+ Reply to thread

Thread: Formula One Splits in Two

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Formula One Splits in Two

Well, it looks like 8 of the teams that make up Formula 1 have had enough of Max Mosely and the demands being placed on them from the budget cap.

They are going to form their own Championship in 2010 before the budget cap kicks in.

When that list includes Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso, then you are looking at the top teams departing probably including the World Champion at that point.

This could be interesting, as there are already three new teams signed up for next year with FIA saying there are more who are interested.

So, two championships or will they sort it out with some last minute negotiation?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Formula One Splits in Two

My bet would be on two championships. I don't think teams go public with their desire to leave if they still see a possibility for negotiation.

Having two first leagues isn't that uncommon in sports. It has happened in darts, chess, boxing, other types of motor sports, pro wrestling,... without any damage done to the popularity of the sport.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Going to be interesting .
    Max and his buddies have some legal recourse if Ferrari pull out, there will lawsuits flying there, although from my limited knowledge Ferrari have some inklings of a get out clause - so if FOTA teams pull the plug there will be a fair bit of court comedy, where everyone looses bunches of cash.

F1 also have teams lined up to take the spots vacated, so the question for F1 is - can they draw the fans to the set up with a budget cap and no big name teams?

From the FOTA point of view they have the glitz and big name teams and can probably attract the fans - but can they sell the TV rights and get access to the tracks? (I think Bernie has that tied up).
    I expect a lot of posturing from both sides all trying to attract the fans hence TV rights, once the direction the TV viewers are moving in is determined expect the big compromise favoring those who look likely to get the most TV viewers , and they will all make up.

All in my very inexpert opinion.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

I am torn, on one hand I think it would be fantastic for these teams to break away; race with a straight forward rule book, receive a fair percentage of TV money and basically a big F You ! To Bernie Ecclestone who has sucked the fun out of the sport in the interest of making more money by procession driving in rich Arab states.

On the other other hand, I can see this being a decade of legal battles; some tracks require an FIA license to hold an event, heritage tracks like Monaco could be lost and all the crap to follow regarding FIA contracts held by Ferrari and Red Bull.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chew Barker
    I am torn, on one hand I think it would be fantastic for these teams to break away; race with a straight forward rule book, receive a fair percentage of TV money and basically a big F You ! To Bernie Ecclestone who has sucked the fun out of the sport in the interest of making more money by procession driving in rich Arab states.

On the other other hand, I can see this being a decade of legal battles; some tracks require an FIA license to hold an event, heritage tracks like Monaco could be lost and all the crap to follow regarding FIA contracts held by Ferrari and Red Bull.
    It will probably end up like the CART/IRL split up in the U.S. The stronger series will reabsorb the weaker some time down the road.
    dogbutler-100% fact free!

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

When I read this thread title, I had high hopes that they'd finally implemented my idea of loosening random nuts and bolts during pit stops!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

+ Reply to thread