Dayes.

+ Reply to thread