+ Reply to thread

Thread: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS discussion

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS discussion

I'm not sure if these are frequently asked out loud, but there's at least one I haven't figured out yet and I've been too embarrassed of my technical skills to ask. As long as nothing else more important requires the space, it might be nice to include some of these.

How do I:

Quote someone?

Quote multiple people at once?

Post an image?

Post a link?

Become a moderator?
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q & A's (please edit this post as needed mods & techs)

How do I Quote someone?
    Every theme has a quote button or link but Black Pearl has a small temporary glitch so that you need to change your language in the user control panel to British English currently. This will be fixed.

How do I Quote multiple people at once?
    Quote the first post and it brings you to the edit window. Below the Edit window you will see the rest of the posts in the thread. Scroll through this list and hit quote on any of the posts you wish to add to your post. Each post quoted will be added into the edit window wherever the cursor was sitting last.

How do I Post an image?
    This varies by browser and style. In Prosilver, Subsilver2 and Maxthon you click the IMG button and get a pop-up to just paste the link to the where the image is hosted. In Black Pearl you need to code it manually. The format is simply [ img ]http: // imgelocation.com[ /img ]. (no spaces in the tags of course.)

How do I Post a link?
    Very similar to IMG. It is a pop-up tool in everything but Black Pearl.

Why don’t I get the Pop-Up tools?
    If you use Black Pearl see the next. If you use a pop-up blocker you need to allow Domebo.net pop-ups. This varies greatly by browser and pop-up blocker add-on tool.

Why don’t I get the Pop-Up tools in Black Pearl?
    In Black Pearl the option is not available and probably will not be for quite a while. It is a difficult tech mod and we don’t yet have a development version of Black Pearl to experiment with. We have to write this code change ourselves and test it. We are not just applying tested modifications.

How do I Become a moderator?
    Please send a PM to CRSP to let him know you are interested.

Why is The Dark Room green?
    It is green to increase visibility and decrease accidental clicks for those posting on slow connections and those posting in locations where inappropriate pictures might be a bad idea.

Why are some posters' names in red?
    The posters in red are for the tech staff. This may change in the near future. It just allows for easy identification if any of the techs are on-line.

How do I get an article on the front page ?
    If you have an article you would like to get on the front page, please PM CRSP. If you see an thread that might be good for the front page please PM CRSP.

Can anyone start a poll?
    All Regular Member can, the handful restricted to Room 101 cannot.

How do I start a poll?
    Currently Polls can be started in The Polling Booth. There isn't a button. When you go to start a new thread, the options to create a poll will be down below your edit window. You just have to scroll down to find them.

Can I have a Poll in a forum outside of The Polling Booth?
    Yes, start you poll in The Polling Booth and ask a Mod to move it. Use either a PM of your OP or you can report your post for help.

Registered
    Feb 2009

What is Room 101?
    How do I get an article on the front page?
    How do I make a poll?
    How do I make an avatar?
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by TheFlame
    What is Room 101?
    How do I make a poll?
    How do I make an avatar?
    I've added four of yours to my post above.

Anyone have good language to describe Room 101?

Anyone seen good step by step instructions yet for making and uploading an avatar?

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    Quote Originally posted by TheFlame
    What is Room 101?
    How do I make a poll?
    How do I make an avatar?
    I've added four of yours to my post above.

Anyone have good language to describe Room 101?

Anyone seen good step by step instructions yet for making and uploading an avatar?
    Room 101 is like a proctologist's office. The place where buttholes with a problem should go.

Re: avatars
    1) Choose picture you wish to use as an avatar, and copy it, lest you alter the original.
    2) Open the copy with MS Photo Editor, Irfanview, Photoshop, or whatever editing program you like.
    3) Resize and crop the image until it meets the size limitations posted.
    4) Upload avatar.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but there's not much more to it than that, and I'm a fairly low level compu learned person.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by danceswithcats
    Re: avatars
    1) Choose picture you wish to use as an avatar, and copy it, lest you alter the original.
    2) Open the copy with MS Photo Editor, Irfanview, Photoshop, or whatever editing program you like.
    3) Resize and crop the image until it meets the size limitations posted.
    4) Upload avatar.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but there's not much more to it than that, and I'm a fairly low level compu learned person.
    For those of us even more low-level tech geeks than danceswithcats, if you're linking to your avatar from Photobucket, you can easily edit it in Photobucket. Resizing to the exact size limit takes seconds.
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CRSP
    the use of DoMeBo is deprecated in favour of Domebo
    You may want to change the title beside the phpBB logo, it still says "DoMeBo".

Registered
    Feb 2009

Updated FAQ with Fair Use wordage from Caerie

What is considered Fair Use?
    It is still copyright infringement to lift whole blocks to text, regardless of whether you provide proper citation. Basically, you can use anything that is considered "fair use"--a good rule of thumb is 10% of the source itself. That covers all form of media. So, if there is an article that is 1000 words, you can use 100 words of it and still be okay. Anything over that, however, and it is no longer within the realm of fair use, and it's just out-right stealing. That also means if you want to post a clip of a movie for discussion purposes, you legally can, if you only post a small portion. So a total run time of 10 minutes for a move 100 minutes long is fair.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS discussion

Are there any more non chat Questions we should add to the FAQ?

+ Reply to thread