+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Song of the day thread July 2009

Registered
    Apr 2009

Default Song of the day thread July 2009

The 1st. has already gone, in the June thread.
    Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Song of the day thread July 2009

You forgot your song, lady.

July 2nd, 2009
    . This ain't bad.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Holy Crap, I went to college with at least two of those guys. (Chris and Paul if you are wondering.)

Paul was an insanely talented person (I don't remember Chris well) so it's good to see he is doing stuff.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    You forgot your song, lady.
    No, just booted a new thread. Home briefly for lunch and haven't yet decided on an appropriate submission, too late now

The "Lady" bit is incorrect to. I'll have you know that I'm no lady . One of the other sort, in fact.

The avatar is actually Myléne Farmer. A sort of Canadian, like yourself.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll hold off on tomorrow just for you.

If Mylene is a Quebecois, she's a Canadian completely unlike me.

Registered
    Apr 2009

I'll hold off on tomorrow just for you.
    No need, first come, first served

was I incorrect about you being Canadian? Otherwise I have misunderstood what you mean.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I am indeed Canadian. Saying that someone from Quebec (a Quebecois) is not like me is a Canadian joke, since Quebec has been agitating to leave Canada since about forever.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Ah, now I follow - sort of.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Friday July 3rd 2009

Seeing as Myléne has been mentioned above,

More for the video than the song and particularly the bit at 3:39 and onwards, nice imagery I thought.

This one is quite innocuous but a few of her videos have been banned in France, not due to eroticism but more the blood and gore she seems to enjoy.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Saturday July 4th. 2009

I imagine you guys are too busy celebrating your independence from the crown to come in here today.

Leningrad Cowboys & the Red Army Chior,

Registered
    Apr 2009

Come on guys! Fingers on the button
    Or are you all too hung over?

Sunday July 5th 2009

Elisa,

Live performance at the winter olympic games 2006.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Monday July 6th 2009

Paul Simon Live in Africa.

Graceland popup up on the iPod yesterday, so I thought I would share a bit.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

What the heck I'll take today too.

Tuesday July 7th 2009.

The Buzzcocks

With bonus clips

Also a couple of cool tracks from 999, because I am in a 70s British protopunk kinda mood.

Registered
    Apr 2009

July 8th 2009

Stumbled over this whilst looking for something else.
    Peter Gabriel
    and a that take a while to get going.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Saturday July 11th 2009

Another Peter Gabriel track:

I had never heard of Peter Gabriel until I found Happy Rhodes, who covers quite a few of his compositions. I prefer her covers to the originals.
    This is very reminiscent of Hendrixs' . (The one on the "Electric Ladyland" LP is much better)

Registered
    Apr 2009

Sunday July 12th 2009.

Well, Sunday is almost over here and no-one has jumped in so I am going to propose: Barber - .
    Partly as I have been playing this most of the evening but it is a beautiful and emotional composition almost without equal. Many of you will be familiar with it, and not without reason.
    Brought tears to my eyes the first time I heard it and no, it was not a film score but on BBC Radio 3. I was working at the time and had to stop and just listen.

There are very many versions of it and I feel that this isn't quite the best, a bit strident in places. Only to be expected for a live recording.
    Mine is by the London Symphony Orchestra under Andrew Schenk.

Weird having it playing in two rooms simultaneously, out of phase.

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Ok, so it is sorta cheating, but I'm gonna do it anyways this once, because I really want tomorrow's song.

Monday July 13

played by an Ecuadorean band. I have this song on an album by the band Atahaulpa (who were good enough that they were at Dollywood for a time) titled Ritmo y Sabor. Last I saw though, even their site was down, I don't know what happened to them. They played this song (ETA: a little) slower, and with more skill I think.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Tuesday July 14th

Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Bump with a side note. I just became aware of this band within the last week and I love this music. To me it’s like Radiohead without the whining nasal vocal portion or Sigur Ros without the stupid made up language. Most of the bands songs sound remarkably alike at first, but then after listening to them they are all really quite different. According to what I’ve read on the net this style of music is called “post-rock” and if anyone has suggestions of more bands out there that sound like this I’d love to have them.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

When I hear Post Rock I think

Listening to the track I don't think any of those are quite right, but I think they are in a similar vein. Another band you might want to look into is for more of my musical free association while I am listening to the song. (Califone has more in common with Calexico or Nickel Creek than what you posted, but listening to that track made me think of Califone. Don't know why.)

Let me see if I can find YouTube or Last.fm clips of any of the above for you.

ETA: added clips

Registered
    Feb 2009

I like that, too (post-rock, eh?). I have some songs by bands like this in my iTunes, but unfortunately I can't think of them off the top of my head. I'll let you know if I come across them again.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Actually, I think Prince's N.E.W.S. album might fit the bill. There are no videos to link to, unfortunately, but I was able to borrow it from my local library. It is quite a departure from his usual pop/R&B, and I quite like it.

ETA: What about Joe Satriani?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, a lot of the videos on YouTube have Steve Vai or Joe Satriani as comparables but while I do dig guitar wankery this is something a little different. More Google has led me to a very similar band called Explosions in the Sky.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Whiskey and Ryan
    Yeah, a lot of the videos on YouTube have Steve Vai or Joe Satriani as comparables but while I do dig guitar wankery this is something a little different. More Google has led me to a very similar band called Explosions in the Sky.

No one pays attention to what I write.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have no idea how I missed that! Those are all awesome suggestions. Honestly this kind of music is a little outside my wheelhouse, but I’ve just really been digging listening to it over the past week or so. There’s just something about insanely technical moody music that’s really appealing to me right now. It started with Pelican and Porcupine Tree last Monday, but is seeming to mellow out to mid album tracks by Opeth and now this stuff. It’s kind of a breath of fresh air in my little musical world right now though.

ETA- Thanks for all the links. Yours is definitely one of the musical tastes that I appreciate and pay attention to.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No worries. If you don't really know much about post rock you might want to check out , who are the shining light of the Mathrock movement, which is sort of the father of the post rock movement. They only have 1 album and an EP so it's really easy to get all their stuff if you like them.

Also, is another obvious choice you might have overlooked if you haven't spent a lot of time with this genre. (Mogwai are probably the originators of the post rock movement.)

See also San Diego Bands like Three Mile Pilot, Pinback, and The Blackheart Procession who were all followers of Mogwai in their own way. They all spun out into just regular rock at some point, but the influence is there.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Slint I already know from my extensive Touch and Go collection (Spiderland on vinyl? Yeah, I gots that) but I really dig the no vocal approach of This Will Destroy You and Explosions in the Sky. It’s like ambient music not just made by acidheads with synthesizers.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wednesday, July 15, 2009
    I just love this song.

Registered
    Jul 2009

I think that everyone loves that song, but when it comes on at a party and people try to sing along it's rather akin to a group of stray dogs howling at the moon.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Whiskey and Ryan
    Bump with a side note. I just became aware of this band within the last week and I love this music. To me it’s like Radiohead without the whining nasal vocal portion or Sigur Ros without the stupid made up language. Most of the bands songs sound remarkably alike at first, but then after listening to them they are all really quite different. According to what I’ve read on the net this style of music is called “post-rock” and if anyone has suggestions of more bands out there that sound like this I’d love to have them.
    Post-rock's also sometimes called shoegazing or dreamrock, so you may have some luck with that.

The Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine both were some of the earliest bands playing like that. You could also try Verve's Verve EP and their first album A Storm in Heaven (before they became a Britpop band). Here's . Other bands are the Cocteau Twins, Godspeed!, Mogwai, Slowdive, Swervedriver, Spiritualized etc.
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Registered
    Feb 2009

So this is what people were talking about. A few weeks ago I was at a backyard party and someone was talking about having a friend join a "Shoegaze" band but struggled to explain the music. I equated the term with MBV or Dinosaur Jr and Rites of Spring/Fugazi and other older post hardcore acts, I had no idea that there was a more modern movement working under the same name. This has been a most interesting revelation.

I burned a CD of This Will Destroy You this morning and played it while driving to work. It make a dreary and rainy Wednesday seem pretty lush and beautiful.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, the one feature all the bands seem to have in common is the huge number of guitar effects they use, and the "wall of sound".

Shoegazing was really popular in the UK in the late 80's and first half of the 90's, then it seemed to disappear for ages. Loads of bands in North America seem to be picking up the genre, again, now.
    D'une langueur Monotone

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ivo Shandor
    I think that everyone loves that song, but when it comes on at a party and people try to sing along it's rather akin to a group of stray dogs howling at the moon.
    I can only imagine! (Thank God!)

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Actually, I think Prince's N.E.W.S. album might fit the bill. There are no videos to link to, unfortunately, but I was able to borrow it from my local library. It is quite a departure from his usual pop/R&B, and I quite like it.

ETA: What about Joe Satriani?
    Joe Santriani is in a new "super group" now, called Chickenfoot. It is might fit the bill.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Thursday 16th July: .

Saw these a few weeks ago in Manchester, and they were amazing.
    D'une langueur Monotone

Registered
    Feb 2009

That was excellent, CRSP; I am off to find me some Kasabian.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Friday 17th of July 2009

Bit of a rambling lead up I'm afraid.
    I was pottering around doing jobs that have remained in the planning stage for the past decade or so and put my dads's 70's radiogram on. I never listen to the radio and had forgotten we had it in the house - my youngest daughter rescued it from my mother's house when she died.

Appropriately enough they were playing (cheesy) 70's music.

One came on that I recognised but didn't know the name of, nor the artist. After much searching it turned out to be Kiki Dee with .

I checked a bit further and found a different version by who looks as though she should have enjoyed greater fame than she did.

It also led back to the original, French version by

Whom it appears had a very popular relationship with Michel Berger, who wrote on of my favourite songs, after Berger's untimely death.

Following the split between Sansom & Berger, he took up with France Gall and became the new darlings of the French music scene and Sanson married Steve Stills with whom she had a son.

Sanson and France Gall are remarkably similar in appearance and sound, although you wouldn't mix them up, and appear to be great friends, although there is quite an age gap.

Sorry about the ramble but I was intrigued by the way all this lot fits together and involve some of my favourite artists, even peripherally. And most of them are French, and I have a soft spot for most things French, especially musicians and cars.

ETA: forgot to put the date in

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Saturday July 18th The Dwarves . (NSFW)

I saw that we are back on Brit time and that Myglaren was going to attempt to sneek a song in under the wire, so I decided to thwart the effort.

I bring to you for your weekend listening pleasure, some very NSFW music by The Dwarves. Horrible, terrible, catchy, dancable music about sexual abuse, criminal assault and incest. Sort of Natural Born Killers set to a pop tune.

For the traditional NAF bonus song I present a less racy song that has some more artistic merit by The Dwarves. This song is called Everybody's Girl.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Curses! thwarted again! ASDFGHJKL;@*

*perhaps not the best moment to clean my keyboard with a paintbrush

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ah yes, the Dwarves. It was always a close tie between them and The Mentors as to which cassette tapes bothered my mom more. I think in the end the cover to Blood, Guts, & Pussy was what pushed her over the edge. Two hot naked chicks covered in blood and a midget fucking a rabbit? That was a bit much for my mother. I recall having to throw those away, as well as the Anal Cunt stuff.

Shock punk rules.

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Sunday July 19

Abney Park -

Registered
    Feb 2009

Monday, July 20th

Sam Sparro - .

I've been pimping this video around because I just like it so much.

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Tuesday July 21

Louis Armstrong -

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Nice pick. Love that song.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wednesday July 22nd:

I’ve never been the biggest Tom Petty fan myself. Nothing against him, he’s fine on the radio and all, but he’s never really struck a chord with my tastes if you will. That changed one day driving home from work when the last independent local radio station in Chicago (WXRT!) played a live version of this song from one of their charity CD’s (the station tapes all of the concerts that they sponsor and then cull some of the best stuff into a CD which is then sold for charity around the holidays). This is some hard rocking Tom Petty, which to me is a pretty big departure from most of his popular works. This is also a newer song for him, only appearing on the CD The Last DJ released in 2002.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I had a Tom Petty moment like that, too - I've never been a huge fan either. His writing is fantastic, and I love the music, but his voice is his weak link. Some of his songs are just so damned good that I can live with his voice, though.

ETA: Is having a bunch of carpets on your stage the most pretentious thing ever?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom Petty was the first rock artist that I was ever a genuine fan of. I was given a casset tape of Damn the Torpedos when I was 10 and absolutly fell in love with the music. Since then how much I like his stuff has cooled a good bit, but the album Last DJ was great.

Songs like still get me though. I am not sure how much is nostalgia and how much is that the music genuinly kicks ass.

I can blame Tom Petty for me wanting to learn to play guitar though.

@featherlou, I think an argument could be made that they were there for sound quality issues...but you are probably right.

Registered
    Feb 2009

ETA: Is having a bunch of carpets on your stage the most pretentious thing ever?
    A bunch of carpets? No, the dampen the sound coming off of the stage and make it more comfortable to stand around jamming for an hour or two. Having Persian rugs on the other hand is pretentious. Unless it really ties the room together. :wink:

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm, I never thought of the sound issue. I take back my implications of pretentiousness on those grounds.

Registered
    Apr 2009

I can never seem to gel with Tom Petty songs except the duet with Stevie Nicks "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around".

+ Reply to thread