Friggin Yankees, pathetic.
    Ah-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-HA!

Sorry.
    Hell is other people.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Baseball 2009 - June Edition

Who can love a team that betrayed a city. Dodgers, bah, no better than the Colts or the Ravens.

(Says Jim ironically as I do know the Yanks started as the Baltimore Orioles before moving to NYC, but really that was not the same, there was no decades long love affair destroyed when that happened.)(and it was all John McGraw's fault anyway.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Betrayed a city? No. We may have betrayed New York. But that's a whole 'nother thing. Besides, Jackie Robinson forgives us all our sins.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jackie was the bomb. His autobiographical movie, The Jackie Robinson Story, starring Jackie Robinson as Jackie Robinson, was pretty cool -- I have the DVD.
    Hell is other people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    Betrayed a city? No. We may have betrayed New York. But that's a whole 'nother thing. Besides, Jackie Robinson forgives us all our sins.
    Brooklyknights will take offense to being lumped with the rest of The City and when they take offense, you can be in a lot of trouble.

Jackie forgives nothing, he knows it was a betrayal of the fans that loved and welcomed him.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by beebs
    Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph
    I'm not so sure Matsuzaka won't be leaving the rotation...he's just been hideous this year...almost as bad as Wang.
    I believe he has a no-trade clause, and is too freakin' expensive to sit. I know I don't want him anywhere near my bullpen either, not when he's giving away walks like candy.

So yes, I agree. Almost as bad a Wang, but Boston is pretty much stuck with him for better or worse right now.
    Not just Dice-K but in general I never understood the argument that someone was too expensive to sit. If they freaking stink why would you want them playing? The money shouldn't enter into it.

I was away from this discussion for a couple of days but Gerry Callahan of the Herald thinks Dice-K should be moved to the pen, and there is a lot of talk of the Red Sox going with a 6 man rotation. I think I agree with Callahan (which let me tell you hardly ever happens). The other option is Dice-K is diagnosed with a mysterious injury and ends up on the disabled list.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph
    The other option is Dice-K is diagnosed with a mysterious injury and ends up on the disabled list.
    Can't-get-an-out-itis?
    Hell is other people.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

What a call...the Red Sox have put Matsuzaka on the DL with "shoulder weakness", the same thing he had earlier this year.

I guess there have been some allusions to possible off-field issues which I was not aware of.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just wantd to note that:

My man, Albert Pujols, is leading the league with 26 HRs. Stud.
    My man, Juan Pierre, is still up there at .337 and went 3-for-5 in his last game with two doubles, a run, two RBI AND a stolen base. Stud.
    My man, Tony Gwynn Jr., is hitting a scorching .348. Doing the old man, proud, kid! Stud.
    My man, Ichiro Suzuki, is hitting .358. Damn, that dude can rake! Stud.
    Hell is other people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

OK, the Yanks survived a bad outing by Pettitte by pounding Atlanta. The Bullpen did a very good job for 5+ innings to get this win in the books. Now comes the Yanks first visit to cross-town rivals the Mets at Citi-Field. It should be a good weekend of baseball.

A-Rod & Jeter have led the Yanks to the last two wins.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dodgers finally lost a series. Took 12 innings, but the White Sox won 2 of 3, the first time the Dodgers haven't at least split a series with anybody since sometime in early May. Now it's back home against Ichiro.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Holy shit! Did anybody else just see the Play of the Day? Eric Aybar of the Angels just hit a bunt home run against Arizona.

Bunt to the right of the pitcher, who overthrew the first baseman, which sent Aybar to third, who the right fielder also overthrew.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Some time in 5-10 years you might hear the trivia question. "Who was the only pitcher to record his first career RBI in the same game he got his 500th Save?"

The answer will be Mariano Rivera, the last man to wear #42 in Baseball as his regular number. That he did it to complete a sweep against the Mets is a good bonus. Here is a nice article on Rivera

So Wang finally got a win and he looked better. He gave up 2 runs in 5+ and nearly got his ERA below 10. His stuff was still not 100% though, so Yankees fans should not read too much into this. The Mets only score 3 all weekend. This was after CC & AJ looked great.

The bullpen looked very good again. Starters going deeper and finding the right mix from the stockpile in minors has really helped. Bruney getting healthy has been a boost to the 8th innings. Coke keeps looking better as the season progresses. Hughes has honestly been great. Aceves has also been very good. Rounding out the bullpen is David Robertson who is a solid youngster and only seem to have problems against Atlanta and Brett Tomko who is a fine 7th man in the bullpen. All but Mo and Tomko are under 30 and the Yanks still have more depth in the minors and might get Damaso Marte back someday.

Speaking of the minors, top prospect Austin Jackson has slumped of late, dropping down to .320 but he did hit two homers this week. He has 4 triples on the season and 16 doubles. He is 13 of 13 in Stolen Base attempts. He has a strong arm and is a very good Centerfielder by all reports. He of course needs to work on his strike outs. He is only 22 and a righty.

For catchers, the Yanks have two top prospects. Francisco Cervelli on the roster already and playing top notch defense with a great arm and a great feel for the game is a 23 year old righty. He is hitting well as a bonus, batting a respectable .269 with a homer. He should be replacing Molina as Posada’s backup next year and pick up more starts as Posada eases into the DH role with Damon and Matsui gone at the end of the year. The bigger prospect and maybe Posada’s successor is Jesus Montero who just got promoted to Trenton and is only 19. He is a big string right handed hitter. He lit up the Sally league and is already adjusting to AA where he has climbed to .288 batting average. There are still some questions about his defense but he is only 19 and a big time hitting prospect.

The Yankees line-up is running hot and cold, but A-Rod has warmed back up and Teixeira is getting pitches to swing at again. Now it is off to the Angels who always have the Yankees number.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    Some time in 5-10 years you might hear the trivia question. "Who was the only pitcher to record his first career RBI in the same game he got his 500th Save?"

The answer will be Mariano Rivera, the last man to wear #42 in Baseball as his regular number. That he did it to complete a sweep against the Mets is a good bonus. Here is a nice article on Rivera
    I had the pleasure of watching this last night before bed. Wait, no, I still haven't gone to bed, oh well. Forget all that, it was still great to watch live when Jeter was up. Rivera was putting on his batting helmet, Giardi was yakking at him to keep it off and trying to send someone else up to the on deck circle as a decoy. Then Rodriguez actually threw a first pitch strike to Jeter with 2 out and two runners on. ??

Yankees are evil, yah yah yah, but that was awesome seeing that whole thing including Rivera getting the walk/RBI, then the 500 milestone.

Your resident Bahston boy.
    beebs

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Mets do some very odd stuff. I actually think they should be looking to make so low level trades like as an example, trade a single A prospect for Shelley Duncan of the Yanks in AAA. He has more power and actually plays better D than what they have and the Prospect would not have to be a major one. There has to be some AAAA players out there that can help them, even if they can't land a big hitter to help the team.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yankees picked up Eric Hinske today for two 23 year old A ball palyers. Hinske is going on 32. He plays 1b, 3b and OF so he could be a useful utility player but I am unsure of the need or the reason for the pick up. Here is the kicker. Pittsburg through in cash.

The minor league players are : Eric Fryer C and Casey Erickson RP.

This could be a prelude to another trade. I wonder if they found a taker on Swisher perhaps?

Details on Hinske: Height/Weight: 6-1/235 | Birthdate: 08/05/1977 | Birthplace: Menasha, WI | Bats/Throws: L/R | Team: Pittsburgh | MLB Experience: 8 | Salary: $1,500,000

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd guess they just wanted someone who could spot Arod once a week. Not sure why they didn't pick up someone like this before the season instead goes with Ransom the first 6 weeks.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh I'd like to spot Arod more than once a week and I'd do it for free.... ohh wait, nevermind. That's not what you meant.

I admit to a bit of "huh?" at picking up Hinske.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Red Sox were up 10-1 over he O's and gave up 5 per in the 7th and 8th. The O's are trying to close out this remarkable comeback. Two outs now but Youk is up with Green on 1st.

Yanks won their 6th straight.

Youk Hit By Pitch. Bay is up.

Bay struck out swinging. (fastball)

Red Sox blow a 10-1 lead to the O's.

Yanks now at 2˝ back!

Registered
    Feb 2009

The July thread is here.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

+ Reply to thread