+ Reply to thread

Thread: Renaming WHWN as it now includes original photos, photo classes and other art. Temp to "The Studio"

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Renaming WHWN as it now includes original photos, photo classes and other art. Temp to "The Studio"

We need a new name and description for WHWN and are open to suggestions. My understanding is it will be the place for original Art work by members. Thus writing, photo classes and artistic/landscape style photos. The pets, lolcats, member image threads will be going into Jibba Jabba.

A simple boring generic name for the forum would "Our Arts". I hope we can do better than this with the creative people that will most use the forum.

Caerie has suggested: The Studio I think this would work well but please submit some ideas if you think you have a better one.

The description currently reads: "A place to show off your creative works, in any medium."
    Is this sufficient or should it say more?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Renaming WHWN as it now includes original photos, photo classes and other art.

The Studio isn’t bad, but that’s the place of creation, not display. The Gallery works well.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Renaming WHWN as it now includes original photos, photo classes and other art.

Quote Originally posted by Whiskey and Ryan
    The Studio isn’t bad, but that’s the place of creation, not display. The Gallery works well.
    I approve of this suggestion.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My suggestion: separate the photography threads into their own forum. You could call it The Developing Room or something like that. That's really what I'd like.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    My suggestion: separate the photography threads into their own forum. You could call it The Developing Room or something like that. That's really what I'd like.
    CRSP has made the decision to condense forums for now until traffic picks up I guess. So we need to make the remade WHWN make sense for people finding the changes and for new posters.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I like both of them. A lot of sharing and critiquing goes on here (ideally. anyway) so The Studio seems just as appropriate to me.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by sublight
    I like both of them. A lot of sharing and critiquing goes on here (ideally. anyway) so The Studio seems just as appropriate to me.
    I agree, they both sound nice. But, think about how they abbreviate. The Gallery = TG. The Guggenheim = TG. A minor point, but I would like a name with a punchy and definitely unique abbrev.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The ease of abbreviating is a good point. TS couldn't be mistaken for another forum, for what it's worth.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Caerie
    The ease of abbreviating is a good point. TS couldn't be mistaken for another forum, for what it's worth.
    Art Gallery would give us the unique AG or TAG. But the abbreviation is a good point.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    CRSP has made the decision to condense forums for now until traffic picks up I guess. So we need to make the remade WHWN make sense for people finding the changes and for new posters.
    Yes; I disagree with that decision, and hope it will be reversed.

But, if we do keep the forums combined, The Studio is a good name.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I like The Studio as a name. It's simple, it abbreviates easily, it makes sense.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If I draw a picture of Phil Collins can we call it the Stu-stu-studio? Woah oh?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Hey What Exit?, can we temporarily re-name WHWN with...really anything that is more or less a general name, so that people know it isn't just a writing forum anymore. I think the sooner we remove the WHWN name the less confusing it will be. We can settle on a final name for the subforum after that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138
    Hey What Exit?, can we temporarily re-name WHWN with...really anything that is more or less a general name, so that people know it isn't just a writing forum anymore. I think the sooner we remove the WHWN name the less confusing it will be. We can settle on a final name for the subforum after that.
    Sure, we'll make it "The Studio" until some final word comes.

troubleagain

Default Re: Renaming WHWN as it now includes original photos, photo classes and other art. Temp to "The Studio"

Holy cow, I hate looking through all those writing threads to find the photography threads.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Renaming WHWN as it now includes original photos, photo classes and other art. Temp to "The Studio"

Quote Originally posted by troubleagain
    Holy cow, I hate looking through all those writing threads to find the photography threads.
    Sorry about that but I think that is a subject for another thread or an appeal to CRSP. I'm just trying to improve what we have right now. I actually like subforums. I was shot down on a Sports only one in G&S but got through the Mafia & RPG one at least.

WHWN was not going to work for the new version of the sub-forum and thus this thread.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How about "Studio And Gallery" and then you can call it "SAG".
    Wow, WhyNot, you're brilliant! Especially on Thursdays!

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Maybe we could think of a thread-labeling scheme, like putting (PIC) at the beginning of the thread title or something, to make the picture threads stand out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I was rather hoping for a garret so I can be all wan and consumptive.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    I was rather hoping for a garret so I can be all wan and consumptive.
    Nothing is decided yet, but that seems a tad obscure. Makes me think of "Portrait of Jennie " :smile:

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena
    Maybe we could think of a thread-labeling scheme, like putting (PIC) at the beginning of the thread title or something, to make the picture threads stand out.
    PIC for threads of photos
    SHOOT for threads about photos
    READ for threads with articles
    WRITE for threads about writing

That way those of us who don't care about how to write or shoot can find the threads with the finished product.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer

That way those of us who don't care about how to write or shoot can find the threads with the finished product.
    I like these ideas. If everyone else does, than we can make it part of a sticky in the forum and if someone forgets just report the thread or PM the mod group to add the clue to the title.

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

^ What he said. I can see that maybe you want things condensed for now, but I would be glad to know that if things pick up the shutterbugs and artists will have a roost of their own, even if it is just a subforum and not its own forum.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How about calling the combined forum 'Show and Tell'?

Accurate descriptor and unique abbreviation.
    There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. - Doctor Who

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer

It was so nice having everything organised...

While we are on the subject, I posted this in the "What is wrong with this place" thread:

Quote Originally posted by I
    sublight wrote:
    I like Vox's idea of merging TDR and WHWN into a user art forum.
    I think it's a good idea. Someone, somewhere (sorry, I was reading yesterday but didn't have time to post then so can't remember where I saw it...) mentioned keeping TG for talk about telly, films, art etc and then having a place for posters art. Merging TDR and WHWN could be that. Giving a place for all domer creations, not forgetting our artists, knitters, builders, carpenters etc. I think I see it as a place to share ideas about projects and where we can see pictures of completed things.
    We have a lot of talented people here, providing a place for them to talk about and show what they can do may be a way of encouraging others to post as well.
    I still like the idea, and maybe we could create sub forums for this. Writers and Photographers to have their own as we seem to have so many of them, and then others for: works in progress or crafty consultations. Maggenpye's Show and Tell would work very well for this kind of forum.
    "We don't need to all lose glitter privileges because one kid makes a sparkly penis on the carpeting." - Excalibur

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    Sorry about that but I think that is a subject for another thread or an appeal to CRSP.
    I agree with the complaint and have realized another problem caused by the reorg: we now have no way to limit the photos threads to 10 posts per page, which makes opening any thread potentially painful on, say, an iphone.

Is there a thread where it would be more appropriate to discuss solutions for these problems?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Is there a consensus that merging WHWN and TDR was a bad idea? If so, I'll reseparate them and make them both TG subforums. This solves the problem of coming up with a new name.
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If I say yes and you and I are the only people around, do I win?

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I say yes.

I'd like to see them as separate subforums and, if we're lucky enough to get the traffic, subforums added later for crafts, paintings etc
    There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. - Doctor Who

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Quote Originally posted by CRSP
    Is there a consensus that merging WHWN and TDR was a bad idea? If so, I'll reseparate them and make them both TG subforums. This solves the problem of coming up with a new name.
    Please do? It would make finding the topics so much easier. Give the writers, and the photographers/artists their own little subforums to roost in.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Honestly I am firmly in the camp of sub-forums are a great idea. I liked the idea of TDR moving to TG as a sub-forum for original photos. We can also use the existing code hack to give users the ability to limit the posts per page in TDR. With JJ members will have to hope for titles to indicate if it is a heavy Pic threads like the Cat and Dogs ones but I think with a TDR we can assume it will be mostly photos with many posts having many photos.

We should still strongly suggest and modify thread subjects as needed to indicate a thread is a photo thread.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by maggenpye
    I say yes.

I'd like to see them as separate subforums and, if we're lucky enough to get the traffic, subforums added later for crafts, paintings etc
    I'd like to second thid idea!
    "We don't need to all lose glitter privileges because one kid makes a sparkly penis on the carpeting." - Excalibur

troubleagain

I don't want to sound like a whiny bitch, but holy cow, yes. Please! I'm not a writer, and don't care to read amateur fiction, especially not NSFW, and I'd definitely like them re-separated! Thanks for all you do, though--I want you to know I'm grateful, just disconcerted by this change.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Renaming WHWN as it now includes original photos, photo clas

I think keeping photos and writing as separate sub-forums would work for me, too, simply because I have almost no interest in the writing threads and lots of interest in the photo threads.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I like Show and Tell. Even if you separate out TDR, why not encourage Show and Tell to be any sort of creative thing, not just writing? Keep TDR for photo classes and showing off pics of the pets.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Dark Room is restored.
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank you!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks, Dude. I like the arrangement. (It's so weird to have a board where the administration listens to posters.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks, Dude. I like the arrangement. (It's so weird to have a board where the administration listens to posters.)
    If it makes you uncomfortable we can try to study other models.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I liked it better when they were combined.

+ Reply to thread