+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuck you, Streisand

Registered
    Jul 2009

Default Fuck you, Streisand

So Isaac Bashevis Singer wrote a fucking AWESOME short story called "Yentl the Yeshiva Boy," which was then adapted into a play. It explores the concepts of identity and gender and tradition, and what do you do, you raging cunt? You fucking take the goddamned ultimate transgender Jew story and turn it into somne bullshit! BULLASHIT!

BUUUUUULLSHIIIIIIIIIIIIT

In the play and story Anshel is the identity he adopts for the REST OF HIS FUCKING LIFE. You know why? Because HE HAS THE SOUL OF A MAN ZOMG IT ACTUALLY FUCKING SAYS THAT IN THE TEXT. And what do you, you heteronormative slackjawed yokel of a corn nut do? You cut all that shit out and give some fucked up "yay America!" ending where apparently a tranny can be happy in the wrong body if he just gets on a boat.

FUCK YOU

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Fuck you, Streisand

Well, the sequel was annoying, too. In Yentel Ben a transgendered jewish grizzly tries to find peace in the judgemental world of nature.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I support your rage and your appropriate utilization of the Thunderdome. Carry on, soldier.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Feb 2009

I applaud your extreme anger at a mediocre, 30 year old movie. Good show, old chap!

Registered
    Jul 2009

Thank you for your kind responses.

I just start thinking about that movie and start to RAGE. People hold Streisand up as some kind of queer icon and SHE HATES YOU YES SHE DOES. SHe so does because she wants to pretend tha YOU DON'T EVEN FUCKING EXIST. Or if you do exist you can be CURED BY A BOAT.

BOAT

BOAT

WTF

BOAT

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Nrblex

I just start thinking about that movie and start to RAGE. People hold Streisand up as some kind of queer icon and SHE HATES YOU YES SHE DOES. SHe so does because she wants to pretend tha YOU DON'T EVEN FUCKING EXIST.
    Do you happen to have any evidence for that, besides a story-to-movie adaptation you don't care for? And, are you equally, hysterically angry at Jack Rosenthal?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin

I just start thinking about that movie and start to RAGE. People hold Streisand up as some kind of queer icon and SHE HATES YOU YES SHE DOES. SHe so does because she wants to pretend tha YOU DON'T EVEN FUCKING EXIST.
    Do you happen to have any evidence for that, besides a story-to-movie adaptation you don't care for? And, are you equally, hysterically angry at Jack Rosenthal?
    God, I hope so.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I will confess that, after reading the thread title, this is almost the last thing I expected to read.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm on a boat motherfucker take a look at me
    Straight flowin on a boat on the deep blue sea
    Bustin five knots, wind whippin out my coat
    You can't stop me motherfucker cause I'm on a boat

I'm ridin on a dolphin, doin flips and shit
    The dolphin's splashin, gettin e'rybody all wet
    But this ain't Seaworld, this is real as it gets
    I'm on a boat motherfucker, don't you ever forget

(also i don't think she hates the gays)

Registered
    Jul 2009

Jack Rosenthal was a fucking pussy and I mean that in no offense to pussies everywhere.

Streisands eeeeeenooooooormous ego was all: "Hey bitches, I'm going to take this story about a very religious young woman who defies her culture and embraces a masculine life and ends up living as a man forever and ever and turn it into a singing crapfest about how nifty and unique I am."

And Jack Rosenthal is all: "Okay, hey, you're Barbara Fucking Streisand motherfucker. You just do whatever the hell you want. And I'm gonna sit here like a moron and let you be in every goddamn scene and never actually become the character and just be STREISAND for two hours or however fucking long this movie is going to be."

And then Streisand is all: "That's right, bitch. And this shit about having the soul of a man and living as one? Nuh uh. I'm a go to America and work in a sweatshop for 12 hours a day or maybe marry some poor Jew there and be a fucking housewife in goddamned Brooklyn, because you know what? YEAH. That's way happier than doing what I love in my country of birth, living the life I chose. WAY BETTER BECAUSE AMERICA MEANS FREEDOM."

Unless you're a Jew tranny back when antisemitism was the American way. YOU GODDAMNED MORON BITCH

Registered
    Feb 2009

I may be falling in love.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh yeah.

Registered
    Jul 2009

I have to go to class now, but I'll write down my thoughts on why Streisand hates queers to bring back, since I've really only touched upon Rosenthal pussiness and Baldwin deserves a proper response. Sorry, man. Be patient!

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Streisand hates the gays? This person is a wackadoodle. Burn him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sleeps w/Butterflies
    Streisand hates the gays? This person is a wackadoodle. Burn him.
    No, no, don't you see his (her) glorious anger? I want to sit at his (her?) knee and listen to him (her?) rant.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmmm. Ok. We'll hold off the burning to see what other nutters we can hear about with great vengeance and furious anger!

Registered
    Jul 2009

Okay, I just have a minute here but here we go:

FACT: In the play, Yentl states, "I am neither one sex nor the other" and "I have the soul of a man in the body of a woman."

FACT: In the play, Yentl never returns to a feminine identity and remains living as a man, Anshel, for the rest of his life.

FACT: In the play, Yentl is not some proto-feminist. She's "different" from other girls and basically disatisfied with anything involving being one.

FACT: Barbara Streisand REWROTE THE GODDAMNED STORY to avoid those facts.

FACT: Barbara Streisand decided a happier ending than Yentl embracing her chosen identity was GOING TO FUCKING AMERICA.

FACT: Barbara Streisand thinks it's better to be poor and live in a ghetto and be hated than to be a secret tranny.

Oh, sure, she LOVES her son and LOVES gay people's money, but her play a transsexual man? Or, hell, just a woman who even vaguely identifies with a male outlook? NAH WAY. She's got to go fuck up Yentl and turn that bitch into an Inigo Montoya humping (well, I would've wanted to hump him, too) singing moron who's like OH I WAS JUST KIDDING ABOUT DEDICATING MY FUCKING LIFE TO THIS RELIGIOUS STUDY. HAHA BYE

And that shit about telling Inigo Montoya she loves him wasn't in the fucking story, bitch. She just threw that crap in there to be all SEE LOOK SHE'S REALLY A WOMAN SHE LIKES BOOOOOOOOOYS NO WOMAN IS COMPLETE WITHOUT A PEEPEE IN HER VAJAYJAY

God. Damn. You. Cunt.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Boy, that Barbra sure has some nerve.

Registered
    Mar 2009

FACT: Barbara Streisand REWROTE THE GODDAMNED STORY to avoid those facts.

FACT: Barbara Streisand decided a happier ending than Yentl embracing her chosen identity was GOING TO FUCKING AMERICA.
    You keep saying "Barbara rewrote" and "Barbara decided." What makes you think these things were her decisions?

And that shit about telling Inigo Montoya she loves him wasn't in the fucking story, bitch. She just threw that crap in there to be all SEE LOOK SHE'S REALLY A WOMAN SHE LIKES BOOOOOOOOOYS NO WOMAN IS COMPLETE WITHOUT A PEEPEE IN HER VAJAYJAY
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd...I've been trolled. I hate when I respond seriously to a troll. Good job.

find me at Goodreads

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't know a thing about Barbara Streissand. Is this all true? I mean, generally speaking?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Winston Smith
    I don't know a thing about Barbara Streissand. Is this all true? I mean, generally speaking?
    No. Well, the parts about Yentl being materially changed from stage to screen are true. The parts about Streisand hating gays are, well, I can't say false, but I will say extraordinarily unlikely, given her politics and record of behavior.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Are we sure it's Streisand that hates Teh Gays? Because you know, I haven't been called "queer" by someone who was supposedly straight since my mother disowned me for being a lesbian. Yet Nrblex seems very comfortable using an epithet which personally offends me. Really, 'blex, I think you're protesting a little too loudly. But carry on, you amuse Hoser and me. I mean, after all, changing the original story couldn't have had anything to do with what would bring in the bucks at the box office thirty years ago, right?

This is fun. What else ya got?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd...I've been trolled. I hate when I respond seriously to a troll. Good job.
    Comical rage does not equal trolling.

Registered
    Jul 2009

You keep saying "Barbara rewrote" and "Barbara decided." What makes you think these things were her decisions?
    Because she was the one who came up with the treatment for it. From Wikipedia:

As early as 1968, Barbra Streisand had expressed interest in a film adaption of Singer's short story. Using the Napolin/Singer play as her source material, she wrote a detailed forty-two page treatment, the first to conceive of the movie version as a musical. The resulting 1983 production veered dramatically from the original short story and play by allowing Yentl to reveal her true feelings for Avigdor and having her return to her female self and sail for the United States at the end.
    From an article written by Singer:

Q: Is it true that you wrote a script of the play which Miss Streisand rejected?

A: It is true, and when I read her script and saw the movie I understood that she could not have accepted my version. In my script Yentl does not stay on stage from beginning to end. The leading actress must make room for others to have their say and exhibit their talents. No matter how good you are, you don't take everything for yourself. I don't mean to say that my script was perfect, or even good. But at least I understood that in this case the leading actress cannot monopolize the stage. We all know that actors fight for bigger parts, but a director worth his name will not allow one actor to usurp the entire play. When an actor is also the producer and the director and the writer he would have to be exceedingly wise to curb his appetites. I must say that Miss Streisand was exceedingly kind to herself. The result is that Miss Streisand is always present, while poor Yentl is absent.

Q: How do you feel about the writing?

A: It is not easy to make a film from a story. In most cases it is impossible. The great plays such as Shakespeare's, Moli ere's, Ibsen's, Strindberg's were written as plays. My Aunt Yentl used to say to my Uncle Joseph, ''In a pinch I can make from a chicken soup a borscht, but to make from a borscht a chicken soup, this is beyond any cook.'' Those who adapt novels or stories for the stage or for the screen must be masters of their profession and also have the decency to do the adaptation in the spirit of the writer. You cannot do the adaptation against the essence of the story or the novel, against the character of the protagonist.

Let's imagine a scriptwriter who decides that Mme. Bovary should end up taking a cruise along the Riviera or that Anna Karenina should marry an American millionaire instead of committing suicide, and Dostoyevski's Raskolnikov should become a Wall Street broker instead of going to Siberia. This is what Miss Streisand did by making Yentl, whose greatest passion was the Torah, go on a ship to America, singing at the top of her lungs. Why would she decide to go to America? Weren't there enough yeshivas in Poland or in Lithuania where she could continue to study? Was going to America Miss Streisand's idea of a happy ending for Yentl? What would Yentl have done in America? Worked in a sweatshop 12 hours a day where there is no time for learning? Would she try to marry a salesman in New York, move to the Bronx or to Brooklyn and rent an apartment with an ice box and a dumbwaiter? This kitsch ending summarizes all the faults of the adaptation. It was done without any kinship to Yentl's character, her ideals, her sacrifice, her great passion for spiritual achievement. As it is, the whole splashy production has nothing but a commercial value.
    I'm not trolling. Maybe I'm a bit hyperbolic here, but fuck man, how boring is this place if you're all: "Oh, this is an unreasonable rage. I shall be polite and quiet and refrain from caps lock and frothing."

Maybe she doesn't recognize the homophobia, but the fact that she took a story about a woman in a gender crisis who ends up embracing a masculine identity and turned it into a very straight love triangle that ends in heteronormality tells me that she didn't understand or care about the original message. I don't believe the story needed to be changed to make money, because it was already a succesful play before the film was made.

And who says I'm straight?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    No, no, don't you see his (her) glorious anger? I want to sit at his (her?) knee and listen to him (her?) rant.
    No, that's just your desperate desire to get his PEEPEE in your VAJAYJAY.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You heavily implied it when you posted this:

I just start thinking about that movie and start to RAGE. People hold Streisand up as some kind of queer icon and SHE HATES YOU YES SHE DOES. SHe so does because she wants to pretend tha YOU DON'T EVEN FUCKING EXIST. Or if you do exist you can be CURED BY A BOAT.
    I see no "we" or "us" in there. You may not be straight, but my inference from your posts is that you are not gay or lesbian, either.

Registered
    Jul 2009

I was speaking to those GLBT folk who hold Streisand up on a pedastal, not to all GLBT folk. I don't put her on a pedastal and so I'm not included in said group.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Okay, I see now.

But did you like "Funny Girl"?

Registered
    Jul 2009

Yes. My Streisand rage only began last night.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I for one am glad you got it out.

Registered
    Mar 2009

As early as 1968, Barbra Streisand had expressed interest in a film adaption of Singer's short story. Using the Napolin/Singer play as her source material, she wrote a detailed forty-two page treatment, the first to conceive of the movie version as a musical. The resulting 1983 production veered dramatically from the original short story and play by allowing Yentl to reveal her true feelings for Avigdor and having her return to her female self and sail for the United States at the end.
    I concede the point, and I apologize for calling you a troll.

Now: is her reworking of the script blatant gay-hateration on her part, or is it just an attempt to make the ending a happy one, or what she thought American film audiences would feel was a happy one? That happens all the time to literary works (look at Disney's The Little Mermaid or The Hunchback of Notre Dame) and it's usually about money, not bigotry.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

I concede the point, and I apologize for calling you a troll.

Now: is her reworking of the script blatant gay-hateration on her part, or is it just an attempt to make the ending a happy one, or what she thought American film audiences would feel was a happy one? That happens all the time to literary works (look at Disney's The Little Mermaid or The Hunchback of Notre Dame) and it's usually about money, not bigotry.
    Hey! Don't you be trying to turn this into a reasonable discussion -- I want rage! RAGE!!!
    Hell is other people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wanna know how lucky I am? I have no idea what Yentl is and I'm only vaguely aware of who Barbara Streisand is.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

She's the Jew who made that fabulous Christmas album back in the late sixties, early seventies. The one with the really hip Jingle Bells/Sleigh Ride.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I may have heard the song, but that's well before my time.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's still played. The album has become a "classic."

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Whiskey and Ryan
    Wanna know how lucky I am? I have no idea what Yentl is and I'm only vaguely aware of who Barbara Streisand is.
    God, you are lucky. You're about one of the luckiest bastards in the whole wide world.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Here's why:

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena
    God, you are lucky. You're about one of the luckiest bastards in the whole wide world.
    HEY! Without Barbra Streisand we would not have one of the funniest early South Park episodes ever.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Here's why:

So you're saying he's a little closer to being gay than he is to being Jewish? OK, yeah, I'd say that sounds about right.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by Fiveroptic
    Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena
    HEY! Without Barbra Streisand we would not have one of the funniest early South Park episodes ever.
    Ah, that reminds me...

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but I would just like to point out the Barbra Streisand effect here.

It's not germane (or Michael or Tito) to the conversation per se, but it should put a perspective on the woman. It certainly makes me go "Pfffft!"
    Anything is possible if you use enough lubricant.

Porno Dealing Monster pepperlandgirl's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe she doesn't recognize the homophobia, but the fact that she took a story about a woman in a gender crisis who ends up embracing a masculine identity and turned it into a very straight love triangle that ends in heteronormality tells me that she didn't understand or care about the original message. I don't believe the story needed to be changed to make money, because it was already a succesful play before the film was made.

I sincerely, and without irony, love anybody who so easily and smoothly works in "heteronormality" into spirited rants about how much Streisand sucks. I hope you stick around (and also come talk with us in chat).
    I'm still swimming in harmony. I'm still dreaming of flight. I'm still lost in the waves night after night...

Do you have an idea or an article you would like to see on the Electric Elephant? Email me at theelectricelephant(at)gmail.com!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Here's why:

I may well just get that tattooed on my neck. That's the most awesome thing I've seen all week, and I've seen me naked. That statement is why I tend closer to "gay" than "Jewish".

Registered
    Mar 2009

So then, you're not that awesome just by your sheer nakedness?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Guizmeaux
    Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but I would just like to point out the Barbra Streisand effect here.
    So essentially, if I'm understanding correctly, the Streisand effect is similar to what happens when you try to hold in a fart.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm what they consider compounded awesome. It's an intricate balance of many different things.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Fiveroptic
    So essentially, if I'm understanding correctly, the Streisand effect is similar to what happens when you try to hold in a fart.
    Yes. Either it starts coming out of your pores, or you just shit your pants.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank you. That's what I thought. This is why it's bad to hold in your farts, kids!

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Here's why:

Dude, Richard Simmons is jewish, too.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Winston Smith
    Dude, Richard Simmons is jewish, too.
    Nope, Catholic, unless he converted and I didn't know about it. Don't let the Carole King hair fool you: he grew up Catholic and even briefly considered entering the priesthood. :smile:

find me at Goodreads

+ Reply to thread