+ Reply to thread

Thread: Should we create a Chat Forum? Both Chatlogs and conversations as thread starters.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Should we create a Chat Forum? Both Chatlogs and conversations as thread starters.

This came up in chat.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What Exit? Jul23 9:46:55 Meanwhile, no one is posting here on Domebo except in chat.

pepperlandgirl Jul23 9:47:52 well Jim, then that just means this community is mainly a chat community. No big, as long as we're enjoying each other's company and having good times

Fenris Jul23 9:49:34 I agree with Pepper, Jim. If that's how this board's evolved, that's cool.

Fenris Jul23 9:49:45 Y'know what I'd love? A "Chat logs" forum.

Fenris Jul23 9:50:12 Yeah, yeah, I know the Snarkers have had fun posting them, but dammit, there's some meaty-good conversation that evaporates.

Fenris Jul23 9:50:29 You'd also get a sense of continuity from it.

What Exit? Jul23 9:52:37 I wonder how we would do a chat log forum. It is an interesting concept.

pepperlandgirl Jul23 9:53:23 I agree, Fenris. It might be good to have a more dedicated thread/forum to chat conversations. On the other hand, there's a lot of dullness that goes on in here. Somebody would have to clean it all up. Unless we just regularly posted pure, unedited chat logs for people to wade through

What Exit? Jul23 9:53:47 Ask someone or a few someones to pull conversation threads out.

What Exit? Jul23 9:54:14 For instance I see an IT thread and a Dope Thread in this batch.

What Exit? Jul23 9:54:50 The Chat log should make it easier to do. But it still takes a lot of work.

What Exit? Jul23 9:55:49 -201906 chat posts should be able to generate some furum discussions.

Fenris Jul23 9:56:33 Jim, Pepper--I'd start by just posting the unedited logs: if you don't the snarkers will anyway and at least by you doing it, you have some control over their legitimacy.

Fenris Jul23 9:56:52 Beyond that, it might make sense to just cut and paste sections for discussion.

pepperlandgirl Jul23 9:58:46 yeah, that makes sense. Then anybody could go through the chat logs and C&P stuff they want for discussion purposes

What Exit? Jul23 9:58:56 A chatlogger member might prove useful. We could then post the full daily chat log as a giant post and break out interesting conversations. It might work.

pepperlandgirl Jul23 9:59:08 Fenris, if we get through IT, we should read The Stand next. I have a feeling that book drives you batshit

What Exit? Jul23 10:00:48 I would create a new member and share the password with the mod team. Then we just need to go through the daily exercise. A new forum for it sounds good but is not required.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The full chatlogs should probably be locked. They are also rather long.

Is this an interesting idea? A bad idea? Are there problems with it? Are there people willing to help with it? Not just Mods, I am also looking at the frequent chatters.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Should we create a Chat Forum? Both Chatlogs and conversations as thread starters.

I can't understand the point of this, but knock yourself out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Should we create a Chat Forum? Both Chatlogs and conversations as thread starters.

Quote Originally posted by Excalibur
    I can't understand the point of this, but knock yourself out.
    We have some good conversations that start in chat. I think these might start some interesting threads. If they take off, we can always move them to the appropriate forums once they get going.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd be interested in at least trying it. The main reason I avoid chat is that I walk in and feel as though I have no idea what's going on. being able to go back through a chat log would make me much more likely to use it.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I agree that there are discussions and debates that happen in chat at times that might be interesting to people that didn't happen to be in chat at the moment. But it does sound like a lot of work for someone.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    I agree that there are discussions and debates that happen in chat at times that might be interesting to people that didn't happen to be in chat at the moment. But it does sound like a lot of work for someone.
    Well I was hoping for a group effort on this if there was interest.

As an example, if I go into the Chat Log. I can grab out a set of posts to start a thread as Chatlogger. I just grabbed this bit very fast and only had to remove two strays from it. I could take it into Word and do some fast edits to make it look a little nicer.

14:51:19 pepperlandgirl so bagels...legit breakfast food on its own or simply the mechanism that delivers the cream cheese?
    14:52:26 Anaamika Mechanism for cream cheese i say
    14:52:46 Anaamika Bread in general is the mechanism for whatever it's holding. (I am not a bread person)
    14:53:14 What Exit? A good bagel is a legit breakfast food. Manhattan Bagels and similar generic mass produced bagels are not.
    14:54:00 pepperlandgirl I get my bagels from the bakery, and they're pretty tastey. but they always seem so...lackluster without the cheese
    14:54:17 Anaamika So What Exit you eat bagels by themselves?
    14:54:36 Anaamika I rarely eat bagels to start with. They're just so...empty. Lackluster is a good word
    14:56:04 What Exit? A good Egg, Pumpernickel or Garlic Bagel is delicious for example. Challah bread is a good example of a bread that is great without anything on it.
    14:56:16 pepperlandgirl they're not really my first choice for breakfast, but they're often the best choice
    14:56:48 Excalibur I don't like challah much. There. I said it.
    14:57:06 Excalibur A good bagel is great, but I've had plenty of bad ones. The ones that are all soft and spongey are terrible.
    14:57:18 What Exit? You don't have to like it. But I wonder if you have had a good Challah?
    14:57:29 What Exit? Exy, I agree on the bagels.
    14:57:43 Excalibur but yeah a bagel is an instrument to convey cream cheese (and hopefully lox as well) to the mouth
    14:58:13 What Exit? Challah range from incredible Mana from Heaven to bland shiny bread made by the clueless.
    14:58:37 pepperlandgirl I've never had a bagel with lox, which makes me sad, because it seems like something I would enjoy. Also, I don't know if I've ever had challah
    14:58:51 Anaamika I actually do like challah bread. One of the only ones I kind of like
    14:58:56 Excalibur I'm not sure I've had good challah, in fairness.
    15:01:08 Anaamika I like a few breads. My SO is a real bread connoisseur. One can't help but pick a few things up
    15:02:40 pepperlandgirl now that I think about it, I can't think of any bread I eat for its own sake
    15:03:09 pepperlandgirl my new favorite bread is only a fav because it delivers roast beef and sprouts to my mouth
    15:03:51 Anaamika I do eat rotis for their own sake. But that's a flatbread and non-yeast and totally a different thing
    15:05:48 pepperlandgirl when I can get to TJ's, I buy naan and eat it for its own sake--though occasionally I also buy hummus. God I miss Trader Joe's
    15:06:44 Anaamika TJ's is like three hours from here. Any of them. Still, whenever we go downstate it's a definite. Don't like naan either though!
    15:06:44 Fenris I love challah and most people haven't had real lox--they've had something that's techincally called "nova" that EVERYONE refers to as Lox.
    15:07:12 pepperlandgirl Fenris, what is the difference between lox and nova?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    But it does sound like a lot of work for someone.
    That's a good point. I think it could be an interesting idea if at least the basics work (mostly) automatically. If it requires regular editorial work, then I'm not really convinced.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This was not hard to do and a few tweaks to the chat log might make it easier:

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    I'd be interested in at least trying it. The main reason I avoid chat is that I walk in and feel as though I have no idea what's going on. being able to go back through a chat log would make me much more likely to use it.
    The thing about chat is that unless you've had the chat up for a long time, you can only scroll back through a few minute's worth of messages. People come and go all the time and subjects change to accomodate. It's like the TNP thread, just say hello and jump in.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?

Didn't McNutty say, onces upon a time, that he could change the way that the chatlogs are configured so that we would be able to open them to the board at large?

I think that would make more sense than setting up another new forum that people have to post snippets of chat into.

Also, moving the bagel discussion into JJ was a great idea. I rarely, um, never, go into chat so I think doing stuff like that is very cool. If an interesting topic comes up post something in the forums. I would hate for the boards to just become a chat room since I am not all that interested in chatting.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138
    Also, moving the bagel discussion into JJ was a great idea.
    We've had a bunch of threads specifically inspired by conversation in chat already. (Off the top of my head, the "interesting flags" thread from the other day started in chat; I know there have been several others.)

I just don't see any purpose in copy-pasting chat logs into threads (which only admins can do, so it's not something available to the rest of us) and then taking the time to attempt to format them into something readable, instead of just starting a thread. I really think it makes more sense to just tell people to start threads if they want to start threads, especially since my guess is that if it took off, and a big portion of the threads did start with snippets from chat, that it would look stupid and probably be pretty offputting to outsiders.

I just don't see any point in this at all.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Bah, a lot of people say that about chat in general.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Didn't McNutty say, onces upon a time, that he could change the way that the chatlogs are configured so that we would be able to open them to the board at large?

I think that would make more sense than setting up another new forum that people have to post snippets of chat into.

Also, moving the bagel discussion into JJ was a great idea. I rarely, um, never, go into chat so I think doing stuff like that is very cool. If an interesting topic comes up post something in the forums. I would hate for the boards to just become a chat room since I am not all that interested in chatting.
    The current chatlog puts a big hit on the server apparently. I am paraphrasing but that is what he said. If he could have it write once to the board somewhere that would be great. The main DB is more efficient apparently. The new forum was just an idea, probably not needed. But getting more chat conversations turned in threads would seem to be a good idea.

I also see an advantage in that the threads will get the non-chatters involved and as OneCent mentioned, maybe bring them occasionally into chat and that more people in chat would mean more conversations that van be turned into Ops.

I realize that the Chatlog Op can be ugly, but I like the idea of presenting the discussion with multiple POVs as opposed to a single Op's summary which will slant to their POV.

Does a special shared member (sock) for the mod team make sense for starting these?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Does a special shared member (sock) for the mod team make sense for starting these?
    Okay, I have to conclude that I'm just totally missing something here. Why is this better than simply encouraging people -- including non-modes! -- to start threads when they want to?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Also, moving the bagel discussion into JJ was a great idea.
    We've had a bunch of threads specifically inspired by conversation in chat already. (Off the top of my head, the "interesting flags" thread from the other day started in chat; I know there have been several others.)

I just don't see any purpose in copy-pasting chat logs into threads (which only admins can do, so it's not something available to the rest of us) and then taking the time to attempt to format them into something readable, instead of just starting a thread. I really think it makes more sense to just tell people to start threads if they want to start threads, especially since my guess is that if it took off, and a big portion of the threads did start with snippets from chat, that it would look stupid and probably be pretty offputting to outsiders.

I think you and I are thinking the same thing. Having the thread start with a snippet of chat is ok I guess, but what I liked about the thread was that it was actually a decent topic of light conversation that works well for JJ. The thread is a good idea, if other interesting topics come up in chat I would hope that more people open them up as threads. I don't really care about having the snippet of chatlog in there.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not seeing any good reason for a dedicated chat forum. If a topic comes up that makes a good thread it can probably find a place in one of the existing forums.

Perhaps encourage people who see things like this to start new threads based on the ideas in chat.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread