+ Reply to thread

Thread: Crop Circle time again

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Crop Circle time again

Welcome to Summer in the English countryside as the crops grow and drunk students try out their latest art/maths project under the influence of several galloons of cider.

Now this is what I call a Crop Circle, a 600ft jellyfish in an Oxfordshire field.

That must have taken some effort to plan out.

Or was it the little green men or just a natural phenomenom?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Crop Circle time again

Nice.

Another group of anonymous artists with a surprising lack of need for recognition, strike again.

Come on guys, stop being so shy! We all know they aren't done by ET's or earth spirits.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"We are looking into the meaning of it, but at present it just seems to have appeared out of nowhere."
    "Our preliminary interpretation is that some unknown force wants humans to plant more jellyfish crops."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mars needs peanut butter!
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

[img ]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01414/jellyfish1_1414867c.jpg[ /img]

Wonder if this works?

ETA: Yup, image works here as well.

Just curious as to whether it would be good having an image here as well to show what the story is about?
    Any comments?

Registered
    Feb 2009

There is a perectly good image in the link in the OP.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

True, but would having a picture of it in the thread enhance the story or is it easy ernough to just click on the link for the full story and image?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit
    True, but would having a picture of it in the thread enhance the story or is it easy ernough to just click on the link for the full story and image?

Clicking on the link does the trick.

I wonder how many people it took to complete task in order for it to appear overnight?

Neat.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I read in a newspaper yesterday that the landowners claim that this crop circle has done £600,000 of damage, must be bloody expensive wheat/corn.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Walker in Eternity
    I read in a newspaper yesterday that the landowners claim that this crop circle has done £600,000 of damage, must be bloody expensive wheat/corn.
    It's opium.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

It is quadrotriticale; a high-yield perennial, genetically engineered four-lobed hybrid of wheat and rye.

Registered
    Feb 2009

A Russian inwention!
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

What kind of artists don't leave a signature of some kind?

Anybody want to take a guess at what kind of people would go to such lengths, and then not claim any recognition for their work?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by terrifel
    It is quadrotriticale; a high-yield perennial, genetically engineered four-lobed hybrid of wheat and rye.
    Damn you, I actually googled.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    Anybody want to take a guess at what kind of people would go to such lengths, and then not claim any recognition for their work?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say people whose work would get them arrested. Or space aliens.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, they are just the geek equivalent of graffiti artists then? Don't graffiti artists usually leave some identifying marker?

Registered
    Mar 2009

What kind of artists don't leave a signature of some kind?

My guess would be the kind of people who find it more entertaining to sit back and watch others offer explanations involving magnetic vortices or space aliens.

Thank you, anonymous midnight corn-knockers-over.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like those crazy aliens are back at it again, this time predicting the end of the world as we know it.

Got to admit, it's pretty impressive. A 400 foot phoenix

Story here

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

There's lots here. I love the dragonfly!
    "We don't need to all lose glitter privileges because one kid makes a sparkly penis on the carpeting." - Excalibur

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, these jolly pranksters like to try and spread a little fear, as well as show how clever they are?

I still want to see live footage of a complex one being done in the dark, or a Louis Theroux special on the underground world of crop-circle makers.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, these jolly pranksters like to try and spread a little fear, as well as show how clever they are?

I still want to see live footage of a complex one being done in the dark, or a Louis Theroux special on the underground world of crop-circle makers.
    I'd like to see these guys locked up for a bit. I don't like people who have no respect for the property and welfare of others.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I thought the damage to crops was usually offset by the money the landowner can charge for allowing access into their field? And they haven't even had to do any work for it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I thought the damage to crops was usually offset by the money the landowner can charge for allowing access into their field? And they haven't even had to do any work for it.
    Are you suggesting that excuses the crime? I'm used to you rationalizing your own criminal history, but you're usually hypocritically harsh on other offenders.

Banned
    Registered
    Jul 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    Are you suggesting that excuses the crime? I'm used to you rationalizing your own criminal history, but you're usually hypocritically harsh on other offenders.
    A question for you Baldwin: Is theft ever morally justified?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by SBSO
    Sometimes. But we're not talking about Jean Valjean here.

Banned
    Registered
    Jul 2009

No, but we are talking about a relatively tiny amount of damage caused to the benefit of almost everyone else; and by this stage crop circles are effectively an occupational hazard for farmers.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, but we are talking about a relatively tiny amount of damage caused to the benefit of almost everyone else; and by this stage crop circles are effectively an occupational hazard for farmers.
    I hope you're joking.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My theory? Alien teenagers trying to freak out us Earthlings. If we could decipher them, it would be, "For a good time, call Zolta" and "Haydar was here!"
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd like to see these guys locked up for a bit. I don't like people who have no respect for the property and welfare of others.
    I believe the traditional approach is to harangue the rapscallions from the front porch while wearing Bermuda shorts and black socks.

Banned
    Registered
    Jul 2009

I hope you're joking.
    Nope. I'm going to guess you've been to the countryside once in your life.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like it's not kids, it's wallabies .

Registered
    Feb 2009

Best explanation, EVAH!

I was having a look at the Wikipedia article and read this

Critics have cited what they refer to as the "shyness factor". This alludes to the fact that no crop-circle makers have been caught in the act. This assertion is not true however, and there are cases of circle makers being apprehended, including one high-profile case in 1998 when a circle was made for the media and the makers interrupted when seen in the act. In most cases, it appears that the creation of crop circles is a nocturnal activity. Usually nothing is reported, and during one attempt to observe the creation of a crop circle, numerous individuals witnessed nothing out of the ordinary, yet were astounded to see a crop circle in the field only a short distance away from the one they had been watching the next morning
    The conclusion wasn't quite the same as the article cited that it was taken from, on the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry webpage,

# The Shyness Factor. A fourth characteristic of the cropfield phenomenon is its avoidance of being observed in action. It is largely nocturnal, and the designs even appear to specifically resist being seen, as shown by Operation White Crow. That was an eight-night vigil maintained by about sixty cereologists in June 1989. Not only did no circles appear in the field chosen for surveillance but-although there had already been almost a hundred formations that summer, with yet another 170 or so to occur-not a single circle was reported during the period anywhere in England. Then a large circle-and-ring formation was discovered about 500 yards away on the very next day!
    Tbh, I'm still not sure what the above is trying to prove, but it certainly isn't conclusive of anything.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I hope you're joking.
    A few times. People who rely on crops for their livelihood don't like vandals trespassing and trampling their fields.

Banned
    Registered
    Jul 2009

I hope you're joking.
    A few times. People who rely on crops for their livelihood don't like vandals trespassing and trampling their fields.
    You would be surprised how little they are bothered by crop circles, actually - they are just too rare to care about

Registered
    Feb 2009

Thing is, any sad bastards who aren't creating works of art out of a natural canvas, and are still at the bottom level of Crop Circles 101, absolutely deserve to be arrested and beaten with a rotten haddock until they are very sorry indeed.

Whereas I'd like to know who these creatively technical geniuses are and see their ninja-like moves in action. Damn, those crop-circling savants have got to be the shyest, most humble artists, that I have ever heard of. They don't even sign off with a pseudonym!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

You would be surprised how little they are bothered by crop circles, actually - they are just too rare to care about
    Not only that, but I would stick my neck out and say that they couldn't give the slightest crap about crops that the EU pay them to grow, seeing as there is no intention of the product ever reaching a consumer market. After all, the purpose of growing the worthless crop - usually oil seed rape instead of wheat or maize - is to artificially inflate the price of grain.

And before anyone gets all self-righteous, I have one word; "Wisconsin".
    Anything is possible if you use enough lubricant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Guizmeaux
    Not only that, but I would stick my neck out and say that they couldn't give the slightest crap about crops that the EU pay them to grow, seeing as there is no intention of the product ever reaching a consumer market. After all, the purpose of growing the worthless crop - usually oil seed rape instead of wheat or maize - is to artificially inflate the price of grain.

Yes.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Let me get this straight. the EU is paying English farmers to grow useless crops to support wheat farmers in Wisconsin?
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer
    Let me get this straight. the EU is paying English farmers to grow useless crops to support wheat farmers in Wisconsin?
    Yeah, I think it's something to do with all that globalisation stuff I've been hearing about.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Anyone want to give me a best 'guestimate' how long it would have taken to have done the jellyfish in the OP?

I suppose the more people involved, the quicker it would be achieved, but it brings to mind the old Russian saying, "two people can keep a secret...if one of them is dead." - or something like that.

Are we to suppose that these "Circle-makers" only discuss their nocturnal activities with other like-minded, extremely secretive folk?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by Caerie

Yes.
    My tone was a little aggressive - sorry about that - but I'm guessing you know what I mean. I'm obviously not a dairy farmer so I'm bound to be negative toward him, but William Proxmire made me so damned mad.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Are we to suppose that these "Circle-makers" only discuss their nocturnal activities with other like-minded, extremely secretive folk?
    Well yeah, pretty much. That is the whole point of the joke, after all.

It's a bit like stage magic: most magicians do not demonstrate how the tricks are done, because that kills the effect. A rabbit that seemingly appears from an empty hat is magic. A rabbit that appears from a specially prepared pocket is not magic. Similarly, a mysterious crop circle that seemingly appears from nowhere will end up on the news and potentially published in books on the subject; while a crop circle produced by a couple of guys knocking down corn probably won't garner any attention other than perhaps a misdemeanor vandalism charge.

And what if the perpetrators do talk about it afterward, to friends or family? "Hey, you remember that big jellyfish crop circle that was on the news a few weeks ago? A bunch of us did that on a lark." At that point, what difference does it make? The story's already out there.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My tone was a little aggressive - sorry about that - but I'm guessing you know what I mean. I'm obviously not a dairy farmer so I'm bound to be negative toward him, but William Proxmire made me so damned mad.
    Oh, I didn't take it aggressively at all. I know exactly what you mean. It's all a house of cards and it disgusts me.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by Caerie
    Oh, I didn't take it aggressively at all. I know exactly what you mean. It's all a house of cards and it disgusts me.
    Thank you, Caerie. I'm preaching to the choir but;

It's not so much that I am a proponent of space industry, and so objected to him spending a weekend shaving $80K off NASA's budget.

My problem is that he milked* the system in any way he could to protect his own position, got uppity at others doing the same as he was, and gave no acknowledgement to the fact that he was perpetuating theft from taxpayers and greed of his electorate.

Grr. The worst thing is that I have to acknowledge that he was sometimes right, (according to my own value system. Others may vary).

*All puns in this post are entirely accidental.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Anyone want to give me a best 'guestimate' how long it would have taken to have done the jellyfish in the OP?

I suppose the more people involved, the quicker it would be achieved, but it brings to mind the old Russian saying, "two people can keep a secret...if one of them is dead." - or something like that.

In answer to this, I would say, "The hours of darkness". Maybe 5-6 hours, though that jellyfish is quite impressive if done in that time.

And it wouldn't have taken that many people - maybe four - since it is usual to pre-calculate the pattern, draw it out on graph paper, go into the field during the day to plant locus stakes to which you attach guide strings, then use a GPS unit to guide yourself around on the night.

As for who they talk to, I wouldn't know.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, assuming the above is the more prosaic and likely solution, do you suppose they have no interest in recording their achievements for posterity, and are happy just to tip off a nearby 'circle enthusiast' and wait until their feat appears in the press?

Registered
    Feb 2009

If someone could give me some research tips on how to determine how all the 'complex crop-patterns' came into the public eye, I'd be interested in having a go at finding out who these secretively shy artists are.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Ivan, I reckon it's just one of those charming little quirks of ours. It is surprising that they've kept their identities secret for so long, especially since it's almost a certainty that multiple groups are involved.

If there is any bragging going on, (most hackers feel the need to, and this is certainly a "hack" in the traditional sense) then it's either happening on a BBS, or on a dusty host somewhere without a DNS entry and spidering blocked...

But they are recorded for posterity of course - by the media. And I wouldn't be too surprised to find a handful of private pilots in their midst.

As for when it came into the public eye, I have a feeling that the trail has probably run cold by now. The first crop circle seems to have appeared in 1678 in Hertfordshire.

Registered
    Mar 2009

And it wouldn't have taken that many people - maybe four - since it is usual to pre-calculate the pattern, draw it out on graph paper, go into the field during the day to plant locus stakes to which you attach guide strings, then use a GPS unit to guide yourself around on the night.
    They didn't have GPS location units in 1678.

The hobby, for I personally doubt it is the work of space aliens, predates modern technology by over 400 years.

Cartooniverse
    If you want to kiss the sky, you'd better learn how to kneel.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cartooniverse
    They didn't have GPS location units in 1678.

The hobby, for I personally doubt it is the work of space aliens, predates modern technology by over 400 years.

Cartooniverse

FFS. Well no, of course not. I was referring to the most recent ones, in direct reply to Ivan's question;

In the 17th C, I would guess they would have had more people. They certainly had less complex designs, but the other equipment was just the same: rope, boards and paper & pencil.

+ Reply to thread