Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why were all members with a 0 post count deleted

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Why were all members with a 0 post count deleted

[quote=Winston Smith]
    Quote Originally posted by "Sleeps w/Butterflies":2vgp8qdh

CHRIS HANSEN IS GONE!?!?!?!?!? Let me tell you something, MISTER MCNUTTY, you haven't SEEN dramatical yet. MARK.MY.WORDS.

DIAF,
    Sleeps
    Please clarify: Should it just be McNutty that dies in a fire, or should the fire include CRSP and What Exit?, too?[/quote:2vgp8qdh]

McNutty. M to the C to the Nutty. MCNUTTY!

I suggest you be glad I don't turn my rage at YOU. Back away.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I signed up here back in March mainly to park my username, occasionally lurk, and never posted at all up until a week or two ago (I am an infrequent poster everywhere). Sounds like I just missed the purge.

If I'd tried to log in and noticed my account had been deleted, I'd assume it was maybe intentional for some silly reason or another, and I'm quite positive I'd not bother signing up again. I'd certainly remember signing up.

I only mention this in case you want the perspective of someone from the "unlikely" scenario of signing up and returning weeks or months later.

Registered
    Jul 2009

I wonder, is this going to happen again? If so, would it be possible to announce ahead of a purge the criteria that will be used to determine who is to be purged? In that way we can make the decision to avoid the purge if that is our desire.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If you have a record of the purged names, it might not be a bad idea to look for the ones who are SDMB members, and for CRSP to e-mail them to apologize and invite them back.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Wow. Miss a day miss a lot!
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by zuma
    I signed up here back in March mainly to park my username, occasionally lurk, and never posted at all up until a week or two ago (I am an infrequent poster everywhere). Sounds like I just missed the purge.

If I'd tried to log in and noticed my account had been deleted, I'd assume it was maybe intentional for some silly reason or another, and I'm quite positive I'd not bother signing up again. I'd certainly remember signing up.

I only mention this in case you want the perspective of someone from the "unlikely" scenario of signing up and returning weeks or months later.
    Good point zuma, I don't think this exercise will be repeated.
    Quote Originally posted by Duck Quack's Echo
    I wonder, is this going to happen again? If so, would it be possible to announce ahead of a purge the criteria that will be used to determine who is to be purged? In that way we can make the decision to avoid the purge if that is our desire.
    If we do it again, we'll discuss it first and post the exact criteria. It will be based on no post and no board activity for some long amount of time. I suspect we will not be doing it again.
    Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena
    If you have a record of the purged names, it might not be a bad idea to look for the ones who are SDMB members, and for CRSP to e-mail them to apologize and invite them back.
    That can be tough, we lost the Emails too unless McNutty has a magic SQL trick to pull the usernames and Email addresses from a backup. But it is a good idea and I am willing to do the Email work. I might ask for volunteers to divide the work. I'll PM this to McNutty.

Registered
    May 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    Quote Originally posted by Fenris
    One important thing that I think needs to be examined is th..........
    Not that important, then?
    Nah. That's how all his important points end. . . .

Registered
    Jul 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    Quote Originally posted by Excalibur
    Well, maybe I was wrong to disagree. With the new troll-free atmosphere, we've been graced by the presence of SDMB favorites like Gfactor, OpalCat, and Ed Zotti . . .
    Gfactor is probably real. He was lurking here before.
    Yep. It's me. Of course this proves nothing.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer
    Seriously. And I keep missing them! I was away for the April Fools' Day Mess, the Bibliocat Sock Outing, and most of this, the Great Lurker Purge. I swear, we are piling up trainwrecks faster than the old board ever did! :smile:
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Dude, don't let this happen again... make sure you are here on July 20!

I'm kidding, of course... I hope that's obvious...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Borborygmi

I'm kidding, of course... I hope that's obvious...
    What is July 20th?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm not being serious, in this mock heads-up to OneCentStamp. July 20th is just a random upcoming date. I know of no upcoming scheduled board controversies!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not being serious, in this mock heads-up to OneCentStamp. July 20th is just a random upcoming date. I know of no upcoming scheduled board controversies!
    Oops sorry. I think I just whooshed myself again.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, it would have been clearer if I had quoted the previous post. And, switching to being serious, my sympathies regarding the current kurfuffle; it'll blow over.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by zuma

Just thought I'd add my "me too!"
    If I hadn't been so darn curious about Featherlou and Jimbo's new house, I'd have been gone as well.
    I lurk near every day, but don't have much to say.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    Quote Originally posted by Glazer
    Seriously. And I keep missing them! I was away for the April Fools' Day Mess, the Bibliocat Sock Outing, and most of this, the Great Lurker Purge. I swear, we are piling up trainwrecks faster than the old board ever did! :smile:
    Me too!

The thing is, we're a very small town with one train track running right through Main Street. So the slightest delay for maintenance makes us all sit up and take notice. Other larger boards may have just as many trainwrecks, but with a zillion alternate routes, you don't have to sit there tapping your foot on the brake wondering if you should just put the damn car in park already.

Wait, I think my analogy derailed a bit there...what was I talking about?
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I guess I should consider myself lucky. I have fewer posts than some deleted. :x

But like others have said, I do check in from time to time, make a post or two, and read many topics.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Idle Thoughts
    I guess I should consider myself lucky. I have fewer posts than some deleted. :x

But like others have said, I do check in from time to time, make a post or two, and read many topics.
    Just to clarify, no one with more than 1 post got deleted

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hm? McNutty just posted a list of people who had over 1 post, didn't he? Earlier in this topic? Or was that a list of something else?

Then I guess I'm grateful I made more than one post, haha.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Idle Thoughts
    Hm? McNutty just posted a list of people who had over 1 post, didn't he? Earlier in this topic? Or was that a list of something else?

Then I guess I'm grateful I made more than one post, haha.

That was a list of how often they posted in Chat. So it's different.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, I see, that was chat posts. The boards pruning software does not even know about chat posts. Only thread posts.
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3833#p87670

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ohhhhh, I gotcha. Thanks for clearing it up. Makes sense.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Great Lurker Purge - I like that. It scans very well.

Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote-"WhyNot"]Wait, I think my analogy derailed a bit there...what was I talking about?[/quote]

I think you said something about you and me go parking sometime.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Registered
    Jul 2009

You're having a surprise party for my birthday?!?!? I didn't know you all cared. *sniff*

I can't believe I reregistered for that. As to the controversy, as someone who was affected I say meh. But I would not have signed on again if not for the mention of my birthday.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Hey! That was supposed to be a surprise! Hence the designation "surprise party". Rocyn, come here. I have to hit you on the head with a mallet and induce amnesia, so you forget that you already know about the party.
    Wow, WhyNot, you're brilliant! Especially on Thursdays!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rocyn
    You're having a surprise party for my birthday?!?!? I didn't know you all cared. *sniff*

I can't believe I reregistered for that. As to the controversy, as someone who was affected I say meh. But I would not have signed on again if not for the mention of my birthday.
    Okay, THAT'S our new plan - mention every day of the year and get all the deleted lurkers back in here.

August 1st.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Happy happy, merry merry.
    Welcome back kick up your feet post awile.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Welcome back!

Registered
    Jul 2009

Default Planning for an apology to the members that were deleted.

Did I really scare you that bad?

Registered
    Jul 2009

Default Re: Planning for an apology to the members that were deleted.

Why not something like this?

Your account at Domebo.net no longer exists. We massively overreacted to a nonexistent threat that was posted at snarkpit.deadjournal.com and deleted every single account with fewer than two posts. It was really silly of us to do that and it's a virtual certainty that you weren't doing anything wrong. Please accept our apology. You are free to register again with the same email address and user name as before. In the unlikely event that someone else took your old user name in the mean time, we apologize again but you can simply choose a new one.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Naw, if you're going to go that route, stick with

Greetings, [username],

Sorry we suck so much.

-The Management
    It's shorter.
    Wow, WhyNot, you're brilliant! Especially on Thursdays!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by goatse spam
    Why not something like this?

Your account at Domebo.net no longer exists. We massively overreacted to a nonexistent threat that was posted at snarkpit.deadjournal.com and deleted every single account with fewer than two posts. It was really silly of us to do that and it's a virtual certainty that you weren't doing anything wrong. Please accept our apology. You are free to register again with the same email address and user name as before. In the unlikely event that someone else took your old user name in the mean time, we apologize again but you can simply choose a new one.
    You give yourself too much credit. That was to the best of my knowledge not the reason this was brought up.

Registered
    Jul 2009

Quote Originally posted by admin
    You give yourself too much credit. That was to the best of my knowledge not the reason this was brought up.
    Actually, I didn't make that post on the snarkpit. I just named myself after it with this new user name as my old one was deleted.

No one has every said why it was done. Jim and CRSP had some frantic discussions and decided that this had to be done right away without any input from the rest of the staff. If it wasn't to stop something immediate, why didn't they wait?

To free up user names? Bull. The Dope has like 85,000 usernames and other message boards have hundreds of thousands yet people still sign up for them.

So that socks can't influence elections? Just put a 30 post limit on elections like you did with image posting. (Aside: That's lame too because someone spam bombed you the very night of the massacre.) There wasn't an election planned anyhow.

What we haven't seen yet is a coherent explanation as to why it was done. I may be slow but the only think I can think of is that y'all were trolled by a snarker.

Even if Jim had done what CRSP claims he really wanted, what was the original purpose of eliminating accounts with no posts that were 90 days old or whatever it was?

ETA: That was weird. When I first replied, that post was made by "admin". Now it's by "What Exit". No biggie but I thought I was replying to someone else.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll leave the full explanation up to CRSP. It is not my place to disclose the PMs. Sorry about the admin bit. That was me and I fixed it. I was helping out two of the members that I pruned when I posted. The rest of this belongs in another thread though. In fact I'll move it shortly.

[modhat:2i1k7jhk]Moved 5 posts starting with GoatseSpam's from the apology leter thread to this one.[/modhat:2i1k7jhk]

Registered
    Jul 2009

Quote Originally posted by Kat
    Hey! That was supposed to be a surprise! Hence the designation "surprise party". Rocyn, come here. I have to hit you on the head with a mallet and induce amnesia, so you forget that you already know about the party.
    No worries, I'll just slide down to Moe's and have a forget-me-shot. Of course this could result in me killing my wife or forgetting about the board totally.

And thanks everyone for the welcome.

+ Reply to thread