+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: THE RULES discussion

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: THE RULES

What's the thinking on postcount-padding kinds of threads? It'll come up. Right now, I can see where 'more is better' might be tempting, but keeping the signal to noise ratio right is also important.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Rules look fine to me, Crispy. I hope you haven't put your whole life on hold, with all the time you're spending with this!
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default R

I dunno - I have problems following rules.

no, we're cool.
    Don't let it be forgot / That once there was a spot / For one brief, shining moment / That was known as Camelot.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ensign Edison
    What's the thinking on postcount-padding kinds of threads? It'll come up. Right now, I can see where 'more is better' might be tempting, but keeping the signal to noise ratio right is also important.
    Good question - I've been on boards where there were (many) threads that consisted entirely of people posting, "Last!" They are just noise, I'll agree with that, but it seems like one of our mandates here is to keep the rules as simple as possible (mostly since most of us are refugees from excessive rulification). Maybe that one should be a membership monitoring thing - don't start 'em, don't participate in 'em.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Community Socks and Post-Padding

Quote Originally posted by Ensign Edison
    I think it's great that I'm only, as of this date, about two posts behind Lib and Guin COMBINED!! How cool is that?

I think I explained the idea of "community socks" somewhere above. Basically, if someone wants to post but not under his or her own user-name (for whatever reason) they can do so as "sockpuppet 1' or 'sockpuppet 433'--clearly labelled as a sock, so no false support or trolling is really possible (because we would all understand that this was a regular poster, and would attach no credence to his or her positions in themselves) but would allow people the benefits, such as they are, of posting under a temporary user-name.

I don't know if it would work (and you'd have to ban all socks NOT following the "sockpuppet 286" rule) but I can't really think of a downside.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Rules

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    I would like there to be a rule that if anybody posts something like this and it isn't immediately followed by a "Just kidding!" that person should be shot: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... stcount=18
    Holy guacamole, I had not seen that. So it's come down to that level of nannying absurdity?

Fuck if I'm gonna stick around for that shit.

Oh, yeh, like the smilies. Gotta go put up an avatar now.
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Community Socks and Post-Padding

Quote Originally posted by prr
    I think I explained the idea of "community socks" somewhere above. Basically, if someone wants to post but not under his or her own user-name (for whatever reason) they can do so as "sockpuppet 1' or 'sockpuppet 433'--clearly labelled as a sock, so no false support or trolling is really possible...
    Isn't the current rule ("Sockpuppets used for [the purpose of e.g. discussing embarrassing problems) must include the word SOCK in their usernames") basically equivalent to that, without the hassle of having to keep track of which number sock-puppet the board is up to?
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Sorry--I hadn't noticed that we'd already created a system of sockpuppetry here.

It might be a virtue, though, if we could make sockpuppet-registration into a formal thing. For one thing, codifying sockpuppet names would make it a little more apparent that someone was using a sock account (i.e., "Sock22" is a bit more obvious than "JimiHendrixatWoodsock") and numbering and registering socks would discourage their use for casual reasons. If I had created JimiHendrixatWoodsock, for example, I might re-use it every time I was getting into an argument and wanted to bolster my support by chiming in with a few "You ARE sooo right, PRR!! You're kicking some big time ass here. You rooool!"s, especially if no one had noticed that I was, in fact, a sock, or maybe I'd appear in the same thread as JHaW and as PRR and maybe another sock or two, which a registration agreement could prohibit. When we were up to Sock2883, the re-appearance of Sock22 would raise some eyebrows. Numbering would also clear up some confusion arising if I wanted to ask about my erection that had lasted for a week and got into a discussion with other people with the same problem who also didn't want to discuss it under their own usernames--maybe having numbered socks would be clearer than "IMASOCK" and "IMASOCK!!" and "IMALSOASOCK" as to who was talking.

I don't know. I haven't thought this out too clearly, but if you like we could discuss it, and come to conclusions like reasonable folks.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Community Socks and Post-Padding

Quote Originally posted by TheFlame
    Quote Originally posted by prr
    I think I explained the idea of "community socks" somewhere above. Basically, if someone wants to post but not under his or her own user-name (for whatever reason) they can do so as "sockpuppet 1' or 'sockpuppet 433'--clearly labelled as a sock, so no false support or trolling is really possible...
    Isn't the current rule ("Sockpuppets used for [the purpose of e.g. discussing embarrassing problems) must include the word SOCK in their usernames") basically equivalent to that, without the hassle of having to keep track of which number sock-puppet the board is up to?
    I don't know that you'd necessarily have to number them in order, e.g. you could have Sockpuppet 1 and Sockpuppet 3173 going at the same time, and all you'd have to do is avoid using the same number as someone else, which the board software wouldn't let you do anyway.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hey, y'all.

If you're still looking for mods, I'd be willing to give it a try for The Pit or The Guggenheim. My time spent online has been vanishingly small lately, but I'm down if you want me.
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Registered
    Mar 2009

(Warning, I'm lazy and didn't read the whole thread)

Can we edit people's quotes as jokes? Obviously not malicious changes, just the fixed stuff etc (they're funny sometimes!)

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll volunteer as a mod, too, if you need one. I visit all the forums regularly except Games and Sport.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I love the new sock rule!

Good to see you, Dinsdale and mozg! I have to ask; what the hell does "mozg" mean? I liked catsix

Quote Originally posted by CRSP
    What about separate Moderator accounts?
    I really like that idea. It's better for security purposes, too, as any *nix admin knows.

I second what Rube E. Tewesday said: the "mod hat" thing was great until recent tidings.

Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    And may I say how refreshing it is to feel like I actually have a voice again? I've been on the Dope a long time; it wasn't until recently that I have felt like all management really wanted from me was to sit down and shut up.
    Seconded!

Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    I don't think I'd put a lot of time and effort into sock-hunting, though - I don't think most people can be bothered to create socks.
    Clearly, you haven't been to the Snarkpit lately.

Are we allowed to talk about recreational drugs and/or file-sharing?
    Here's a man after my own heart!
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hostile Dialect
    Clearly, you haven't been to the Snarkpit lately.
    <snip>
    Well, mayhap I have, and mayhap I haven't. I admit nothing!

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I like these rules a lot, especially the accommodation of non-malicious socks (something I started a thread about Over There not long ago).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Those of you who are interested in becoming moderators: PM CRSP to get put on the list, then at some point there'll be an election.

what comes to mind when I hear community sock, is like a standard name any of us could log into and post under - to remain anonymous when desired... hmm?

what are the upsides?

we have already been told we can be anonymous with medical questions by using a sock and labeling clearly "SOCK"

Registered
    Feb 2009

One addition to the "Mod Hat" comment, on Bad Astronomer's board, when the mods are making a modding comment, not only do they do the old "Mod Hat" routine, but they also change the color of their font. This makes it easy to catch a missive if you're rapidly scrolling through a thread.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tuckerfan
    One addition to the "Mod Hat" comment, on Bad Astronomer's board, when the mods are making a modding comment, not only do they do the old "Mod Hat" routine, but they also change the color of their font. This makes it easy to catch a missive if you're rapidly scrolling through a thread.
    On a similar note, I spotted a great suggestion for mod hats over at the GBs. Not sure how easy it would be to implement but sounds worth a go to me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I just wanted to add my support of the sock rule. I think it'd be great for those questions that can be just a little bit too personal. I know I've had a few that have gone unasked.

And I think different colored text for official mod rulings is a great idea as well.

Registered
    Feb 2009

[modhat:2r4zg7vo]Already implemented![/modhat:2r4zg7vo]

Really easy to add new tags with phpBB.
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CRSP
    [modhat:1mjw1hyn]Already implemented![/modhat:1mjw1hyn]

Really easy to add new tags with phpBB.
    Do you need to be a mod to have a [modhat:1mjw1hyn]modhat[/modhat:1mjw1hyn]? -- Apparently not, they're letting just anyone wear one.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

[modhat:6wa4zxli]Doesn&#39;t mine look fancy?[/modhat:6wa4zxli]
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Giles
    Do you need to be a mod to have a [modhat:4vv8xa2h]modhat[/modhat:4vv8xa2h]? -- Apparently not, they're letting just anyone wear one.
    Hmmm, that could be a bit of a problem. Is there a way of restricting certain tags so only moderators can use them?

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Impersonating a mod is treasonable and should be an instant stoning!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmmm, that could be a bit of a problem. Is there a way of restricting certain tags so only moderators can use them?
    That's probably a good idea. There's no such functionality in vanilla phpBB, but it's easy enough to code in such a restriction. Something I'll probably get around to doing.

In the meantime, I'll ask members not to use it. I'm not going to issue a warning for it (unless you seriously abuse it), but you'll get a stern look.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Are there any content-restriction rules like on SDMB, for example:

1) Posting about potentially illegal stuff (specifically, there was a lot of repression of discussing non-past non-legal drug use)
    2) Homework (wah wah help me with my homework)
    3) Wishing death on people
    4) Calling people trolls.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

My initial thoughts are:

1) Potentially illegal? No problem, as long as the thread doesn't turn into a "How To" on committing crimes. Illegal AND dangerous? Probably not.
    2) Ask away, but I'll understand if posters don't want to answer them.
    3) Tricky. Wishing is probably okay, but threatening definitely is not.
    4) Knock yourselves out.

Don't take these as anything other than rough guidelines for the time being. These are questions we obviously need to discuss before actual rules are codified, particularly #1.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Alien Crouton
    Are there any content-restriction rules like on SDMB, for example:

1) Posting about potentially illegal stuff (specifically, there was a lot of repression of discussing non-past non-legal drug use)
    2) Homework (wah wah help me with my homework)
    3) Wishing death on people
    4) Calling people trolls.
    My view (based on interpretation of the rules):
    1) No. This is expressly allowed as long as you don't link directly to something clearly illegal (such as a pirated movie) (here)
    2) No. There's no rule on this (though I expect mods may use their common sense in obvious cases)
    3) Yes and no. You may not make death threats (link), but obvious hyperbole such as FOAD or DIAF isn't considered to be a "death threat".
    4) No. This is expressly allowed in the Thunderdome

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Is there any rule regarding talking about your ignore (or Foes) lists?

Saying that you're ignoring someone is a pretty lame way to taunt them, and says more about you than your foe, so marking the subject as off limits seems unnecessary, IMO.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have a question (and I may have missed this... forgive me if I did): in the DarkRoom, are there any restrictions/guidelines on what type of images can be posted? I surf at work a lot, and wouldn't at all mind seeing, oh I dunno, boobies and such, but my boss would be less enthusiastic than myself. And HR would probably be just downright NOT understanding!

So what's the rules there?
    Anything is possible if you use enough lubricant.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by sublight
    Is there any rule regarding talking about your ignore (or Foes) lists?
    Nope, knock yourself out for the reasons you outlined.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Astroboy14
    I have a question (and I may have missed this... forgive me if I did): in the DarkRoom, are there any restrictions/guidelines on what type of images can be posted? I surf at work a lot, and wouldn't at all mind seeing, oh I dunno, boobies and such, but my boss would be less enthusiastic than myself. And HR would probably be just downright NOT understanding!

*Pokes Q.E.D. with a stick and taps foot impatiently...*

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

There does not appear to be rules yet on it. Hopefully we can have a work safe rule or maybe a declarative being required in the title that the thread is not work safe. There is nothing official yet. Lets use that as a guide in the meantime.

Registered
    Mar 2009

OK, thanks What Exit!

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?

There does not appear to be rules yet on it. Hopefully we can have a work safe rule or maybe a declarative being required in the title that the thread is not work safe. There is nothing official yet. Lets use that as a guide in the meantime.
    I have started a new thread in The Hive for moderator discussion of the topic, as we don't want mods pulling rules outta their bums around here. Thanks for raising the topic, and give it a few days to see what the group determination is.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks, Dances!

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

New rule: No poking the mods with sticks. They don't like it.

The mods aren't too happy about it, either.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Q.E.D.
    New rule...
    Nazis! Jackbooted thugs!!

:mrgreen:

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Discordia
    (Warning, I'm lazy and didn't read the whole thread)

Can we edit people's quotes as jokes? Obviously not malicious changes, just the fixed stuff etc (they're funny sometimes!)
    I just noticed that nobody's responded to this so I'll have a go. This isn't an official rule, just my own personal take.

If you do something like this, please include a comment that you have changed the quote from the original. If I see quotes that have been altered without any sort of notice, I'll go in and add one.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Updates to Chat: please note the link to Index without Chat and that "NSFW and Porn will draw warnings and time in Room 101."

Chat: (To avoid chat on the index, use this link and bookmark it please .)
    The bar on language is relaxed in Chat, just keep it semi-relevant. If you have a personal issues with another poster, take it to the Thunderdome. No stalking allowed of course.
    If you have a problem with a post and don't know what to do, please PM the Global Moderators group.
    Moderators will delete posts as needed and have access to a chat log to review problem reported that are now off the scroll.
    Safe for work Images are allowed in chat. Moderators will delete any they deem questionable without consultation. NSFW and Porn will draw warnings and time in Room 101.
    If you do not wish to see the images, the Display images within posts option in the UCF will turn them off in chat too.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: THE RULES discussion

I consolidated the T'Dome Rules into this Op and unstickied the pit thread. I also redirected the Rules link in the T'dome to here. I think a single rules thread will reduce confusion.

If you see another stray in a subforum let me know.

I pulled this off the Rules and combined the Rules with the FAQ and updated both for changes.

+ Reply to thread