+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth FA63 D&D Game: Second Adventure - Goblin Guerrillas.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Middle Earth FA63 D&D Game: Second Adventure - Goblin Guerrillas.

It would probably be wise for the rest of us to remain at a distance from the cave mouth but close enough to respond to any call should it be required.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How large is the Cave? Do we want to send in agile fighters or perhaps the knights of Rohan can be of service instead?
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Macsalin is all for tackling this cave:
    "Does anyone want to sneak in and have a look? DM, Are the conditions right for hiding in shadows?
    Or shall we charge in, hoping to surprise them?
    My preference is that a Scout (presumably Giles) checks the cave for opposition numbers and traps."
    My motto is "Never apologise, never explain."

Sorry, I should say that I got that from Colin Hoult...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Giles would also rather he be allowed to go check out the cave before charging in. Just charging into an unknown situation like that is a fine way to get a party killed.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

OK, let's try this:

Giles scouts the Cave and reports back to us. (He sets a time limit. if he's not back by then, we assume he's captured and charge in* to rescue him.)
    The rest of us stay out of sight as near to the Cave entrance as we can manage.

Croak stays up above to warn us of approaching problems.

*If we do charge in, Macsalin suggests that Sabert and Theogrim lead (because they're relatively fast), followed by Macsalin and Dugar, then Lyall + Speaker-to-Animals and then the rest of the party, with Rudan and Barazinbar as rearguard.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The cave opening is smallish, even a goblin would duck to get in. It is roughly 4 and half feet high and only about 3 feet wide. The conditions look fine for hiding in shadows.

How long is Giles given to scout?

Giles starts in but finds a trip wire setup that appears to lead to a pull to drop a shield to the floor. This is only 3' in and the cave stays tight. He might need a burglar to help him.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

have the party give Giles 15 minutes before charging. Also does the party have a burgler?

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"Hmmm... wasn't our Bard a member of the... thieving class once- this one seems to recall an old conversation in a tower long ago about that very matter" offers Sabert with a tight-lipped grin. "Also- Sabert and Theogrim are both knights- the speed they gain is from horseback, which are lacking in these conditions. This warrior has no qualms about going in, but will point out that he will have to go on hands and knees and in full armor if he is to enter a cave that is 2 foot shorter than him. But this paladin is always willing to step up for the sake of the group if needed."
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Since Dugar is only 4'4'' i think he would be a good choice to go in after the sneaks if things go bad.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Giles looks around to see if there is a way he can disable the trap. If he isn't certain he will head back to the party and get some help.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Giles feels confident he can bypass this trap, but he is fearful of others he cannot disarm or notice.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

"Well if you cant get around a trap the next best thing to do is spring it yourself" Why dont we have Giles stumble into the trap shield so that it makes noise and then run out and we can ambush the goblins as they run out".

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Giles is going to head back and grab a burgler from the party. It will result in a little lost time, but it's better than leaving open traps around.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138
    Giles is going to head back and grab a burgler from the party. It will result in a little lost time, but it's better than leaving open traps around.
    Macsalin will own up to some 'burglar' skills. (He's not sure if Giles wanted a 'burger', but offers anyway! :smile: )
    He will try to Move Silently, Hide in Shadows and first Detect, then Disarm the shield alarm trap. He'll also do a Hear Noise.
    He's really cramped by the low ceiling, but hopes his agility will help.

Macsalin mutters that there is no problem with time here.
    Better we surprise them later, than run into unexpected trouble now.

Quote Originally posted by Whtwulf
    Since Dugar is only 4'4'' i think he would be a good choice to go in after the sneaks if things go bad.
    Yes, good point. Let's put Dugar and Rudan at the front (for whenever we move in). Barinzabar can follow them, with Lyall + Speaker-to-Animals just behind. Would Sabert and Theogrim kindly guard the rear?

Quote Originally posted by Whtwulf
    "Well if you cant get around a trap the next best thing to do is spring it yourself" Why dont we have Giles stumble into the trap shield so that it makes noise and then run out and we can ambush the goblins as they run out".
    We may have to do this (especially if Macsalin sets the trap off by mistake ), but it would be preferable if the Scouts could find out stuff first...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Bear in mind that I can detect a few kinds of indoor trap, although only the simplest.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll ask Croak to look around the area and see if there are any creatures or Goblins around.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra
    Bear in mind that I can detect a few kinds of indoor trap, although only the simplest.
    Thanks for mentioning that. The use of a Shield alarm trap suggests they're just using basic stuff, but we know this Groonuk leader-type can use magic.
    P.S. Bear in mind?! :wink:

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit
    I'll ask Croak to look around the area and see if there are any creatures or Goblins around.
    Most helpful. But please stick to the outdoors, where Croak would naturally be found (i.e. not inside the Cave).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Giles and Mascalin head in. Giles chose caution at the right time, the easy to bypass shield on a string trap would actually set off a much more dangerous rock fall trap if disarmed in a typical ranger way. Mascalin finds the two part trap fairly simple to bypass but he is thankful he found it.

Moving on, the low tunnel goes 15' and turns to the right where it starts to open up. It goes another 5' and is now 5' high and turns to the left where it goes 7' and opens into a good size natural chamber. In the chamber are 6 sleeping goblins, one sitting against the wall but napping at least.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

*Giles thinks silently to himself*

Hmm, 6 sleeping goblins, would probably not be much of a fight, but I can't bring myself to kill 6 defensless creatures in cold blood. No, I'm not that far gone. Best to signal to Mascalin to leave with me while we get reenforcements and see if we can't take them all at once. If they fight, they die and I won't feel so bad about that.

*Giles motions to Mascalin to be quiet and back away.*

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If Giles is happy keeping an eye on them, Macsalin nods and heads out quietly.

He explains the situation to the party when he gets back and:

- shows everyone where the trap is so they can avoid it
    - suggests that he (Macsalin) goes back quietly to get in position to assist Giles
    - that the party give him time to get set, then the Dwarves (Dugar, Rudan and Barinzabar) charge in, followed by one or two others (e.g. Sabert + Lanellan), while the rest guard the cave entrance (to stop any goblins fleeing and any possible incoming reinforcements)
    - that we kill at least four of them but try to get one of the remaining two to "surrender or die" (so we can interrogate him, then use Speaker-to-Animals Charm to send the Goblin away from here as before

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rüdan is fine with this plan.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"I am happy with this plan. I will ensure that none escape."
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I have no problems with the mercy clause in principle - let the dice fall how they will.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Macsalin amplifies that because of the low tunnel, Sabert and Lanellan take their time coming in.
    With Giles and Macsalin hopefully getting surprise / backstab attacks and then a formidable trio of Dwarves thundering in, the combat should go our way...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Lyall will remain at a distance from the cave with Croak to keep an eye out for reinforcements incoming.

Good luck to those venturing into the cave.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Do you kill them in there sleep to start?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If Macsalin makes it safely and quietly back to Giles, he whispers to him the plan (we take up position; start executing Goblins once Dwarves are heard charging in; try to keep one or two alive for questioning) ... and hopefully carries it out.

(Although Macsalin realises that just he and Giles alone might be able to defeat the Goblins by stealthy attacks, it's too big a risk when we have all these superb Dwarven Fighter ready to help.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm still missing the opening move here.

Macsalin makes it back in to whisper the plan and the goblins are sleeping.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Macsalin and Giles quietly take up positions, each ready to attack / backstab a Goblin.
    Dugar, Rudan and Baranzibar have a pre-arranged time limit (a couple of minutes) from the time Macsalin re-entered the Cave. Once this is up, they charge in (using Macsalin's directions to avoid the trap).
    The clanking noise of Dwarven Plate is the signal for Macsalin and Giles to attack.

Hopefully the Dwarves arrive in the Cave just as the sleeping Goblins awake; when Macsalin yells "Surrender or die!" (hoping to get one or at most two volunteeers).

Sabert is carefully leading Lanellan in and the others are guarding the cave entrance.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As the Dwarves charge in Macsalin kills one as he yells "Surrender or die!"

Giles has slit the throat of the one sleeping upright and is poised to stab the next from behind.

As the goblin awake, Dugar kills one, Rüdan another and Barazinbar a third.

Giles has the only one left.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Giles grabs the goblin instead of stabing it and puts a short sword to it's neck.

"Surrender or die, your choice."

Registered
    Feb 2009

The goblin drops his spear quickly and raises his arms. "Surrender, not die."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"Smart Goblin. Can someone tie him up please?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default ANother one bites the dust!

Macsalin thanks everyone, helps tie up the Goblin and suggests we re-organise:

- Rudan, Sabert and Lanellan return to guard the Cave entrance and kindly send in Speaker-to-Animals for his magic
    - Barinzabar guards the prisoner
    - Macsalin and Giles check the Goblins and room for traps and valuables, then Macsalin and Dugar check the tunnels for secret doors etc
    - Speaker-to-Animals takes over the prisoner interrogation

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Charm Person or Mammal

You are surrounded by dwarves and elves, but I will make them take the rope off and spare your life, and I will show you a safe way to go in a few minutes. Are there more of your kind near here? Does this cave lead anywhere? Is there anything dangerous here that might hurt me or the dwarves and elves (for they will kill you if they are hurt by it)?
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Goblin, "This cave leads nowhere, it is a sad haven for those few of us that escaped the unrelenting Dwarven scum and there horrid allies. The stinking Elves hunted us like game. They had those little sneaks to ferret us out of our least holes. We are a people destroyed."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Macsalin remarks:
    "Interesting - that's twice we've heard that the Goblins think they are losing heavily. Perhaps it's only small groups of Goblins each led by a talented leader that are doing all the damage."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Something is not right. Either the goblins are being told they are losing and are now operating as small units, they are being used as fodder, or they really are getting beat this bad.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"All quiet outside, so far" muses Lyall, I wonder how their questioning is going.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Macsalin thanks Speaker-to-Animals and leaves it to him to conclude the interview and departure of our prisoner.

We now know two Caves in the area that could be used for shelter (although of course Goblins know about them too).
    If we don't find any Cave secrets here, we can sort out anything worthwhile to keep from this bunch of Goblins, then move on.

Since only a couple of hours have passed in the day, we can have a good look around for more Goblins.
    We have Croak in the air, Giles for tracks on the ground and Little Bear for any interesting smells.
    Standard marching order.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Give the prisoner the same speech as the last one. I'm all in favour of pressing on after such an undemanding encounter.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

The goblin is agreeable though he looks a little surprised as he heads off.

The party begins to sweep out hoping for more signs of goblins.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Lanellen says "before you all leave i must let you know i will NOT be going with you any further. I can not be a party to people that hold life so cheap and who will kill sleeping enemies instead of trying to capture them. Here are some extra herbs for you savages to attempt to heal yourselves with"

With that she turns her horse from the partys trail and leaves.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Macsalin rolls his eyes at Lanellen's departure and comments.

In the previous combat, the party slept a bunch of Goblins.
    Macsalin led a party discussion on the problem of Goblin captives.
    The party then agreed on a deal with one co-operative Goblin and killed the rest of the sleeping Goblins, while Lanellan said nothing.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

One cannot please everybody. May Este's favour rest on our Healer and bring her safe home.

I should have liked to see her discuss it with Dugar, though.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

A shame that she has gone and I hope she does make it home safely.

Do we continue?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Note: No horse of course.

Rüdan would like to push on and asks if Lanellen could at least leave some Goodberries for the party.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It is a shame when anyone leaves, but we still have the estimable Speak-to-Animals for curing (any many other things!)

Macsalin is ready to continue, but is (as always) happy to hear party views.

Barinzabar states that his Armour will protect him and that he wants to continue to fight Goblins.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm ready to go on. We'll just have to trust to our armor, and each other, that much more.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

If no objections to pushing on, any specific plans or just back to search and find?

+ Reply to thread