+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are you guys kidding me?

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Are you guys kidding me?

viewtopic.php?p=79481#p79481

You want to stick him in Room 101 for hypothetical actions he might take in the future?

Some of the mods were asking for examples of actions / discussions that are evidence of high-handedness. Here's one. Let me be the first to say: This shit is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

ETA: Ok, it's not letting me link to the right posts but I am talking about numbers 29 and 30.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Are you guys kidding me?

Wait, who has the conch?
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thought crime dontchaknow.

Hmm, I don't know what that's about.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

This thread, NAF1138.

SBSO said, in post #7:
    I may troll at some indeterminate point in the future, but I have learnt that it is best to start out with serious queries as if one starts out a troll then one does not receive serious responses.
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Banned
    Registered
    Jul 2009

I should have thought it was clear that I wasn't referring to that thread, but apparently not.

Never mind, you are all still learning to moderate, teething troubles are inevitable. I am tolerant. :smile:

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Essentially, the guy admitted to using that thread in TC to set the bait for future trolling, and he did so publicly and in no uncertain terms. Had he been more oblique, or had he admitted to doing so in a PM, I most likely wouldn't have done anything. But he admitted to this in the thread. My position is that if someone is going to admit to it, it should be acted on. And for all I know, he's a snarker who's having fun at my expense; he could be high-fiving his snarker buddies right now over how he got one over on me. I don't really care.

Hopefully, a few days in Room 101 will eliminate any desire to do that, which is why I suggested it. Of course, it's not up to me, it's up to all of the mods to reach a decision; all I can do is give my opinion.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Banned
    Registered
    Jul 2009

No I didn't. That thread is not bait for future trolling, and in fact I explicitly stated the opposite.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Stop with the over moderation. Preemptive strikes are so 2001.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, good. I was going to open this myself, thanks Myrna.

Terrible decision, ladies. I love ya like butter, but please reconsider. I don't care if he is setting the stage for trolling - if he ain't done the crime (yet), he shouldn't do the time. "Pre-emptive" 101ing? Eek!Thoughtcrime, indeed.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Issuing punishment based on hypotheticals is a load of crap.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This is just an idea that came up that's not related to the issue of what if anything should be done to SBSO, but I'll go ahead and post it here. Would it be possible to reopen the thread (again) and move it to the Thunderdome? I agree it's far too asinine for The Crucible but some people expressed an interest in having the opportunity to continue the discussion. The TDome needs the excitement, anyway.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    Would it be possible to reopen the thread (again) and move it to the Thunderdome? I agree it's far too asinine for The Crucible but some people expressed an interest in having the opportunity to continue the discussion. The TDome needs the excitement, anyway.
    I'd be fine with this, but as MsRobyn is the mod for TC, it's best to get her input.

I can't speak for MsRobyn, but I think based on the fact that SBSO was a known troll elsewhere, it's better to deal with him upfront. Call it a pre-emptive strike.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by BiblioCat
    I can't speak for MsRobyn, but I think based on the fact that SBSO was a known troll elsewhere, it's better to deal with him upfront. Call it a pre-emptive strike.
    No, don't.

I'm serious. Don't.

Pre-emptive strikes are unethical in real life, and just as much so on a message board. He's done nothing to deserve 101ing. He's broken no rules. You're acting like TubaDiva and Ed here.

I don't want to get all Liberalsterical here, but this is something of a deal breaker for me. Please reconsider this move.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I meant it more in the context of moving the thread - we're not talking about banning him.
    SBSO was a known troll at The Dope. He stated in the thread he was planning on trolling at some point. I think moving the thread is good enough.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That's bullshit, seriously. So he's a troll, who gives a fuck? Let him run around and if he gets too annoying we'll smack the holy fucking shit out of him. He'll either mellow out or he'll implode and we'll all say "ooooh, aaaah!" Trolls are fun, this ain't the fucking Dope and SBSO is entitled to take his best shot. Move his thread to TD and let it rip.

As for being preemptive, nobody would appreciate some guy sticking his dick up their ass as a preemptive strike against them possibly farting. There's a certain amount of self-serving to an action of that kind, one has to wonder what the preemptive striker's getting out of it.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

So he's not being restricted to Room 101 until Monday?

And I don't even see why the thread needs to be moved, at this point. Is it just because some people lose their heads when confronted with pedophilia in even hypothetical terms?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

At this point, he's not being restricted anywhere. It was a suggestion. Opinions were asked for. That's all.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    So he's not being restricted to Room 101 until Monday?
    And I don't even see why the thread needs to be moved, at this point. Is it just because some people lose their heads when confronted with pedophilia in even hypothetical terms?
    WhyNot, he's not been restricted at all at this point. I believe the mods need an admin to do that, and Bibs was suggesting putting him the Room from now until Monday. This was just a mod discussion and I wanted to register my very strong request that he not be restricted at all.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It's not that pedophilia is really a taboo topic, it's that the thread started off with a bad premise, a refusal on the part of the OP to offer substantive information other than his "logic", and his announcement that he intends to chum the waters first, then start trolling. Since his intentions were so clear, I can't understand why y'all would have such a problem with that. Please enlighten me.

I've moved the thread to the Thunderdome. From here on out, he's now Lucifer's problem.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by MsRobyn
    It's not that pedophilia is really a taboo topic, it's that the thread started off with a bad premise, a refusal on the part of the OP to offer substantive information other than his "logic", and his announcement that he intends to chum the waters first, then start trolling. Since his intentions were so clear, I can't understand why y'all would have such a problem with that. Please enlighten me.

I've moved the thread to the Thunderdome. From here on out, he's now Lucifer's problem.
    Even with his stated potential intentions, I cannot see a preemptive 101'ing. If SBSO starts trolling, we can move him then. Heck, we all know his act from the Dope and apparently a few other places. We'll know when he is really trolling I think.

Registered
    Feb 2009

his announcement that he intends to chum the waters first, then start trolling. Since his intentions were so clear, I can't understand why y'all would have such a problem with that. Please enlighten me.
    You are still reading a certain declaration of trolling into what he said:

Quote Originally posted by SBSO
    SA, this isn't trolling. I may troll at some indeterminate point in the future, but I have learnt that it is best to start out with serious queries as if one starts out a troll then one does not receive serious responses.
    He's just being honest, he may go off the rails at some point. Maybe the best way to prevent that is to take him in good faith for now, and give him reason to join the community. If he does start trolling at some point, we can deal with it then. Big whoop. He's not some virulent strain of Captain Trips that has to be eradicated before he infects us with his presence.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

See, this is also what I'm responding to:

but I have learnt that it is best to start out with serious queries as if one starts out a troll then one does not receive serious responses.
    I don't take that as an indication that he may go off the rails. I take that part of the sentence that his intent is to use the Crucible thread to chum the waters, to get us to trust him. No different from a con artist sizing up a mark, really.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

See, this is also what I'm responding to:

but I have learnt that it is best to start out with serious queries as if one starts out a troll then one does not receive serious responses.
    I don't take that as an indication that he may go off the rails. I take that part of the sentence that his intent is to use the Crucible thread to chum the waters, to get us to trust him. No different from a con artist sizing up a mark, really.
    MsRobyn, you can well be reading it right. I tend to think you are. But please let him actually troll before we put him in room 101 for trolling.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Since his intentions were so clear, I can't understand why y'all would have such a problem with that. Please enlighten me.
    Because the intention to troll is not against the rules. Only rule violations should be subject to moderator action, I thought. Treading close to the line might perhaps merit a cautionary mod note.

It was the threat of Room 101ing him that really got my ire up. I agree with Myrna that we should take posts on face value, and share her hope that our friend might join the community. And if he doesn't, or if he does for a while and then gets bored and decides to troll, we 101 him then, same as anyone else.

I admit, I'm not so adamantly opposed to the movement of the thread, although I still think it prejudicial and wrong as it appears to be based on what you know of the poster, not the content of the post. Let me step back a minute: did you get Reports on the thread requesting closure or moving? I understand I'm not the only one you have to consider, and if other people found it unbearably offensive for The Crucible, I'll just shut up now.

ETA: Besides which, he's gotten way more Troll Chow because of how you handled it than because of the thread he actually started. If he was trolling, he's well fed now!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Since his intentions were so clear, I can't understand why y'all would have such a problem with that. Please enlighten me.
    Punishing someone who has done nothing wrong is bullshit.

No different from a con artist sizing up a mark, really.
    Con artists don't generally tell people that they're conning them, do they? That would kind of ... make the whole scheme not work, right?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Please enlighten me.
    He posted one stupid (admittedly, very stupid) thread. If that were the standard for being sent to Room 101 there'd be a lot of folks there at any given time. Fortunately, that's not the standard.

I understand he has a history at the SDMB and I'm not saying we should ignore it, because I never think that pretending is a good basis for decision-making. But if he is the threat to order that you and the other modes imagine, he will act up soon enough and you can 101 him with a much better rationale.

I don't think it's necessary to focus this heavily on the danger of "trolling" anyway. There's a weirdly over-broad standard of "trolling" in operation around here. The expectation shouldn't be that all users are expected to take everything super super seriously.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Please don't 101 him. He doesn't deserve it. Are we living in Minority Report or something?

Then again, I'm in favor of letting trolls troll and then putting them in a box and poking them with sticks.
    "There are no ordinary people. ... It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." C.S. Lewis

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Sticks! Sticks! Sticks! Yay for STICKS!!!
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Registered
    Mar 2009

He doesn't write, he never calls... and when he finally shows back up on a board I check he immediately gets swatted at by moderators.

It's like my birthday, with no cake and no ice cream.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Please enlighten me.
    Because you've risen to the bait. His goal is to provoke you without actually breaking any rules so that all the hand-wringers can then start screaming that this place is worse than SDMB, TWoP and Dachau.

Trolling is outside the boundary, saying you're going to troll isn't. This is an easy decision, IMO.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by sublight
    Because you've risen to the bait. His goal is to provoke you without actually breaking any rules so that all the hand-wringers can then start screaming that this place is worse than SDMB, TWoP and Dachau. .
    'Xactly. And this time it would be closer to the truth than any other time.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll just ditto what sublight said.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Banned
    Registered
    Jul 2009

Quote Originally posted by beebs
    He doesn't write, he never calls... and when he finally shows back up on a board I check he immediately gets swatted at by moderators.

It's like my birthday, with no cake and no ice cream.
    Hi beebs :smile:

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

sublight, as always, you are the voice of reason. You are one of the better moderators here.

+ Reply to thread