Poll results: Is a two tier membership system worth pursuing?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 19.15%
  • No

27 57.45%
  • Maybe

11 23.40%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any other proposals to slow the worst trolling?

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Any other proposals to slow the worst trolling?

The time limit I find useful.. The number of posts not so much. You'll have a bunch of people posting "oh yeah" and "hi" messages into other threads to hit that amount. Anyone going out to troll will say "Oh boy! A message board I can totally go 4chan on!" then get a message like "You must wait 4 days to post images. Please enjoy the other aspects of our message board until the required time has passed."

They'd probably go elsewhere to troll and not bother holding onto the link to even come back. And if they do.. well, they're quickly banned and their mess is mopped up.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Caerie
    This is likely going to be an unpopular suggestion, but remember when we did an IP ban against a troll using an anonymizing proxy server? I say do that again. Every time.

Yes, people use them to gain access from work. There are potentially other ways around that, though, which don't leave gaping security holes. Oh, and yes, people with socks who want privacy use them to hide their IP addresses, even though mods aren't supposed to be looking at IPs anyway.

As long as trolls can sign up with as many accounts as they like, they will continue trolling.
    Sounds reasonable to me.

Personally, I don't care what they do because I never use a work computer on here. If I was surfing at work, I'd block all images to be safe. If someone chooses not to block images then they have to take responsibility for that decision if their work sees a tubgirl or two. You can't totally block trolls who want to be trolls. What thrill they get out of it I cannot possibly imagine, but the more you make a production of it the more (I think) they'll want to do it.

As much as it can be fun to have images in any forum, it may have to be that they are blocked everywhere but The Dark Room as they were before. Either way, I think there can be *too* much worry about including everyone's opinion in the decision making process. There's no way you're going to make everyone happy.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Registration by mail only.

The postage-paid envelopes we send out may be a hit in the wallet, but I think it would effectively eliminate all the lazy trolls.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Turn off image posting except in the photo posting forum.

I have them off by default most of the time anyway, though, so they don't bother me.
    "There are no ordinary people. ... It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." C.S. Lewis

Registered
    May 2009

If we don't have enough mods, then let everyone mod posts with images. Then your abuse case would be spurious removal of images, which I think would be much more manageable. Trolls wouldn't find it as much fun as posting tubgirl images. Regulars wouldn't abuse it (or if they did, they could have their image modding rights taken away).

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer
    Or we can change our outlook. Children will be children, assholes will be assholes and trolls will be trolls. It's the nature of the internet. When someone breaks the rules stick them in room 101 if they are some one who post normally at other times. Or just ban the account clean up the mess and carry on with our lives. We chose our mods because we trust you to use your judgment. Eventually the trolls learn that we're no fun and will move on to easier feeding grounds.
    It'd be nice, but let's face it, it's not gonna happen. The reigning ethos here, like at the SDMB, is to cooperate with trolls as much as we can. Freak out, start threads, make every single decision by referendum (and encourage trolls to register multiple accounts to vote in them), and now, probably, let them dictate that the rest of us don't get to post images. And here on a smaller board malicious users are thrown into sharper relief, since there's less other stuff going on in the background.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibur
    and now, probably, let them dictate that the rest of us don't get to post images
    The terrorists are winning! Our fun is spoiled!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Since Tubgirl this weekend I've been posting with images off, and I have to tell you, it is no big deal at all. I have to click a link if I want to see - no problem. Next time anyone complains about something that can be fixed by turning images off, I will remember this.

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer
    <snip>Or we can change our outlook. Children will be children, assholes will be assholes and trolls will be trolls. It's the nature of the internet. When someone breaks the rules stick them in room 101 if they are some one who post normally at other times. Or just ban the account clean up the mess and carry on with our lives. We chose our mods because we trust you to use your judgment. Eventually the trolls learn that we're no fun and will move on to easier feeding grounds.
    Adding my "Me too, I agree!" to this.

+ Reply to thread