+ Reply to thread

Thread: The (Unofficial) Chat FAQ

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default The (Unofficial) Chat FAQ

What is that list of names over there on the right, and why does it differ from the "Who is online" list on the index page?
    The online list for chat shows those members who have the chat window or the index page open (or who have recently had one of those windows open). The online list shows those members who have been anywhere on the board within the last 15 minutes.

What do those dots next to the names signify?
    The colored dots reflect the level of a user's current activity in chat.

What do the colors mean and what happens if the dots change color?
    A green dot means you are currently chatting and your chat window should refresh every 7 seconds. If you do not chat for three minutes, your dot will turn yellow and the refresh rate for the window will drop to 30 seconds. After 10 minutes, your dot will turn red and the refresh rate will drop to 10 minutes. This means there could have been a large amount of conversation happening, but you won't see it until the window refreshes.

Sometimes I have seen people just post one period. Are they making a snarky commentary on the conversation?
    No, they just want to keep their window active and don't have anything in particular to add. You can also hit refresh, but you will lose most of the chat history.

How do I bold things /use italics /make quotes, etc. in chat?
    You will need to insert the tags manually, i.e. {b}{/b}, {i}{/i}, {quote}{/quote} (using square brackets).

How do I insert images, and what is the guideline for them?
    You can insert an image by pasting a link to it in between image tags ( {img}{/img} but with square brackets). Images over 1024x768 in size will not post. All images need to be safe for work. Not safe for work images will be deleted by the mods and the poster may receive a warning and/or be temporarily restricted to Room 101.

What's the rule on language in chat, and what do I do if I see something questionable?
    Here is the section of the Domebo rules regarding chat.

Quote Originally posted by CRSP
    The bar on language is relaxed in Chat, just keep it semi-relevant. If you have a personal issues with another poster, take it to the Thunderdome. No stalking allowed of course.
    If you have a problem with a post and don't know what to do, please PM the Global Moderators group.
    Moderators will delete posts as needed and have access to a chat log to review problem reported that are now off the scroll.
    I love the board, but hate the chat! What can I do?
    You can use this link to a Domebo in which chat does not exist.

I love the chat, but don't love the board, or I want chat open in a separate window.
    You can use this link (it's also at the top of every page) to access a chat window that is separated from the board index.

How can I turn off the images?
    Individuals can turn off images by going to their User CP -> Board Preferences -> Display Options and changing 'Display Images Within Posts' to No. It turns off images in chat as well as across the board.

Sometimes people disappear from the list on the right, but they stay in the conversation. What's with that?
    It seems to be a bug in the chat code. If it happens to you and you want your green dot to appear, you'll have to refresh the page.

How do I reduce the amount of space the Date and time use in the chat display?
    Go to the User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit global settings and change the My Date Format to Custom and try a setting like Md G:i:s for Month Day hh:mm:ss like this Jun27 18:20:50
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: The (Unofficial) Chat FAQ

I created this as a tool we can use to address the questions that pop up in chat. Mods and McNutty, please review for accuracy. Everyone, please let me know if I have made any mistakes or omitted anything, and we can update the OP.

Thank you and have a nice day.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sometimes people disappear from the list on the right, but they stay in the conversation. What's with that?
    It seems to be a bug in the chat code. If it happens to you and you want your green dot to appear, you'll have to refresh the page.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Once this runs it course of additions, I thought we would clean it up, copy the OP and combine it with a copy of the Rules Thread and the FAQ. Does that sound reasonable?

Registered
    May 2009

Myrnalene, thanks for posting that. I learned something new from it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You could add in that individuals can turn off images by going to their User CP -> Board Preferences -> Display Options and changing 'Display Images Within Posts' to No. (Thanks again, myrnalene!) It turns off images in chat as well as across the board.

T&B, that should help you out when chatting from work!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Might not be worth mentioning:

If you scroll to the bottom of the chat window, you will see a number. In prosilver it is a grey on blue. This is the total chat posts. In Maxthon it is green on grey and easy to read and see. It is missing from Subsilver and ProDark.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sorry antigonos, I tried to thank you but my posts are being disappeared now. I honestly don't know anymore what is OK to say in this thread.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Truth and Beauty
    Sorry antigonos, I tried to thank you but my posts are being disappeared now. I honestly don't know anymore what is OK to say in this thread.
    Please see the other thread and the PM I sent.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=What Exit?]
    Quote Originally posted by "Truth and Beauty":2mk878jm
    Please see the other thread and the PM I sent.[/quote:2mk878jm]I read the PM and I'm still confused. I was told by the OP that only technical questions about chat were allowed in this thread, so I asked a technical question about what antigonos said, and a technical question about chat, and that was also disappeared. Are any questions at all allowed from me? Or am I only supposed to post unqualified praise in this thread?

Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=Truth and Beauty][quote="What Exit?":12ooyf9v]
    Quote Originally posted by "Truth and Beauty":12ooyf9v
    Please see the other thread and the PM I sent.[/quote:12ooyf9v]I read the PM and I'm still confused. I was told by the OP that only technical questions about chat were allowed in this thread, so I asked a technical question about what antigonos said, and a technical question about chat, and that was also disappeared. Are any questions at all allowed from me? Or am I only supposed to post unqualified praise in this thread?[/quote:12ooyf9v]
    [modwarn:12ooyf9v]This is a warning, you have been asked to use the other thread for questions. Please stay out of this one now.[/modwarn:12ooyf9v]

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

OK What Exit? I will stay out of this thread.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

I not sure if we should put this in the FAQ or not. For some reason I like it not being on demand. But maybe that is a bad attitude.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Why doesn't pressing enter in the text entry field submit my message sometimes?
    The chat code periodically refreshes the portion of the window with the chat messages in it (e.g. every 7 seconds to start). When it's making the request to the server to do the refresh, there is a small spinning animation that is shown at the bottom. While this is happening, you can't submit a new message, so your enter key will be ignored. Just wait for the refresh animation to disappear and then hit enter again.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by McNutty
    Why doesn't pressing enter in the text entry field submit my message sometimes?
    The chat code periodically refreshes the portion of the window with the chat messages in it (e.g. every 7 seconds to start). When it's making the request to the server to do the refresh, there is a small spinning animation that is shown at the bottom. While this is happening, you can't submit a new message, so your enter key will be ignored. Just wait for the refresh animation to disappear and then hit enter again.
    Why does it occasionallt eat my chat post
    I don't have an better answer than the Chat Code is not great. Can you come up with a better one?

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No idea.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm going to consolidate the Chat FAQ into the Rules and FAQ thread today. Any last minute additions?

+ Reply to thread